The Scarab Rush - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Scarab Rush

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Scarab Rush. What can I say other than it works.

Just played a 1500 point game against a Tau with a lot of big guns, but then what Tau army doesn't have a lot of big guns!

I fielded, the Nightbringer, Lord with Res Orb, 1 unit of 5 immortals, 3 units of 10 Warriors, 1 unit of 3 Wraiths and 2 units of 8 Scarabs.

I set up so that the Lord was in the center of the force with the units of warriors and immortals around him. The Nightbringer was just in front of them. I then deployed the Scarabs on either flank, with the Wraiths behind them on the side with the most cover.

Then all i did was turbo boost the scarabs up the flanks, with the wraiths in support and move the rest of the force forward. All the enemies firepower was drawn to the scarabs, like i thought it would be, and although they took out one unit of scarabs, the other unit made it into hth along with my wraiths and that was game over.

I don't think i'm ever going to field destroyers again, because if you use scarabs correctly 20 of them are far more useful than 5 destroyers, and 10 points cheaper as well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just got into Necrons and I have been wanting to try out this tactic myself. Now that we got the turbo boost rule. Thanks for letting us know how it works! But I must say that fielding 1 squad of destroyers might help to draw attention, giving more of your scarabs a better chance to get themselves into CC. Just a thought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The destroyers are just too expensive and too easy for them all to be taken out in one turn.

Normally I wouldn't field the Nightbringer in such a small points game, but i think he's kind of fun, especially when he starts to close on the enemies lines!!!

Senior Member SendMoreParamedics's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

psh, beating up on the tau really isnt much to be proud of. when dont the tau get owned by the necrons?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by SendMoreParamedics@Oct 2 2004, 01:19
    psh, beating up on the tau really isnt much to be proud of. when dont the tau get owned by the necrons?
    [snapback]222188[/snapback]
    When there's not much cover and they have a big distance to cover. Table we use is larger than the norm. 5" x 6".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, I use this tactic (or at least I use the 2 squads of maxed out scarab swarms with disruption fields) against armies that have a piece of artillery hidden behind some terrain someplace. That way I have an alternative route to busting their tanks apart from shooting. Additionally, since they count as jetbikes for movement purposes, they can now fly over enemy units to get to the tanks behind them, in the 4th edition rules. Good times :o

Timbo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate scarbes. Maybe you guys have magic juice that you sprinkle on them that make them like termies, but I do not But mine always get poped on the first turn by a basy or a russ... This is exactly why I would never spen the points on them. However I might use them in lower point games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Think about this:

2 FULL units of scarabs, stretching coherency to the utmost can almost span across the WHOLE table....... just make a skirmish line or 2, rush up to an inch away from your enemy's entire fronline (make sure not to turbo boost there, as you'll not be able to assault this turn or the next due to coherency if your opponent is smart) then lock up his whole frontline in cc. due to the nature of pile in now that you have to maintain coherency in CC this should result in a big mess in the middle of his line by the 2nd or 3rd turn of cc, about this time the scarabs should be dead andd you can drop an Ord temp from the 'lith onto most (if not ALL) of his army. Of course this isn't always practical with the new coherency rule, but against horde armies who field large numbers of units in the front of their Dep. zone, this will help funnel them into a nice large mess, AND disrupt his firing and movement. And with the fearless nature of scarabs you can pretty much count on it to provide you time to maneuver your forces to a more tactical position if you need to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Wizard@Oct 2 2004, 20:25
    I hate scarbes. Maybe you guys have magic juice that you sprinkle on them that make them like termies, but I do not But mine always get poped on the first turn by a basy or a russ... This is exactly why I would never spen the points on them. However I might use them in lower point games.
    [snapback]222626[/snapback]
    Space them out, don't put them all together. Start them in or behind cover if you can.

2 units of 10 will cost you 240 points. Deploy them on either flank and turbo boost them up the flanks. Try to keep them out of the assault range of the enemy.

The idea is that your opponent will have to shoot the scarabs or he will get some of his army tied up. In fact a full squad of scarabs can cause a lot of damage with 40 attacks. Whilst this is going on you can manouevre the rest of your force in to position.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wait a minute...are you guys sure that scarabs can turboboost? The rules say that they are infantry but move like jetbikes. The staff at a local GW said according to the new rules that the scarabs can only move 12" and not turboboost since they are infantry... so what's the deal?

BTW, using the Turboboost disruption field scarabs on the week-end I managed to diasble 2 Space Marine Rhinos, a Cybot and a Landraider..my SM opponent was freaking since all his CC units were way up front.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast