Trueborn, Better shooters or fighters - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trueborn, Better shooters or fighters

So I tried the trueborn unit with all the sweet guns, the blasters, the shredders, the sc's but they never really did all that well and died almost right off the bat without even coming close to earning their points worth.

So i've decided to put 2 sc's in a unit of 10, with a dracon with Agonizer and blast pistol. While the other 7 will have the cc weapon and pistol. All with haywire grenades as well. This would give them 3 attacks base and 4 on the charge or even 5 if they have furious charge. I was planning on having them run out of the wwp and putting the hurt on from there.

What are your guys thoughts on this way of using the Trueborn? Imo, this unit has alot of potential to take on infantry horde or otherwise and with the Blast pistol and haywires they can kill some tanks and dreads.

Thanks for the in-put.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    188 (x4)

First off, Furious Charge doesn't give you more attacks, it give a boost to Strength and Initiative.

And second, while I think they could hold their own against non-CC units, why exactly are you trying to use them for this role? They're primarily a shooting unit so why try to turn them into a CC unit when we have very good CC choices already?

If you pay the 1 point to give them plasma grenades (which they're gonna need cause they can't take hits) then you might as well just take Bloodbrides and get the Dodge save, combat drugs, and higher initiative for free. Yeah your save drops by one, but if you're getting shot by bolters or are in cover it doesn't matter either way.

And if you're using them out of the WWP I'd suggest giving beasts a try.

Basically my question is why are you trying to put a square peg into a round hole when we have a codex full of round pegs?
    The meat things seek to destroy ourselves. They hunt us as we hunt them but they are weak and uncertain. Bring them understanding of the power of ourselves through our strength and their fear. The inferior flesh will be entirely destroyed, all fragments will be smashed. Ourselves will fight to the last, all weak flesh must be consumed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

You'd be better off with even ordinary Wyches rather than melee Trueborn. The Trueborn have no survivability whatsoever whereas the Wyches get that sweet, sweet invulnerable save in melee. Heck, the Trueborn don't even have grenades as standard, and Wyches are much cheaper, not to mention the (admittedly random) Combat Drugs.

If you upgrade the Trueborn with plasma grenades, they cost just as much per model as Bloodbrides, except the Bloodbrides -once again- get that invulnerable save, Combat Drugs, grenades as standard and higher initiative.

All in all... The Trueborn should just stick with shooting and leave close combat to the Angry Ladies. =)

*EDIT*

Drat, beaten by BnO xD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My apologies, I was getting the furious charge benefits mixed up, you're right it is plus one initiative.

Otherwise these are very good points, I am new to the dark eldar and having only ever played Tau before am farely new to the whole CC aspect of the game all together.

I have limited models at the moment, I only have 9 wyches which were converted from old mandrakes, being as I won an old dark eldar army off of one of my buddies. I guess I was really just trying to bolster my CC models that I had available.

Thanks for the in-put guys.

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Trueborn can be used in assault reasonably effectively - however it isn't a clear cut as wyches/bloodbrydes/incubi are, they are the true masters who will outperform trueborn pretty much no matter what you do.

However, trueborn can be a complete package with both heavy firepower and above average assault, but you will be paying through the nose for this combined ability. A unit of trueborn with splinter carbines, 2 splintercannon and a dracon with agoniser and phantasm grenade launcher will set you back a fair bit, but the sheer amount of gunfire it will unleash at close range is devastating - you then charge to mop up. You can use ghostplate armour and the other weapons but the cost will rocket even from that.

While hey can get CCW/pistol this is probably not a great idea - the extra attack doesn't do that much on a unit that has no real way to back it up given the loss in firepower.

+ Reply to Thread