New player, looking for intelligent buys! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

New player, looking for intelligent buys!

While I am no stranger to the 40k universe, no one I know plays dark eldar. My primary army is CSM, and I wanted to do something different, so DE it is.

My main question is what are definite buys/must haves, and what are things to pass on until either boredom or excess cash drive me to get them?

When I started CSM, I read countless pages of tactica, and many battle reports, gleaning whatever I could from them. DE on the other hand have an interesting problem, very few battle reports since the new codex, and the most recent tactica I have so far found is from '08. While I like my local GW red-shirts, they all play space marines and their various chapters, so their advice is based off of what looks good on paper.

Hopefully you can help me not waste a lot of my time and money by shedding some light on what units work well on the field, as opposed to those who work in theory.

Thank you in advance.

The day will not save them. And we own the night.
    CSM: W:25, D:3, L:9
    DE:W:2, D:0, L:0

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

Mandrakes are still trash, other than that I think it's just "get what pleases you" pretty much. That's the joy of having an up to date codex

I would say to pick a theme though. For example, if you just took a single raider it would be easily singled out and picked off. You need to saturate whatever targets you'll be presenting.
    Copy, Improve, Innovate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

a good start would be Warriors, Raiders, Wyches, and Ravagers
    unless you are going for a heavily themed list all these units are usually included in lists.
    Warriors- can double up as trueborn, staple in gunboat lists and WWP lists
    Raider-unless your footslogging you will need a few of these, even in a WWP list you will use them
    Wyches- double as bloodbrides, even Gunboat lists can still benefit from a CC unit or 2
    Ravager- the best way to get ranged Anti-tank in the list, the only time you might not use it is if you are going Talos heavy WWPs

If I was just starting I would probably get stuff in this order
    Warriors
    Raider
    Wyches
    Raider
    Ravager

This should be a good base to give u a feel for DE and you will use these units in almost all lists. you really can't go wrong as it seems everything in our codex is at the very least useful in some way. get what looks cool to you and you can't go wrong
    I also disagree that mandrakes are Trash, they lack killing power but small units of them are fairly cheap and can really throw off opponents plans when played well.
    "Thank him who puts me loath to this revenge on you who wrong me not for him who wrongd"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

Thanks for the tips.

In addition, I meant to be more specific, but was tired when I wrote the topic. I plan on running (at first) a raider list. I love the idea of moving in fast, hitting hard, and leaving little in the way of useful retaliation. I will probably use a WWP list eventually, but for starters, I want fast and furious DE! After reading some of the codex I fell in love with the idea of winning big or not at all. Having not seen them in action, I can only speculate, but it seems they are suited to wiping out as much as they can as fast as possible, as a protracted battle is not in their interests. I understand I will have to learn a slightly adjusted target priority, and a vastly different playstyle, but thats what I'm here for.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

YouTube - BoLS Batrep 67 - Dark Eldar vs Orks Warhammer 40k.mp4

Here's a batrep of Darkwynn playing vs Goatboy from Bell of Lost Souls with his beautiful new raider based DE army. It's only one game but you can get a feel for how a raider list plays on the field. Great ending too

You can find his list on his blog:
    Darkwynn's Corner
    Copy, Improve, Innovate

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

Thanks for that link, which spawns a few questions.

!. Are MSU of warriors preferable to the 10man squad? I figured more DLs was better. This generally comes from me wanting to fill a transport if I take one.

2. On the raiders, flickerfield simply not worth it, or just a preference?

3. As a thought, move disembark and fire, or fire from the vehicle? I would think disembark into cover to fire, as if the vehicle explodes, you can (possibly) take less wounds.

4. Where to get venoms? His look awesome.

Can't think of any other questions for now, back to reading the dex.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say the best idea would be to take your CSM army and proxy a DE force. Play a good 5-10 games and try out different combos. You will quickly see what units work for you. Thats the best advice I can give you.

There are more ways to build your force in the new dex. As mentioned above, warriors can be made into trueborn and wyches into blood brides. The new box kits are really terrific with their kit bashing possibilities.

!. Are MSU of warriors preferable to the 10man squad? I figured more DLs was better. This generally comes from me wanting to fill a transport if I take one.
    I personally run 4 wych squads and 2 msu warrior units. The wych squads are 9-10 strong based on two of them having an IC join and raider size. The two warrior squads are 5 man just to buy two venoms and to have back field objective holders. IMO warriors became overprices as DL's are very expensive and you need 10+ to get them into a squad. I use four man trueborn squads with two DL's. Its the most effective way Ive found to get DL's into my list.

2. On the raiders, flickerfield simply not worth it, or just a preference?
    I have FF's on every vehicle. I only put NS's on my venom and ravs. My reason is my venoms (which come with FF) and Ravs are designed to stay out at max range which helps with survivability. My raiders need to deliver wyches in CC. Like any mech force, the more mech on the table, the more your opponent's AT gets spread out. While the 5++ save isn't quite as good as a 4+ cover save of smoke, it is cost effective and things like markerlights and templates won't strip the cover.

3. As a thought, move disembark and fire, or fire from the vehicle? I would think disembark into cover to fire, as if the vehicle explodes, you can (possibly) take less wounds.
    That depends on a lot of factors. If you need to move 12 then the only way you can fire you troops is by disembarking. But just like troops in a rhino, they have more survivability on the transport.

4. Where to get venoms? His look awesome.
    Assuming you mean the transport, the model is rumored to be out later this year. So like the fighter and bomber, you need to create your own. I am currently taking my 3rd edition raiders and removing the driver (cutting the vertical fin completely off) and removing the the front end cowling. I then take eldar vypers and mate the vyper cockpit to the raider without the outside gunner. Im still in the process of fitting out some blades and standards from the new raider kit onto it. I like it so far as it looks similar to the drawing in the dex.

Hope that helps in some way. I strongly suggest several proxy games to decide what you like and dislike.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best advise I can give you, is ignor everything your read from before this year, and ignor everyhting that looks like what a space marine player would do. Every dark eldar unit is tailored to a specific purpose, or a waste of points. For instance, a warrior squad built to destroy a vehicle and kill infantry, and has a power weapon is about the worst mistake you can make. Space marines have 3+ armor save to weather the storm, dark eldar have 5+. Statistically you will lose that squad before it does a single thing, much less multiple things, making that multi role purpose a waste of points.

You can tailor a list to whatever your style is, whether it be hammer and anvil, ranged weapon spam, alpha strike, etc. Movement is your key feature in any list though, you have to overcome your 48" range mentality though and realize you get 36" range with a 12" move, making mistakes in movement completely unforgiving. You will quickly realize flanking your opponent with not just a unit or two, but your entire army is key, so you can concentrate more firepower on that side of the board then your opponent can return, otherwise you are just sending your army through a grinder. Realize that you will not outgun an IG, out alpha strike a BA, out horde a Ork, or out assault a Tyranid. A hammer and anvil approach will quickly become your friend, but creating a list that fits your idea of what that is is a complicated and exhausting task. Proxy models before you buy a single one (I just spent the last 3 months doing this) until you settle on a list you are comfortable with.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

What I plan to do is start with 1000-1500 points worth of a Raider list, Then when I expand to 2000+ points I'll start buying WWP models (like beastmasters etc)
    The first 1000 points will be the WWP delivery system+things that WWP units can't do (Long Range AT etc)

Again Proxy anything before you buy it, especially the WWP units. I was going to go 100% WWP list but after a few games I realized It just wasin't working for me.
    "Thank him who puts me loath to this revenge on you who wrong me not for him who wrongd"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What I can recommend is to ensure you take one Haemonculus per close combat squad you have. (Don't forget one HQ choice will give you 1-3 Haemonculuses.) That way, your squads will start with a pain token each.

I equip them with a Liquifier guns which, with their random AP, are great at softening up the targets before the charge hits.

If your opponents take lots of vehicles, stick your wyches on raiders with Enhanced Aether Sails and give them Haywire Grenades.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast