Thoughts on Hive Guard - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thoughts on Hive Guard

I'm relatively new to 'Nids and I have been looking for some fire support for my genestealer horde army. I want to avoid MC's and was wondering what the overall view on Hive Guard with their impaler cannons.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

Possibly the best anti transport in the book, very rare for them not to suit a list. Not the be all and end all of anti tank, but i take 6 in almost every list i write, theyre just that good.
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Heirodule is correct, for anti-tank you can't get much better. Any nid list without them tends to get merked by mech lists.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Shire can't handle me Warlord Vrrmik's Avatar
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2085 (x8)

Hive Guard are a necessity. They are just too good not to use. And for 50 points each, what's not to love about them? I wouldn't take 6 every game though...

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by trollzwei View Post
    I'm relatively new to 'Nids and I have been looking for some fire support for my genestealer horde army. I want to avoid MC's and was wondering what the overall view on Hive Guard with their impaler cannons.
    Hive Guard are wonderful. But they can't supply every need you have. Especially for a ... "genestealer horde"?! I hope you're not serious! "Stealer Shock" was a terrible army list in 4th edition with the old codex. It's actually worse in 5th edition with the new codex.

If I had to guess, you're finding it difficult to combat even semi-mechanized opponents. They can wall you off with expendable transports, make you waste time with rending claws. Or they can tank shock you into flame-template ready formations. Or they can simply run away from you and make you chase them until the game ends. Or they can deploy far away from you and then do any or all of the above.

Look, you can't build a quality 'nids list without some MCs. And you can't build a quality 'nids list without serious long-range firepower. Hive Guard can only help you in the short-range firepower department. They're excellent for what they do, but there is a reason the 'nids have easy access to Heavy Venom Cannons (twin-linked on Harpies!) and a massive 48" S10 weapon on a 2+ save MC. If you're serious about adding "some fire support" to your army -- whatever it is -- you need MCs. Period. Hive Guard cannot do it all. Canny opponents will be smart enough to deploy out of Hive Guard range and then shoot them down first -- if not find a way to bog them down in an assault -- while piddling around with your stealers in all the ways I described above.

Ditch your stealer shock army and build a good army -- a balanced army -- instead. One that includes not just a smattering of Hive Guard, but one that includes serious firepower in every force organization slot.
    Last edited by number6; January 22nd, 2011 at 06:04.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the responses. Looks like at least a couple of Hive guard are a worthwhile addition.

@ number6: I am aware that "stealer shock" isn't the most competitive format for an army; however for my local gaming scene it works just fine. We mostly do narrative missions under 1850 pt, where the sides may or not be matched anyway. Cities of death (or space corridors of death) being very common themes. Very rarely is there LOS to anything over 20" let alone the need for 48" of range.

This being my 5th army, the simple fact that all those 'stealers on the table make me smile is good enough for me. If I want a ded-hard killy army then I bring my orks or my space marines, but for grins and giggles usually the 'nids hit the table right now.

Thanks again to everyone,

-TZ

jboweruk

Actually down at a thousand points my stealers did okay, in the first three matches it was w1 l1 d1 for my army. Only while an argument went on over the Mawloc TftD power and cover saves did I start to lose every match, where my opponents were all getting 4 up saves from the thing, we've (thank God) resolved it now but haven't used that army since as I pulled out of our tournament.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    156 (x3)

Hive guard are a decent city-fight unit where you can't get LOS on something until you're really close. They excel at shooting through walls and remaining safe. The downside is their short range. From your setup they sound like a solid fit. But give thought to throwing out a MC or two and try them out. They can make you smile just as much as a wall of stealers. More-so in fact when one shreds a target into little steaming bits.

+ Reply to Thread