Biovores? Are they good? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Ontario, Canada
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

9 (x1)

Biovores? Are they good?

Hey, I know I don't post much on this forum, but I do read a lot of your posts.

Recently I read the post on Dark Eldar and tips for facing them. And just have one question.

Are biovores a good investment? I have been playing 'nids for 4 years now and never once used them. In 4th I ran lots of MCs, practically nidzilla, well like every other good nid player.

Just wondering if there a good thing to get, cause I really want to expand my army into the "newer" units like trigons, amazing hive guard and converting some of my many fexes into tervies.

Thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements

The Village
    18 Post(s)
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

In the right list, yes, Biovores are good. Depends on your army list though, they aren't as versatile as a Carnifex, which can be kitted out to do just about anything you might need.

If your army is short on anti-infantry shooting, and you have a Heavy slot open, go ahead and take a unit.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

San Jose
    15 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Personally, I like them a lot. So much that recently, I've swapped out my 2 trygons for 1 tyrannofex w/rupture cannon and 3 biovores.

But really, it's up to your personal prefererence and play-style. If you want a more assault-oriented or a reserves-based nid army, than trygons are what you are probably looking for. Such a list relies on hive guards, zoans and the occasional heavy venom cannon to pop open transports, and then your swarms and trygons to eat the disembarked infantry.

If you play a shooty, balanced nid army, then biovores go well with such an army. Pop open tanks with hive guards, devourers, zoans, heavy venom cannons and tyrannofexes from a distance, and then drop a lot of templates on disembarked infantry before closing in for the kill.

Both types of lists could be effective. I find the biovore/tyrannofex list to be a little more resilient because they don't die quite as easily as trygons rushing into melta/plasma double-tap range without cover. The only thing is that the shooty tyranid build is a little more static in that you aren't rushing in to engage the enemy as quickly as common tyranid armies typically try to do. Instead, it's a gunline army that is always moving forwards slowly.

For examples of a biovore-shooty tyranid list, you can check out my 2 battle reports:

2000pts Tyranids vs Witch Hunters

2500pts 'Ard Boyz Dark Eldar Alpha Strike Army vs Shooty Tyranids w/Biovores!
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

+ Reply to Thread