Deathrains - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Deathrains

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Deathrains

Ok this has been a little issue thats been boggling me for a long time now. What is the obsession with putting a target array on deathrains for? the majority of the time you would be far far better off putting a flamer on that third hard point. TL is hella reliable without needs any more BS (or else pathfinders). i know theres the whole possible kill/probable kill element but 6 twin linked missles onto a rhino is gonna be pretty damn painful. Tehn weigh up the pros of taking the flamer, 3 templates on a mass of orcs hammering down onto your frontline is gonna be far far more effective then pumping a couple of missles or plasma rounds into them. And you save urself 18 points per 3 man unit, not a huge gain but hey its something.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

I'm with you, Kinsella. I think points savings and the outside possibility of using flamers is the way to go.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use TA on my deathrains because the ability to re-roll doesn't mean I'm gonna hit. The TA improves my chances to hit so I can destroy light vehicles more easily for that is their primary job. I also use TA so I use less markerlights on a target vehicle, I need only to hit 4 times instead of five times so I get rid of a 4+ cover and hit on 2+.

As I for putting flamers on deathrains seems kinda odd for them for they are usually in the back of the army shooting things so their opportunity to use flames on close objects effectively become kinda short ended. compared to a TL flamer unit is up front and can position themselves to be used better.

well this is the thoughts from the cat

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a double edged sword with this issue, here's how I decide on the build.

If you roll bad/Having a bad day; go with the TLMP+TA

If your dice love you/Having a good day; go with the TLMP+F
    http://www.videogamevoters.org/
    Support you right to play video games, its for the greater good...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Kinsella View Post
    Ok this has been a little issue thats been boggling me for a long time now. What is the obsession with putting a target array on deathrains for? the majority of the time you would be far far better off putting a flamer on that third hard point. TL is hella reliable without needs any more BS (or else pathfinders). i know theres the whole possible kill/probable kill element but 6 twin linked missles onto a rhino is gonna be pretty damn painful. Tehn weigh up the pros of taking the flamer, 3 templates on a mass of orcs hammering down onto your frontline is gonna be far far more effective then pumping a couple of missles or plasma rounds into them. And you save urself 18 points per 3 man unit, not a huge gain but hey its something.
    The simple answer is they are more accurate and they are cheap. 53pts for two twin linked BS3 high strength shots is a bargain and maximising the accuracy should always be done if it is a reasonable option. Deathrains are primarily used to stop transports and the simple fact is that you have two turns (one with some units) to stop that transport. If you have one turn it makes sense to maximise the shooting you have. So ask yourself a question, is it worth 10 points to stop for instance that Wyche unit getting to your lines? Or is it better to rely on a non twin linked Flamer to possibly kill a few of said Wyches after they get in assault range of your valuable XV8 unit?
    Flamers only work when twin linked, the Torch squad does it the right way, twin linked flamer and single missile pod (usually used with ML support). The TL MP/flamer combo is an exercise in how to underutilise a suit build, you never want the enemy to be in range of the Flamers but your means of stopping said units getting in Flamer range is working at reduced efficiency because you wanted to save a massive 6pts by taking the flamer.
    Tau are about three things, shooting, mobility and keeping the enemy at a distance. If an army relies on shooting you need to do one thing, maximise accuracy, I think 12pts (I usually run two man DR teams) is well worth spending because I cannot count the number of games my BS3 Deathrains have stopped transports 1st turn.
    Ask yourself one thing, how many times have you lost a valuable unit because you missed? Every shot counts for Tau so maximising every shot is essential, taking an inefficient single flamer you should never use is pointless.

+ Reply to Thread