Welcome to Librarium Online!
I've finally finished my CSM army and I'm looking to start an Ork one. I've decided that the backbone of my first army is going to be two Big Meks with KFFS, 2 Deff Dreads as troops and three units of 3 Killa Kans (two with units with Rokkits and One with Grotzukas).
My questions are:
1) How should I equip the Deff Dreads?
2) If I buy three Killa Kan Kits (dont abreviate that) I will have 3 Rokkit arms and 3 Grotzuka arms, is there a cheap source for the three Rokkit arms I'll need. The bit stores are either sold out or charge like 15 bucks.
3) Does this army need any Trukks? ie, should I buy battle forces or just troop boxes on their own?
1)i personally don't thin they are any good, and they are generally not that competetive. however, if you must run tyhwm then give then two close combat weapons, and run thwm as fast as possible towards the enemy.
2) if the packs don't come with enough rokkits hen just make your own! get one of the other weapons, stick some extra bits opn it and say it is a rokkit. after alol you are an ork!
3)most kanwall armies use large mobs of shoota boys to walk behind the killa kanz and get a 4+ cover save. trukks are generally not involved.
the army you have in mind is called a kanwall. they use 9 kila kanz in front of large mobs of shoota boys. the kanz are obscured and so are the boys so you bget 4+ cover all round. deff dreads are usually not used as killa kanz are better, more surivable, and can kill more. also remember that even though deff dreads troops, they still cannot capture objectives as they are a vehicle.
hope tjat helps
I would recommend starting on the other side of your army... get some boyz and nobz first... Warboss and a Mek w/ KFF for your HQ. Get at least 20 boyz in a mob, I prefer 30. And a mob of 30 shootas comes in a lot handier than most think!
Dreds are fun, but you really need soldiers to support them... Kans are great for longer range support, better BS than the rest of the army...
1) 4 CCW's... with the lame BS 2 and the fact that you'll want to spend shooting phase running until you get close... the long range weapons tend to be a waste. That 5 attacks in assault come in VERY handy once you get stuck in.
2) if you don't find them in a bit store go to a GW store when they run a Bazaar Bazaar and trade another Ork player... or kitbash from IG or SM bits?
3) they help... but I don't like running boyz in them. 12 is just not enough for me. Nobz can use a good transport though... since they tend to spend too much time running around looking for a fight. Stick with trukks for mobz that are limited to 10 or 15 models... that way you can run your boyz mobz on foot and have twice the models on the table!
Just my two cents...
The deff dread boxes come with 2 rockit arms each. If you buy 2 deff dread's, you'll have 4 total, plus 1 in each kan box. That will give you 4 deff dread rockit arms, and 3 killa kan arms. Enough to field the amount you want.
I highly recommend you magnetize both your deff dread, and your killa kan's, as this will allow you to swap up weapons, and it also makes painting extremely easy.
Keep in mind, you will also get 2 megablasta's per deff dread as well! (Thus giving you a possibility of fielding 3 on the killa kans).
As for deff dread configs. I always run mine as the following.
Armor plates, grot riggers, 1 CCA, and 1 skorcha. I think spending the points for the 1 extra attack isn't really worth it that much, and the skorcha auto hits, eliminating the negatives of a BS 2. Generally if you are in range to assault, you will also be in range to use the skorcha. Just be careful your opponent doesn't remove models that may prevent your charge!
I've also experimented with the 2x big shoota variant....though really you're going to want to run the deff dread every turn, till he's in range to charge something!
Killa Kans are amazing, I run 6 of them in my trukk rush army and they never disappoint. I typically run them in two squads of 3, all with grotzookas to take out those pesky swarms (keeping the whole 3 squad at 135 pts, amazing)
Deff Dreads.... are not good. Their shooting is poor, and if you can get them in CC they're statistically worse than 3 kills kans in most cases, and are less survivable.
These lists are fun, but have trouble when playing dawn of war missions, because all the killa kans have to walk onto the board on turn 1.
Dreads are okay, but not amazing. If you use them, I give them 2 skorchas, armor plates, and grot riggers.
You'll need scoring troops, so grots at least, but boyz also work well.
Vehicles always help, even in a kan wall list, because the kans/dreads will draw most of the anti-vehicle shooting, so your transports have a better chance of surviving. If you do this, I'd keep one KFF with the vehicles and one with the walkers. If you don't do this (and just use boyz on foot) then I'd just use one KFF and one Dread.
"Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."