Tyranofex Questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tyranofex Questions

I've looked all over the internet at Tyranid advice, and it seems the unit that gets the biggest divide in opinion is the Tyranofex.

It's expensive, but pretty solid defensively and the only way to get long range anti-vehicle.

How many would you take in a 1500 point list?

Do you give them any upgrades other than the obligatory Rupture Cannon?

How would you build a list around them?

How do you make them? Just a Carnifex with a groovy gun?

Currently I have a typical new Tyranid player problem: way too many anti-Infantry Troop units and no Elite or Heavy units. Troops are some Termagants, Hormagaunts, Shooty Warriors, a Tervigon, CC Warriors and Rippers with a Tyranid Prime, i,e not ideal list material.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I dont think i would take it in a 1500 pts game cause its to expensive... in a larger game I would always take it its fantastic and does a great job at supressing tanks and has armored shell so missle spam will have a tough time bring it down.... In 1500 you would be better off with harpies with TL heavy venomcannons or carnifexes with Heavy venom cannons.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x1)

At 1500, I usually don't take one. The Hive Guard/Thropes that I always take in my Elites slots usually prove sufficient anti-tank wise at that level, however, I have taken a T-Fex at that level and it always survives until the end of the game. Generally, though, I would only take one at that level if you are playing MC-heavy and want to cut down on smaller critters such as thropes and HG. The T-Fex, in this situation, provides good anti-tank support and should be advancing the whole time along with your other MCs, providing an extra level of threat saturation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

75 (x1)

From advice I've been given and from experience, one is plenty for 1500 games, but still quite good in the right list. You need something to pose as a threat to heavy armour, and if you don't take Harpies or Zoans, the T-fex usually becomes the pick. I'm not competent to say which of these are superior choices at that point level, but again, in the right list, all are good.

In 1500 games, I've learned that it is best to have him running up all in the opponent's face whenever it can; it's not artillery to be sitting in the back. It can provide cover to other MCs and still be fine itself because of its 2 up armour, and while its primary weapon is for anti-armour, its anti-infantry is no slouch either-- unlike vehicles, you can fire ALL of its weapons at your target.

Always take the large blast Cluster Spines and the Dessicator Larvae. The Rupture Cannon is usually taken, with no other upgrades, but I've heard of people taking Acid Spray and Fleshborer Hive to good effect, so I may try kitting it out with those just because the thought of a 12"-range template weapon you can move around horizontally is hilarious to me.

To build one, a great number of people have just taken to slapping two Heavy Venom Cannons together, putting it on a Carnifex and calling it a day. Personally, I prefer to make it a little more recognizable.

The T-fex may be tricky to learn at first, but he'll serve you well in the right list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

64 (x1)

Mads has it right, the perfect number of t-fex's for a 1500 point list is 1, for the reasons listed above, tought, longe range, shreds armor and infantry, EXCELLENT fire magnet.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by GoliathX View Post
    It's expensive, but pretty solid defensively and the only way to get long range anti-vehicle.
    Not true. Harpies with TL venom cannons, fexs with venom cannons. Both work quiet well.
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Nothing to really add to the "pros" for the Tfex already listed out.

I also agree that at 1500 pts, usually one Tfex is enough. I have built the occasional list where two are taken, but that's because I specifically did other things with my Elites and Fast Attack.

People who hate on the Tfex should be ignored. They fail to understand the codex as a whole ... not to mention basic 40K strategy and tactics. Tfexes are an important and unique tool in the army's toolbox. It can't just be dismissed outright. True, not every list needs Tfexes. But that doesn't mean they're not good. There are plenty of lists that I see that fail specifically because the inclusion of a Tfex wasn't accommodated.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Harpies and other Venom Cannons work but with the -1 modifier they're never going to kill much. I understand they're good for getting shaken results though, which is often good enough.

Hive Guard and Zoanthropes I'll probably get in Elites. I'm just concerned with how easy it is for zippy/castling amies like Eldar/DarkEldar/Tau/Guard/Pretty much any Marine force to stay 31" away and unload (though I do have three beautifully modelled Mycetic Spores... do people rate Zoanthopes in spores highly or are they just too unreliable?)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Underestimate the effectiveness of Harpies at your own risk. Keep in mind what they do that's unique. They fly, so they can get easy-peasy side armour shots. They have LD 10, so they can operate outside of synapse to do this. Their HVCs are twin-linked, so they hit more reliably than hive tyrants or carnifexes. (With twin-linking rolling "HIT"s is more reliable than straight-up BS 3. And then you have to factor in the difficult to calculate but still real ability to reroll the dice just because the scatter is "too far" for your purposes.)

And all that for fewer points than you can get on either a Hive Tyrant with HVC or Carnifex with HVC. And in a different force org slot, too, so you don't have to compromise either your HQ or your Heavy choices to get reliable, long-range anti-armour firepower.

Because you're exactly right: Smart opponents will just deploy out of range of shooty Tyranid Elites. You have to have something that can hurt them right way, from long range. So it's either HVCs or Tfexes or a mix of both. With the exception of a few specific army list builds, there are no other choices to be had.

Zoeys in spores are just fine. But unless you're playing a reserves-based list, you risk them coming in too late and/or scattering too far ... or both! Tyranids can't afford that kind of unreliability. So if you take 'em in spores, make sure your list is all-reserves as well, or at least doesn't actually depend on the zoeys. Which means you're still back to the basic question: how many HVCs and/or Tfexes to include? It'll have to be as if you didn't have zoeys at all.

Otherwise you can footslog zoeys. But you'll either need to babysit them with a Prime bullet-catcher attached or with tervigons rushing them forward with Onslaught ... or both. There's no other way to keep them alive long enough to get them in range of targets that deployed far away from you.

All these problems I'm talking about are the things that both Harpies and Tfexes are designed specifically to ameliorate.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

+ Reply to Thread