Just Started Nids. How to model/equip - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just Started Nids. How to model/equip

Hi All,

After my competitive guard, my cult thousand sons I have made the decision to start nids. I have just bought the battleforce and a hive tyrant.

I have several questions:
    1) How should i equip my hive tyrant?
    2) Is there anything I really need to buy or avoid?

I am not overly sure the direction I want to take the army, I hear stuff about Nidzilla and Swarm armies.

My personal preferance at this moment would proabably be going full on swarm.

Have been looking at the FAQ and tactica, but the nids are different to every army I have ever encountered and not played against them so unsure of the fundamentals.

Please advice on the two questions above and any other useful advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x4)

Okay first off I'm an Eldar Player. I have only ever used Eldar but I have fought against the Nids many, many times.

For your Hive Tyrant, Lash whips are a real pain in your opponents A**. Unless they are already hitting you at inititive 1 (Power fist/Thunder Hammer) this is really gonna ruin their day, unless of course they are using howling banshees. (FAQ states Their masks override the Lash whips effect, gotta love FAQ! ) Beyond that I'll leave it to you.

Between Fighting Nidzilla or swarm lists...its hit or miss for me anyway. If I dont come prepared to fight both I'm more than likely gonna get run over. Horde is probably the harder of the two to combat, lots of stuff thats easy to kill but if your opponent doesn't have enough shots then they are gonna be run over.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    184 (x5)

1) Depends on what the rest of the army looks like, honestly.
    2) Everything in the codex can be effective. Once again, it depends on what the rest of the army looks like.

Sorry to be so vague, but it's honestly the truth. It might be a good idea to start with the units you like or want to field and then build an army around those.

Pure swarm isn't going to win you games (neither is pure Nidzilla). You're going to want to have a mix a MCs and gribblies to get the job done. One thing to keep in mind is that even Tyranids need long-range transport busting capabilities. You've got to slow the enemy down and bust open the vehicles so you can get the squishy bits inside in CC.

If you rely on CC to kill vehicles, you're doing it wrong.

Now that the rant is over, what units are you interested in fielding?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x1)

1) You can almost never go wrong with two sets of Brainleech Devourers. It is some of the best anti-infantry the Nids have to offer, with the chance to pepper light vehicles with glancing hits to boot. That said, there is merit in giving him a Heavy Venom Cannon as well, or even two sets of Scything Talons. If you have the moxy to do so, I'd suggest just magnetizing your Tyrant so that you can put whatever you want on him, including the option to have Wings. Otherwise, like the fellows above said, I'd wait until you know exactly what your list needs.

2) I can almost guarantee you that you will be buying Hive Guard at some point or another if you are in this for the long haul. If you're going for a swarm army, it's probably a no-brainer that you'll be buying lots and lots of Termagants, as that is the swarm staple of the Nids, though of course you could always be unorthodox and swarm with Hormagaunts or even Rippers if you were just trying to be funny. The Carnifex box is always a good buy, as the model itself is good, plus the Carnifex bits are the typical starting point of most Monstrous Creature conversions for the Nids. The same can be said of the Trygon kit to a somewhat lesser degree, as it has fewer redundant bits. If you're going to avoid anything, avoid expensive metal models before you know what you want exactly; otherwise, most anything, even unwanted models and bits can be repurposed to do something else entirely through conversion, so it's hard to go wrong.

The best advice I can give you is to lurk a while, and head on over to the Army List section if you haven't already. You will notice a lot of threads where people are just starting Tyranids. Read them, learn from them, detect the patterns (anti-tank anti-tank anti-tank). There is also a very useful thread here with lots of good advice for beginners and veterans alike. Check it out. Someday it is my fond wish that it will be stickied.

Senior Member Hive Fleet Macarbe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x3)

As with what Mad said, running a pair of brainleech devourers gets the job done. But make sure you have AT LEAST one tyrant guide to roll with him. Or if you wanted him to be base more on speed give him wings, maybe with 2x scything talons (Crazy fun) Now for what you really need.

Hive guards are a MUST, they provide the cheap ranged anti tank nids need.
    Besides from that there is no set units, tyranids can be very customizable which makes them a great force to collect!

(if you want my advice MAGNITISE EVERY MC YOU GET!! it makes it so much easier. I use rare earth magnets and they can be found on ebay for dirt cheap.)

Fun Fact of the day: There is a law on the books of Detroit, Michigan that states that "Alligators may not be tied to fire hydrants".... Good old Detriot!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

To reiterate what others have said: There isn't a bad unit in the codex. Nonetheless it's quite easy to make a bad army list because Tyranid units only shine when contextualized in the proper army list. Trygons kick ass, but they can't be used in every army list, either. Same for Hive Tyrants, Termagants, even Hive Guard.

I would pick out your favorite units and try to work them into an army list that coheres tactically. One that is balanced and capable of dealing with anything you might come up against.

I recommend looking through the Tyranid List Builder topic for ideas.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

+ Reply to Thread