Scourges: Power Level - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: How Powerful are the Scourges?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 Crap!

0 0%
  • 2 OK, sometimes, I guess.

1 12.50%
  • 3 A solid choice.

5 62.50%
  • 4 An exceptional unit.

2 25.00%
  • 5 Put this in your army.

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x4)

Scourges: Power Level

This is part of a group of polls on how powerful various units are to help me in the writing of my new tactica. I am not going to post my opinions straight away as I don't want to influence people.

This poll is about the Fast Attack choice Scourges. To get a better handle on what the voting scale represents you can read it in its entirety Here

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x2)

I think I'm one of the few who had a 10-man (eldar) strong Scourge unit before the new codex was released. With the latest version, they got so much better. They are jump troops (12" move, jump over terrain), have an assault 3 weapon as STANDARD which is also poisoned (4+), and can take dedicated special/heavy weaponry. At the moment, I run them with 4 Splinter Cannons. In total, this means 18 shots at 18" regardless of moving, plus 12 shots at 36" if I move, or plus 24 shots if I stand still.

They eat through everything and will get pain tokens early in the game. Jumping them out of a WWP is even more evil! Equip them with Haywire blasters and have fun disabling tanks (not destroying, that's a small chance, but putting them out of operation).
    ------------------------------------
    Innovation suffuses this hobby like a tea bag in the boiling water of play.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x4)

The cahnce of destroying a tank is the same as with a Dark Light weapon and the chance of disabling much higher I am finding the HBlasters are worth about 1.5 lances against vehicles. They are very nice.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so out of preference and ableness, is it worthwhile to run 4 HwB or 4 Blasters in their unit? Im leaning more on the HwB...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x2)

If you plan to hunt tanks don't use a full 10 man squad.
    HWL's are better if you are just tank hunting with them, you are guranteed to stunlock the tank, run them as 5 man squads with 2 HWL's.
    Blasters give a better all round multi-purpose against both troops and vehicles(not as great against vehicles). You could use a 10 man squad with 4 blasters, that would give you the best of both worlds, both anti-tank and anti-infantry.
    IMO you should really just choose a role for them, either anti-tank or anti-infantry, your codex allows you to balance your army elsewhere and the HWL is the best anti-tank in our arsenal.
    If you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you...you won't be able to walk.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

hmm... an interesting discussion i currently run my scourges with splinter just because of how fun it is to throw buckets of dice on the enemy. however if i ever ran anti tank with them i would go 5 with one hwg, one heat lance, and would run them alongside something more anti infantry oriented.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Except that stunlock is unreliable for the points. There are so many units that can ignore or marginalize the effects of stunlock that the tactic can seem deceptively better than it really is.

Defilers
    Soulgrinders
    Any CSM possessed tank
    SM Land Raiders
    Anything in a vehicle formation
    The vast majority of Gray Knight tanks can upgrade to Fortitude

So to me the strength of the Haywire Blaster is undermined by the fact that there is a proliferation of units that don't mind glancing hits.
    Stab it, slash it, bite, tank shock and smash it. If that fails, shoot it.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

That is surely an item to look for when choosing HwB but I can't help loving the 2+ to glance any vehicles, Land Raiders and Monolyths can be mocked with. This is the true strength of the HwB imo.

Maybe not too many people in my current meta play these units for me to feel the pain but I reckon you can always find a target vs which the HwB will perform.

The only problem I have with the HwB is their platform on which they come: scourges or Taloi: I don't find them really reliable, surely survivability is poor.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Yeah 5 trueborn with 2 HWB = 130

Now consider almost every Rhino carrying 10 marines. These guys can easy tie up a 200 point squad which means your using your army smart. Best thing about this is it becomes even better when you tie up an elite squad in transport. I really like these guys when I just want a Armor 13/14 thing to not bother me for a turn as mentioned before. Really I find the best use is a Turn 1-3 (prevent enemy vehicle from doing its thing). So I can use my heavy and elite sections to kill his transports that have lower armor than big tanks. Plus if the enemy is shooting my scourges then he is not shooting my ravagers or trueborn which is one of the real strengths to DE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

Hi!

I use two squads of five Scourges with Heat lances, and i love those guys (and gals). They are the only reliable source of melta weapons in the codex, and I think that we really need that for some decisive armor killing ability. Dark Lances more often then not just suppress enemy armor, which is of course fine by it self, but that Ap1 of the heat lances comes in handy when you really have to stop/destroy something. And they are great for deep striking and disrupting enemy line. Plus the carabines give them some great duality which means they are rarely useless against whatever army you are facing.
    All in all a great unit.
    "One must do violence to the object of one's desire; when it surrenders, the pleasure is greater."

Marquis De Sade

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast