The avatar. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The avatar.

Senior Member Hive Fleet Macarbe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x3)

The avatar.

Kay, I spent about $70 for a large amount (Roughly $350 of eldar) on ebay, I am happy with that purchase. And included in this pile of goodies is an avatar. Now I have a question.

Can the avatar still be a viable option in a mech list?

Now, surely he lacks the speed to be able to keep up with it, but he is a complete power house, and I do recall reading a post within this thread that he can be a useful tool to a mech list.

Anyway please share your views?

Also a side question, To take the bright lance or EML for a squad of guardians? I prefer the extra range because they will be camping objectives.

Fun Fact of the day: No word in the English language rhymes with "MONTH." Or "Orange" And no, door-hinge is not a word which is considered to rhyme with it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

Often there is on objective or two close to your deployment zone or not so far away, so an Avatar could get where it's useful, and make it less likely that your otherunits will run off when they move in for that objective to fight alongside the avatar.

The issue I'm not sure how to get around is that one of the advantages of a mech list is all that AV12 facing your opponent. Weapons like heavy bolters and fire warrior rifles just don't have a target, and S6 weapons are marginal. An Avatar tromping around would seem to be a parfect target to soak all that up. And while he's resiliant to it, it'll whittle away at him.

What would seem to work is if he could lurk somewhere behind a big chunk of totally LOS breaking cover near an objective as a nasty threat for any enemy unit that tries to get too close.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty much yeah. If you take an avatar, you build your list to facilitate his performance. For CWE our HQ's determine our list construction.
    My compiled thoughts blog.
    If someone posts something helpful +rep them

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

146 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by MrBenis View Post
    Pretty much yeah. If you take an avatar, you build your list to facilitate his performance. For CWE our HQ's determine our list construction.
    Yup, this is how I develope my lists. Pick your HQs and then decide how your gonna use them to boost your armies preformance (Farseers), or what units are gonna compliment your HQs abilities (Avatar, Yriel, Phoenix Lords)
    Your HQs lead your armies to battle using their strengths to make your army more efficent, so it does little good for you to take a farseer with guide and not take any shooty units for him to boost. While a CC expert like Yriel can boost even the weakest of CC units, it does little good to make him hold back at the far end of the field away from CC.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

168 (x4)

Avatar in mech list is a big no no in my book. slow, need farseer babysitting, vulnerable to small arms fire...is a bad choice....but a great piece to paint.
    Hight elf and Craftworld Eldar army project pics heavy: linky

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which reminds me I should get on with painting my FW avatar. So time consuming.
    My compiled thoughts blog.
    If someone posts something helpful +rep them

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It depends in how you will use your army.
    If you send your WS,Falcons,etc to far away you risk the Avatar being exterminated due to it's luck of support.
    If you keep something behind he can still survive.

personally wouldn't go for him.A Biked SeerCouncil is a far better HQ choice for almost evry mech Eldar army list.If you use Ws then use Yriel,PL or Ulthran. (I love this guy!)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It depends in how you will use your army.
    If you send your WS,Falcons,etc to far away you risk the Avatar being exterminated due to it's luck of support.
    If you keep something behind he can still survive.

personally wouldn't go for him.A Biked SeerCouncil is a far better HQ choice for almost every mech Eldar army list.If you use Ws then use Yriel,PL or Ulthran. (I love this guy!)

+ Reply to Thread