Sorely Tempted to collect Tau - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorely Tempted to collect Tau

Hi guys,

As the title suggests I've had an urge to collect Tau just recently, I know they aren't the best 40k Race competitiveness wise but I believe they can be competitive if played well.

The only thing that is truly putting me off from collecting them is the fear of there being a new Tau codex in the near future. I do't have a limitless supply of money, I don't want to get an army all painted up and playing only to have a new bunch of models and rules come out 6 months down the line.

Is it worth starting to collect Tau now?

Cheers

Lileth

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Our best guess as to when a new Tau codex would come out is about a year from now. If that doesn't shake you ... then welcome to the Greater Good!

Actually, Tau can be quite competitive "if played well". But the army list builds that can be played well with any real oomph are very limited. One is outlined in the tactica linked in my signature, below. And really, any other "competitive" version of Tau is going to look similar to that. Minimal Fire Warrior units, lots of Kroot, lots of XV8s (like 9 or more at 1850pts - 2000 pts), 3+ piranhas, and 3 slots of XV88s and hammerheads for heavy support. You simply cannot vary from this template at all if you want a quality Tau army. Most Tau will also include a unit of Pathfinders, but they are not strictly necessary if you've done a good job of fielding maximum firepower elsewhere in the list.

The basic strategy with Tau is also always the same. You throw sacrificial units (e.g., Kroot, piranhas, devilfish, vehicle drones) in the faces of your opponents to slow them down while you maneuver nimbly away, blazing them down in torrents of firepower. Assault must always be avoided, and you must do everything you can to stay mobile and not get trapped against a board edge. Difficult to do, but can be learned with practice. It's a totally unique army playstyle, that's for sure.
    Last edited by number6; February 12th, 2011 at 22:19.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the feedback number6. Providing some of my Ebay armies sell I'll start collecting Tau, Not for the funds but for the space! One thing I regret with my Dark Eldar is buying an entire new army because new models were released. If that does happen with Tau, which it will in the future I'll just keep the current models and buy any new units that are any good rules wise.

Cheers

Lileth

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Hi Lelith.

Number6's advice is pretty sound. In their present form, Tau do tend to have a sort of template for their armies since we've been honing and honing the lists for years now! However, when a new Codex arrives there are always going to be new models/units/etc. For Tau Empire we got Vespid, Sniper Drones, Piranhas and Sky Rays. Of all of those, the Sky Ray probably became the most popular, not because of its battlefield abilities but more likely because of the sprues involved in the model which allowed you to make all three vehicles (bar the Gun Drones) from the one kit.

The basics of the army are unlikely to change radically, unless the XV8s undergo an overhaul of their shape. I would just go ahead and buy the mainstays of your army now and then do as you suggested and wait to see what turns up in the new Codex (whenever that happens!)

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

+ Reply to Thread