Target Locks and Assautling - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    65 (x1)

Target Locks and Assautling

Ahoy everyone.

I know this is an odd question for a Tau player, but I assault enemy units a good deal with my crisis suits, generally after softening them up with plasma and missiles.

What I am wondering is the application of the assaulting the same unit you fired at rules.

If I have a target lock on three suits for instance, and all three suits shoot three seperate targets, which target unit am I allowed to follow up with an assault? Can I choose any of them, can I assault neither of them, or do I need to declare my 'primary' target?

This applies most to my XV-9's but the question is valid for standard tau units as well like the XV-8.

As a second and unrelated note... I had a single broadside with a shield drone in a game this weekend. The enemy Rune Priest cast Jaws of the World Wolf at the XV-88 and removed it from play leaving a single shield drone floating on the field. It passed it's Ld test and after we laughed for a bit about it, we decided it stays in play as it's own unit now. I proceeded to assault marines with it where it cause the enemy plenty of heart ache being a 2+ armored 4+ invul mine termie.

Was that correct I wonder? What happens when the unit with the drone controller gets 'sniped' or otherwise removed before the drones? This was the first time it happened to me... all the other times the drones died first.

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1st question: I believe you have to choose a primary target due to the rule stating that if the Ld test is failed all firing must go to the primary target, so choose wisely when firing at multiple units so you assault the correct one you want.

2nd Question: Any time a model with a drone controller is killed ALL drones attached are removed as well(page 31 last paragraph above drone stats).
    http://www.videogamevoters.org/
    Support you right to play video games, its for the greater good...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

65 (x1)

Good catch with No 2. Never fully read that drone blurb before until now. Thanks. =D

As to No 1 however, it does not say 'primary target' it instead says 'nearest' as per the target priority rule, which no longer exists in 40k. (Tau Codex Pg. 28, under Target Lock)

Which does not seem to cover my issue at all. A Ld test is required due to Target Priority rules in the old edition to target things that were not the nearest target, thus Ld tests were required to use the Target Locks, where now they function much more easily.

Thanks for the help so far Seriph =D

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

72 (x2)

I had the same problem with my x-v8's just last night, I had 2 suits shoot at 2 targets, and went, ummm can I choose which one to assault? We ended up rolling for it, odds I got to choose even he got to choose. He won .

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

You still have to pick a primary target that the unit is shooting at. Target locks allow individual models to shoot at some other unit, but doing so doesn't change what the designated primary target is. You can only ever assault the unit that your unit shot at. For all intents and purposes, that "primary unit" is the enemy unit your own unit actually shot at. (Even if some dudes in your unit did their own thing.)
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

65 (x1)

But where is this 'primary' target rule coming from? I can't seem to find it.

I can see how that makes sense and is fair enough, but as far as I can tell from the rules as listed, this sort of thing is not actually handled by the rules.

The BRB states that you can only assault the unit you fired at, but goes on to say you can still multi-assault if able so long as you hit the target of your shooting. It also says you can never split fire.

Tau Codex says you -may- split fire with Target Locks assuming you make your target priority tests, otherwise they all still shoot the closest enemy as per the 4th ed target priority test rules.

I have not seen any mention or whisper of a 'primary target' type rule and it seems as it stands, you could effectively choose any of the multiple targets to assault.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Serran View Post
    But where is this 'primary' target rule coming from? I can't seem to find it.
    You know, the Shooting rules? The rules that say when a unit shoots it picks a single target and everybody shoots at it?

Nothing about target locks changes that mechanic. As far as the rules are concerned, your unit (even with Target locks) is only shooting at ONE target. All target locks do is let a model so equipped shoot at something else. Doesn't change what the actual target of the unit as a whole is.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by number6 View Post
    You know, the Shooting rules? The rules that say when a unit shoots it picks a single target and everybody shoots at it?

Nothing about target locks changes that mechanic. As far as the rules are concerned, your unit (even with Target locks) is only shooting at ONE target. All target locks do is let a model so equipped shoot at something else. Doesn't change what the actual target of the unit as a whole is.
    Basically in the long version of the game.
    Your HQ with two body guards all with target lock (if only 2 had target lock the one without will always be the one shooting the unit you can assult.)
    So you pick to fire on unit A. Then one battlesuit with TL chooses to fire at UNIT B and the second battlesuit fires at UNIT C.
    You would still only be able to assult unit A unless you multiassulted that and other units.
    NOW in real life we would just say he is shooting UNIT A, he is shooting UNIT B and he is shooting UNIT C but if you have any intention of assulting you must say what is the first original unit you are shooting at.

NOW its made easy in normal battlesuits or XV-88 as their will be models that dont have target lock - what ever those models shoot at will be what you can assult.
    Tau: 6K - W17-D3-L4, Orks: 4K - W9-D0-L2, SM: 7K - W7-D3-L4,CSM: 4K W5-D1-L1, Nids: 3.2K W3-D0-L2
    Apoc games (mixture of armies used): W5-D0-L1

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

The rules for the target lock state that the bearer can fire at a different target to the rest of its unit. If a three XV8 unit has two target locks (nobody with any sense would take three TL's) then the shooting is split evenly between three targets IF the two TL bearing XV8's utilise their TL's. So each XV8 is firing at a different target to the rest of its unit but there is no majority shooting in the unit (I/E more members of the unit shooting at a target then other members of the unit).
    Number6 in the situation I describe above the shooting rules in the rulebook cannot apply because each XV8 is picking an individual target and each XV8 fires individually at that target, so please how does the rule in the 40K rulebook apply in anyway to that? The only proviso is the targets have to be declared before shooting.
    So in the circumstances I described above how do you decide which is the primary target? If the unit was say nine strong and one had a TL then I suppose it could be argued (weakly) that you would assault the unit the eight non TL equipped models fire at but in the case of a three man XV8 unit with two TL's this cannot apply because the fire is split evenly between the members of the unit.
    There is no primary target, where does it actually specify a primary target is required? And how do we decide which XV8 is targeting the primary target?
    So as far as assaulting goes I would say it is entirely legal and permissible to choose any of the three targeted units to assault. It could also be argued entirely fairly that the XV8 unit could in fact (if in range) assault all three targeted units, with each XV8 assaulting the unit it shot at.
    Another point worth raising and which was missed by everyone is that if any of the unit shoot with rapid fire weapons (even with a TL) that model cannot assault, which would mean the whole unit could not assault even if they fired with non rapid fire weapons (Flamers, Fusion etc)

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Riki, this is beyond simplicity itself. A target lock can't function unless there is already a declared enemy unit as the target for the unit.

Your example unit of 3 XV8s must declare ONE AND ONLY ONE UNIT upon which to fire. Then, and only then, can the player opt to use one or more target locks to allow individual models to fire at a different unit (units). Can't fire at a different unit unless there is already a designated target.

It's called deductive reasoning. A must come before B.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast