Nob Bikers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nob Bikers

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x2)

Nob Bikers

Hi everyone,

So I was contemplating making myself some Nob Bikers, and was wondering how do you do it cost effectively? Buying a nob pack + 3 biker packs + a painboy seems expensive to say the least.

Also if you run a kitted out deathstar nob squad will anyone even play you? Do those of you who run said deathstar squad often get told "if you play with those nob bikers i'm not playing" ?

They seem like so much fun to use/konvert, but I don't want to waste the time/money if the end result is them sitting on my display shelf.

Also warboss on bike, how do others go about getting one?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

Some people convert other units to nob bikers. I've seen some deff chopta's with aobr nobz before. Much more cost effective.

Also sometimes you'll find parts and pieces of bikes on ebay. If you are comfy with plasticard/green stuff, it's not too difficult to make up some nobz. Keep in mind a powerclaw is basically a box with some triangles coming out of it.

I'd recommend the nobz box, just as part of the default "setup". Even if you don't run all the nobz, the bitz in that box is great! You get something like 3 powerclaws, tons of awesome big choppas, gunz up the wazzo, all sorts of customizing bitz. So far the nobz box has been one of my favorite ork boxes from GW. You can sometimes pick them up for as little as 18 dollars off of amazon.com

As for using the bikers in the game, it depends on whether or not you are also putting them together with an ork warboss, and/or if you are doing wound allocation stuff.

I usually run mine with a max of 3 PK's (including warboss), then tons of big choopa's (i fight a lot of nids), a pain boy, banner, BP, cybork all around. Usually 5-6 total with a biker boss.

I tend not to use them much due to your next question. Nobody should have an issue with you playing nob bikers. With all the cheese in current codexes, like rune priests, 2 target long fangs, blood lances, doom of malathai's...heck even old codexes with stuff like canonesses with 2+ invul saves that reroll hits, chaplains that only die if you fail your ld roll...etc etc. If anyone gives you crap, just point at one of their units, and ask them not to play that one .

Besides FNP is so easily countered now. Throw a few rokkit's at the bikers, and they've got their cover save, and if failed, kaboom...ton of points gone. So much str 8 stuff in codexes now, even with large blast templates...it's not as if the unit is invulnerable...most like just waiting to get destroyed.

If you REALLY want to see someone cry cheese beyond cheese. Put old zogwort in your army, then turn abandon, or mephiston into a squib. Watch the fury.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

72 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by greggles View Post

As for using the bikers in the game, it depends on whether or not you are also putting them together with an ork warboss, and/or if you are doing wound allocation stuff.

I was thinking a squad of 8 all cybork armor running with a warboss (Attack squig, cybork, pk, warbike)
    Painboy
    Big choppa
    Bosspole, Pk
    Pk, combi skorcha
    Waaaugh banner, PK
    Pk
    Normal + combi skorcha
    Normal

It makes the whole squad 720 points, warboss included so I'm not sure if maybe I should drop it to the following.
    Painboy
    Big choppa
    Bosspole, Pk
    Pk
    Waaaugh banner, PK
    Normal
    Thats 585 at least.

I tend not to use them much due to your next question. Nobody should have an issue with you playing nob bikers. With all the cheese in current codexes, like rune priests, 2 target long fangs, blood lances, doom of malathai's...heck even old codexes with stuff like canonesses with 2+ invul saves that reroll hits, chaplains that only die if you fail your ld roll...etc etc. If anyone gives you crap, just point at one of their units, and ask them not to play that one .
    Thats funny, I play against a 2+ cannoness with mc eviscerator, doom of malathai, and those long fangs you speak of, as well as that SW named rune priest guy who just jaws of the world wolf's my stuff to death. (I am permanently afraid to be in a straight line)

If you REALLY want to see someone cry cheese beyond cheese. Put old zogwort in your army, then turn abandon, or mephiston into a squib. Watch the fury.
    Funny as I'm in the process of converting him right now!
    Last edited by scottyde; March 1st, 2011 at 11:39.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Greggles, great response. A few things to add:

As far as playing the nob bikers, you're fine. The main reason people have a problem with using them is the wound allocation abuse that is possible to do with them. Not sure if you've heard of this, but in a nutshell, theres a way to allocate wounds throughout each model in the unit before taking removing a model due to arming each one with a different combination of wargear. I personally consider it a pretty cheesy example of powergaming. Never run up against it personally, but someone who is out to rules lawyer their way to victory by creating an unfair super-unit does not sound like a fun opponent. Also, it ain't orky- us orks wanna stomp em real proppa cuz we iz big and choppy, cheatin' is for gits! Please note that some people have different opinions on the fairness, but thats my perspective.

If you're not using the crazy wound allocation rule glitch, then they're totally a fair unit. One argument I like to make is go add up the costs for a fully-equipped biker nob unit with three powerklaws and six or seven nobz with painboy and a warboss on bike. It's likely to be a third of the points in your entire army. Sure, it kicks butt, but its still one unit!
    Then calculate out how many units of 30 shoota or choppa boyz you could get for the cost, and ask your opponent if he'd rather face that many extra boyz. I don't have my codex in front of me, but if I remember properly its at least four 30-strong units.

On the Warboss topic, he adds leadership thats useful for such a small unit. However, it may be overkill considering the extra points cost for the dedication of a character to a unit that can already tear through most things in the game like a hot knife through butter.

As for the models, I'd personally recommend putting some time and thought into your nob bikers. Its a great opportunity to really create an awesome showcase unit for your army. As such an important unit, your opponent will certainly be paying attention to it as it tears through their army, hurr hurr, so make it look proppa! Its a low model count, so making an awesome unit out of it doesn't require as much money for bits or time painting. Make your nob bikers awesome and you won't regret it!
    I realize that you were asking about low-cost ways to do this, and I think it can still be done on the cheap. My suggestion is to take the time to look around at your options for bits/kits to create what you want from, then see what you can find on ebay, amazon, battlewagon bits, etc. I agree that the nob box set is a fantastic place to start, and is very economical. ABOR nobz have fewer useful bits but are cheap as dirt. I've always thought that Black Orcs would make for great biker nobz. I have some that I use as normal nobz and they look pretty cool. And as always, keep your extra bits from your other kits on hand to load them up with cool gubbins and gear!

Hope this is useful, have fun!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

Thats funny, I play against a 2+ cannoness with mc eviscerator, doom of malathai,
    Haha. That's great. I play orks and sisters, so I always find it hilarious that my nid buddy will be perfectly fine with spore podding a doom of malathai in, and wiping out 300-400 points of units, but calls complete and utter cheese when the canoness wipes out his winged hive tyrant without losing a single wound.

Just keep in mind...that awesome nob biker unit? Without warboss, rolls on ld 7 vs doom. (boss pole doesn't help) No armor saves, no cover saves, no FNP. All they get is their 5+ cybork vs that thing. One doom spore podded next to some nob bikers, even if they turbo boosted, is waving goodbye to 300-400 points...
    Last edited by greggles; March 1st, 2011 at 14:10.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

72 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Seanchadith View Post

If you're not using the crazy wound allocation rule glitch, then they're totally a fair unit.
    I already ran a squad of the non-biker nob squad and for the most part, while people agreed they were ded 'ard and even more killy no one said "thats so cheese" even when I was running them all individually equipped. If you look at the 8 nob bikers I posted they are also individually equipped.

Then calculate out how many units of 30 shoota or choppa boyz you could get for the cost, and ask your opponent if he'd rather face that many extra boyz. I don't have my codex in front of me, but if I remember properly its at least four 30-strong units.
    30 shoota boys, 3 big shootas, nob with pk/bp - 235

8 strong nob squad + boss - 720 so I could get 3 squads or

5 strong nob squad + boss - 585 so 2.5

On the Warboss topic, he adds leadership thats useful for such a small unit.
    He also lets you take the nob squad as a troop choice making your huge point cost unit able to capture objectives. Nice to do as they krump most things 'eads pretty good when they are sitting on an objective. Hur, hur.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 for a box of Nobz. Tons of great bitz... I think I still have pieces to kit up 2 or 3 more Nobz. You will get 3 PKs plus the cybork buzzsaw, tons of choppa/slugga combos, 2(maybe 3?) combi-rokkits, 5 big choppas, bosspoles, etc.

The difference in the bikers and Nobz is only from the waist up... the bike and legs, etc do not change from one to the other.

So in a single box of bikers you get 3, one of which can be upgraded to a Nob right out of the box (it comes with one nob, incl PK). With a Nob box you can easily kitbash 5 more Nobz and the painboy.

3 biker boxes + one Nobz box = 9 Nob bikers

The Nobz box only comes with bitz for one cybork body... I used those and various boyz bits for my painboy.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

72 (x2)

Well, I figure getting the nobs box is a must. Then I might just get 1 set of bikers, (i already have 3 from the battle box) Use 3 of the bodies from the nob set, 2 for one set of bikes, 1 for the other (as a painboy will be atop the 3rd) and then I might splurge and get the warboss from forgeworld because lets face it he is a beasty model! That will leave me with 7 left to play around with. Turn a couple into pk/bp nobs for my boys (i need one for my 4th and 5th squads when I'm playing truck/bw spam lists) then I'll have 5 to turn into flash gitz for funsies!

+ Reply to Thread