Tyranofex weapons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x2)

Tyranofex weapons

Does anyone ever not use the rupture cannon here?

Try using the acid or fleshborer hive. All of the weapons are assault. Don't just use your giant T6 2+ save as a gun platform. Walk him across the board. Sure the S10 shot is nice, but hive guard is adequate most of the time. The Tfex is possibly the best anti-infantry unit we have.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member Hive Fleet Macarbe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x3)

Its a HUGE point sink for anti-infantry.

The thing is, we have SO MUCH ANTI_INFANTRY
    Hormagaunts, trygon, hive tyrant, tyrant guard, biovore, pyvore, malwoc, geenstealers, termagaunts, tervigons, venomthropes THE LIST GOES ON! What we DONT have is massively ranged anti tank, sure we have the hive Guards, but sometimes you want some more power behind those shots. So I recommend sticking with the rupture cannon.

That and it already costs loads of point, so keep him simple.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

There really isn't any good reason at all to take a Tfex with anything other than the rupture cannon. Even with it he's still got the Cluster Spines (Str 5 pie plate) and desiccator larvae (just about the best "flamer" weapon in 40K). And he's a T6 monstrous creature with a 2+ save, so even in assault he's something to be scared of.

That is, he's an anti-infantry beast just because he's a Tyranid.

What Macarbe says about anti-armour, however, is pretty much spot on. He's one of only two options we have for long-range firepower (the other being heavy venom cannons). As awsome as hive guard are, they are not good enough to go it alone for the Tyranid shooting phase. They top out at Str 8 and only have a 24" range.

The rupture cannon makes the Tfex an incredibly valuable asset. A Tfex without a rupture cannon is a complete waste of points.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

74 (x2)

I said the same thing until I tried it. Maybe you should too.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

Fleshboarer hive is a collosal waste. 20 shots averages 1 kill on MEQs. Theres simply no reason to justify 260ish points for that. The acid spray is a little better, but at the end of the day we simply dont need it. Biovores will do more damage, all game, from range so you dont get tied up in combat the next turn. AND theyre half the price. Theres just no need to run them like that.

Edit: Theres nothing stopping you running him up the feild with a rupture cannon either, so thats not a reason im afraid.
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Attemptedm View Post
    I said the same thing until I tried it. Maybe you should too.
    Our counterarguments have nothing at all to do with the effectiveness of Tfexes at killing infantry.

It has everything to do with what the Tyranid codex CAN and CANNOT do easily.

There are a billion gazillion ways for Tyranids to shoot and assault infantry dead. The Tfex is nothing special in this regard.

There are a bare handful of ways for Tyranids to shoot armour, and only TWO ways to shoot at them from long range. The Tfex is absolutely UNIQUE in this regard.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

74 (x2)

Also, I would agree about the fleshborer hive. It's awful. The acid was where I was going. Mostly because it isn't affected by the BS3 of the tyranofex and because it has a shot of actually hurting something. you can fire acid, larvae, and spines at one unit and still assault it.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

The Tyrannofex with the fleshborer hive does sound like fun. It is a shame that we need the rupture cannon so much. Maybe against dark Eldar because they have such pitiful armour we can get away with the fleshborer hive. I've been thinking about one because I already have one with a rupture cannon, what does everybody think?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Leech View Post
    The Tyrannofex with the fleshborer hive does sound like fun. It is a shame that we need the rupture cannon so much. Maybe against dark Eldar because they have such pitiful armour we can get away with the fleshborer hive. I've been thinking about one because I already have one with a rupture cannon, what does everybody think?
    Auto-penetrating most of their vehicles from across the table strikes me as far more fun and useful.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Attemptedm View Post
    Also, I would agree about the fleshborer hive. It's awful. The acid was where I was going. Mostly because it isn't affected by the BS3 of the tyranofex and because it has a shot of actually hurting something. you can fire acid, larvae, and spines at one unit and still assault it.
    But you can do that too with the rupture cannon... if you want to assault, you can. Its an assault weapon and MCs have relentless anyway.

More to the point, biovores are still better. That T-fex isnt shooting till turn 2, and turn 3 against gunlines. Biovores hit from the first turn, do more damage and are half the cost. Theres simply no niche for the Anti infantry T-fex.

As for leech, against DE or other T3 armies, the hive isnt bad. Not good, but not bad. If taking it specifically for DE, it could work. But id rather have the acid spray if your going to do that, on the basis it ignores FNP, and would do about the same amount of damage ar the same range.
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast