Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Hey everyone, I know in their current state that the Tau are fun, yet still having difficulties. However, this isn't a thread so much of issues that need to be addressed, but more along the lines of what would you like to see implemented in the next codex.
I for one would like to see the following:
1. Everyone currently employs for the most part, as many XV8's as they can. Some may argue that its because it is the only viable option, I have a feeling that many people would still employ large numbers simply because they love battle-suits.
Therefore, I would like to see XV8's moved to a troops choice which would allow us to employ large numbers of them (6+) while leaving the door open for additional elite choices. If this is seen as imbalanced, then perhaps XV8s as troops can be achieved by selecting a specific HQ character who has a rule making them troops.
2. The previous point of XV8's leads into my second wish - XV22 stealth suits and XV9 hazard suits being new elite choices. The models alone look fantastic if you look at commander Shadowsun and the forgeworld models. These options would enable Tau to select elite choices that are mobile weapon platforms in addition to survivability which currently XV8's are lacking.
3. I largely believe that the Tau currently overlook drones for the most part. Shield drones are commonly employed, but this is largely limited to maybe 1 or 2 units in an entire army. Also in their current state, gun drones simply do not earn their point back in a battle. I believe many of us would like to see some tweaking to the current rules regarding drones. Perhaps a drone or 2 may be common place within each squad if utility and point cost can be optimized.
4. Special characters - Looking at the other 40k codex's, it is quite apparent that the Tau are largely lacking special characters and HQ variety.
Those are pretty much the 4 things that would really drive me to picking up my Tau again full-time. I'm sure most of you can agree with some of my points and have points of your own to voice.
I chose purposely not to mention vehicles so much as I feel they fulfill their current roles decently and that changes wouldn't mesh to well with the Tau fluff. Moreover, same goes for Tau mercenaries such as the Vespid and Kroot, their usage should be limited as the Tau forces were made to largely comprise of ranged combat and advanced technology.
I welcome any additional thoughts
What I have noticed that Tau have is issues dealing with mass swarms(melee especially) and mass vehicles (railgun is great but... not too many shots on it to defeat 5000 chimeras and 1000 vendettas). So something that fills in the gap in the middle.
Also ethereals need to be great, I love them. But I dont love playing them. Change that.
“When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a Communist.”
Lyuben, I agree with you on the need to improve ethereals. I can't see them becoming any better at combat, but they could possibly make use of some abilities that enhance other units in the force.
Grey knight grand masters have a special ability called grand strategy that allows them to roll a D3 and select that many squads or units and give them a permanent enhancement from a list at the beginning of the game.
So if ethereals could give a squad of XV8's the scout rule or improve the ballistic skill of a selected by +1, they may definitely be worth the 50 point investment.
On the issue of special characters. I would like to see them form other races to. Like the "king Kroot" or something along those lines.
Maybe with the ethereal roll a dice at the start. 1-2 he can provide units withs count 3-4 he can add a BS or 5-6 he can choose something else epic. Adds some more spice to the codex.
Want to start Tyranids? http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ml#post1799921 AND http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...t-builder.html
Well first of all, drop the points for FW or make them worth their points. Right now we either have them in reserve or have them hiding out in a DF. Its real sad since i think the models are frickin awsome and its the FW's and Battlesuits that drew me in with Tau.
Also, why dont Battlesuits have BS4? Im sorry, a Gaurdsman has BS3. Our "elite" Firewarriors who have been on the frontline for a few years, AND sitting in a god dam Gundam fighter still only shoots like one measly human? Should be fixed ASAP if you ask me.
More suits! Maybe have one for Fast attack even? TK are rumoured to having chariots in both core, special and rare. Could Tau have something similar maybe?
More variety in the book with options for heavy weapons and such would help improve the book. Points issues and stuff (there is a thread round here with great ideas i think) would help lift it. As long as it keeps with the Tau theme and everything I'm happy. I just want to be able to field "fun" armies and "fluffy" armies that have a chance of winning. Having to go The One Good Build even in friendly scenarios with non-competitive armies kinda sucks. Even then i might kick the bucket xP
1. crisis teams T5, I'm really tired of stormtroopers and their scouting vendetta run up dump out and waste my XV8s with melta fire
2. XV22s and XV9s for obvious reasons
3. at least half decent special characters. shadowsun isnt worth her points, farsight nerfs your army, and Aun'va...well he's an ethereal...with a cover save...hurray
4. kroot I5. according to fluff they can compete with DE wyches...**** no. if not 5 at least 4, 3 is just rediculous for them.
5. make the krootox T5. not sure this would make me want him, but T3 is just retarded
6. make fire warriors worth 10 points and give them weapon options
7. lower vespid cost at least 5-10 points, or just give them 4+ armor and drop cost 6 points, i'd settle for that
8. make drones viable, i dont care how, just do something that prevents me from shaking my head when i see their codex entry
9. i would love to see the tau go in a more IG direction, by this i mean vet. fire warriors and ethereal command squads with guys like IG have
10. give another tank hunting choice. so far we have 2 things that can handle land raiders and they are so f@#$ing expensive!
thats about all i got. may seem like a big list but when you read back on the last few 5th ed codexes you'll see this isnt asking for much compared to what others got and are getting.
There are three kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who cannot.
Man, so many things I want, what to list?
1. More Battlesuits! Suits were why I got into the Tau, I want the ability to take an all suit-only suit army!
2. BS4. Tau are the ultimate shooters, why make them be basic imperial guardsmen? Grotz shoot as good as our Battlesuits!
3. Reduced points. Almost universal, or make what we have totally worth the points (Stealthsuits would be fine at their current cost, if only they could take MPs)
4. Defensive weapons on our vehicles, with more weapon options!
5. New Allies, with the ability to take an army of just allies with no Tau.
6. Re-worked special characters, with more new characters! Just make Farsight make XV8s troops, and I'd take him in a heartbeat!
7. Become the true mobile shooty army we were meant to be!
8.Drones. More options for drone types, cheaper, don't count as anything but wargear (i.e., a drone dying doesn't scare my battlesuits off the board) And they don't count as extra killpoints when on a vehicle(This is my main problem with them!)!
Thats it for now, though I want sooo much more!
Tau Empire: We never stop hiding from you
It seems like most of us are on the same page. Games workshop is interested in making money and seeing as most Tau fans have similar interests, I think there is a good chance that they will infact listen to us.
I have been quite impressed with the majority of the 5th edition rules and codex's, Tau will most likely follow suit here.
In all honesty, if all they changed was add an option for an all suit army with the xv22s/xv9s, that would be enough for me (no matter how much it sucked).
what date is anybody hearing by the way? I've heard anywhere from April this year to February next year, though more than anything june (or july whichever is 40k month) of this year
There are three kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who cannot.
Honestly, its a complete toss up for the release date since GW is pretty secretive until they actually finalize concepts. Most of us are also unsure of a specific time because necrons have been in development for a while and are using an older codex.
The arguments have been made that in fairness to the fans, necrons be released first as to bring them up to speed. In this instance Tau will most likely be expected towards the second half of 2011 to early 2012. However, since the necrons have been challenging to convert to 5th edition, they may decide to release Tau first as they were relatively more simple to update. In this instance I would most likely expect Tau sometime in the summer - but I and most of you, would love earlier!