Stormboyz, the new Tankbustas? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    133 (x2)

Stormboyz, the new Tankbustas?

Just an idea I've been messing around with, but 5 Stormboyz including a nob with a Klaw is only 100-ish pts and can potentially be used as tank killas.

Because of their speed you can run them up a flank hopping from cover to cover, and assault a tank with them. The nob tends to make short work of most things. Even if they're then shot to pieces, it's a fair exchange for an enemy tank.

Only problem I really see is that they're slightly unpredictable, as well as made out of cardboard.

True it takes some skill (and luck!) to keep them safe, but I recently destroyed a chaos pred using this squad.

Any thoughts?

W/D/L Rumpin' BackThumpa's WAAAGH, 38/3/21

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x2)

for 105 points, you could get 3 rocket buggies. More survivability, same force org slot, more reliable anti-tank, while also forcing an enemy to waste anti-tank shots which would otherwise be focusing on your more valuable things like transports. The only advantage a group of storm boys would have is that they can assault, but with 5 you will likely get wiped before you get attacks off, or will lose the assault so badly that you shouldn't have gone in in the first place. The only way to counter that would be get more stormboys, but at that point it's no longer a cheap unit, and when shot up will be a big point sink as they will only be wasting anti infantry fire which isn't really a waste at all as most lists have an abundance of it.

Also with a redpaint job for 120 it garunteed moves farther than the stormboys every time, and since it isn't relying on assaulting to break the tank it gets in range 18" sooner as rockets can be fired from a distance vs assault range.
    Last edited by scottyde; March 15th, 2011 at 23:30.

Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

Got to agree with above, Koptas and Buggies are better tank busting alternatives. A small Stormboy unit is prone to running away, killing itself or just being chewed up by a few HBs. Personally I prefer Koptas above all just because of the Alpha Strike.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

72 (x2)

My preference is the buggies, because I use a kff mechanized list, so they get a 4+ save and suck up anti-tank. It lets my trucks/battle wagons through, and on games that they are dumb enough to ignore them, I demolish all the armour they have, which lets my boys eat them when they eventually slog in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x2)

I always look my lists as i was the opponent (how could my other army handle it). What list would give me pain is a good list.
    A single combat squad could foce your 5 man unit to run off even behind a nice 3+ cover.
    Therefore i would not use them.
    But if you liked them do not listen to other players, just use them!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x2)

Hey animated_shadow,

I echo some of the concerns brought up by others, and agree that buggies are a great anti-tank choice. However, storm boyz present a threat to all sorts of enemies. Charge them against heavy weapons squads to kill them or at least tie them up. Take out the worst tank threats that you face. PKs are strength 9 on the charge, which is advantageous against armor. You don't want to assault them in alone, but they have such great range that they can be great at supporting assaults. Squad of boyz having some trouble in a bogged down combat? Send them in. Coordinating charges of multiple units is always advantageous.

Its also been discussed to arm the nob with a big choppa. It hits at strength 7, which is still enough to rock lightly armored vehicles, and costs twenty fewer points.

We orks can never get enough anti-tank, so why not use them and some buggies to boot?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x2)

A mob of Stormboyz tabbing in behind a mob on foot works like Raptors or any similarly-armed jump squad-your opponent opens up on you, then your boyz leap forward and smash the arse off them. That could be another way of getting some use out of them. As everyone says, Stormboyz are poo on their own but can be dynamite when used the right way. Even leaping in behind transports is good-the vehicles run into trouble and the heavy boyz jump to the rescue. You can maintain the same speed as well. Regarding buggies, I use them as an attack column to screen my massed foot boyz, and they draw a lot of fire as well as returning it, but I can see how Stormboyz can work if you have some or like the look of them and want to get some on the table. Koptaz do the same job but if Stormboyz appeal to you then give it a try.
    Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank and he can rob the world.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

I love love love the stormboyz models. They just don't seem to be that effective in actual use vs other options..especially because fundamentally, they are just really fast moving boys. At least a squad of boyz in a truck gets some level of protection against small arms fire.

Maybe if they gave stormboyz some sort of cover save from their rockets belching out smoke everywhere they'd be a bit more worth the points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    133 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Seanchadith View Post
    Hey animated_shadow,
    Squad of boyz having some trouble in a bogged down combat? Send them in. Coordinating charges of multiple units is always advantageous.
    This does work, forcing the enemy to split attack if he wants to take out both Klaws. I play speed freaks and sometimes Trukka boyz need a bit of help with some of the tougher enemies out there.

While I agree that buggies are generally more effective, the models are horrible compared to the purty Stormboyz! I never intended to field the stormboyz in a squad of 5, but costs meant I could only buy one box for the present. I just thought I'd post this up presenting an alternative for people who hate the buggy models as much as myself.
    W/D/L Rumpin' BackThumpa's WAAAGH, 38/3/21

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

72 (x2)

I mentioned in another thread how much I hate how the orks look miniature on the buggies. I'm like why does my army have a group of midgets driving their buggies? Is there something about driving one that causes ork bodies to attrophy? Yah, I agree the models aren't the greatest (not AS bad if you replace all the gunners with normal sized boys) but still point for point in the fast attack slot they are just too useful.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast