Anti Vehicle - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anti Vehicle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anti Vehicle

So with the rather armour heavy lists that I've seen in the last couple of years i was wondering what you fellow sept residents field with your xv8's. Do you prefer fusion blasters (close range but lethal) or missile pods (long range and more shots) for your anti vehicle punch? Im assuming you all field 3-4 railguns to back the suits up also.

Currently im fielding
    shas'o and 2 bodyguards with plasma rifles and fusion blasters, all with target array and HWMT.

3 XV8s with plasma rifle and missile pod w/HWMT

3 xv8s with flamer and TL missile pods

Im only fielding 9 suits because thats all i own and i dont want to buy any more until a new codex comes out (Whenever that is!).

So what do you Shas'Os prefer...Missile pods or fusion blasters...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by furstenburg View Post
    shas'o and 2 bodyguards with plasma rifles and fusion blasters, all with target array and HWMT.
    Not a fan of this loadout because of the close range in which you must operate. If you're that close to the enemy, it's literally make or break time. Either you completely wipe out the enemy, or you're doomed in an assault. I prefer keeping my distance.
    Quote Originally Posted by furstenburg
    3 XV8s with plasma rifle and missile pod w/HWMT

3 xv8s with flamer and TL missile pods
    These are my favored loadouts. The PR/MP ("fireknife") suits are versatile and powerful. The TLMP ("deathrain") suits are cheap and hit hard for the points spent. Can't go wrong with either build.
    Quote Originally Posted by furstenburg
    Im only fielding 9 suits because thats all i own and i dont want to buy any more until a new codex comes out (Whenever that is!).
    You could save yourself some points if you reduce your Shas'o down to a Shas'el and move the bodyguard models to the Elites section. You have the slot open!
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ah bit of a typo there..he is a shas'el with TA

thanks for the input but I was more interested in what other people use on their XV8s rather than getting advice on how to change my own build.

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Well, the hint to remove Bodyguards to Elites was going to be one of my "asides" too, but since number6 has already got in there first...

I run a Farsight list with all Bodyguards toting PR/FB/TA/HWMT and inevitable Shield Drone clouds, 2x Fireknife Teams and a single Deathrain team. The reason for the Bodyguards having such powerful short-ranged firepower is that I use them in an in-your-face way. However, that is my preference of playstyle which I know is not the almost de rigueur stay-away-from-them style of other players.

If I'm playing a standard army type then it's Fireknife/Deathrain pretty much all round. The Missile Pods are too good at their job not to be taken, and the PRs are good anti-TEq deterrents.

If I feel like playing a "let's see what happens" type list, then I would field pretty much any set of configurations. That sort of list though is more to give me a challenge (not being boastful or anything by saying that, just saying the list is probably not as strong as the standard army list) rather than guaranteeing a win - which it wouldn't with my dice......

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by furstenburg View Post
    thanks for the input but I was more interested in what other people use on their XV8s rather than getting advice on how to change my own build.
    Ah. Well, to be more explicit: use nothing but fireknives and deathrains. For all the reasons I stated in my first response. IMHO, nothing else at all for weaponry on XV8s is worth considering.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Well this is what I use in my 2000pt list:

HQ

Shas'El
    Plasma, Missile Pod, Targeting array, HW multi tracker, BK 102pts
    Bodyguard squad
    2 x Bodyguard with Plasma, MP, TA and HW multi 164pts

Shas’El
    Plasma, Missile pod, Targeting array, HW multi tracker 97pts (attached to FK elite squad)

Elites

Fireknife squad
    2 x XV8 with Plasma, Missile Pod, Multi (Team leader has TA and HW multi)
    139pts

Deathrain squad
    2 x XV8 with twin linked Missile Pod, Targeting array
    106pts

Torch squad
    3 x XV8's with twin linked Flamers, Missile Pod
    129pts

So I use Plasma/MP Shas'El's and bodyguard because Fireknives are only worth taking if you they hit at minimum BS4 and have multi trackers. Plasma is simply not worth taking if it misses 50% of the time, I do take one basic Firekife elite because I find it better to have the one extra Plasma than the extra Deathrain (I face quite a bit of MEQ).
    On my other suits I take twin linked missile pods with targeting arrays. I know that many do not agree with target locks with twin linking but I answer that with "if you don't hit everything else is moot".
    I take the Torch squad (twin linked flamer and missile pod) but I have plenty of markerlight support and because all but one of the other XV8's have enhanced BS as standard I can up the BS of this units MP's to 4 or 5 most turns.

So most of the time I am hitting with BS4 and BS5 missile pods and Plasma.

My list has:

Rapid fire range:

4 BS5 Plasma/MP shots a turn
    6 BS4 Plasma/MP shots a turn
    2 BS3 Plasma/MP shots a turn

In addition it has four BS4 twin linked Missile pod shots and 6 BS3 Missile pod shots per turn, the six BS3 MP’s will usually be firing at BS5 due to the markerlights. So all in all this list can put out 22 MP shots a turn. This can hit with 12 Plasma shots a turn (rapid fire) most with superior BS and if needed I can up them all to BS5. Many "experts" on other forums and blogs are saying that Plasma is a luxury (and an expensive one at that) and because of cover saves etc should not be taken. I actually agree with that to a point in that Plasma is expensive on basic elite XV8 suits because it misses to much.
    If you are paying for expensive Plasma it needs to hit, if it does not hit it is a waste of time taking it and the other point of cover saves is handled by markerlights. Plasma is needed against MEQ's and other tough targets especially with the newer codex releases giving armies a lot of ability to get close fast or take lots of mid range AV vehicles.

The ability to take down tough targets fast relies on three things:
    (1) making sure you hit in the 1st place
    (2) wound on a maximum off 3+ (4+ and above is no good)
    (3) Negate saves (including cover saves)

So my list does this with 22 highly accurate missile pods to deal with mid range AV vehicles and fast units (bikes etc) and it also has a lot of punch via Plasma to handle anything that does get close and twin linked Flamers add some real close range punch as well especially against things like Nids.
    One thing that needs saying here is many players do not understand how to get the best out of markerlights in conjunction with XV8's. They think that ML's are there mainly to up BS and this is very wrong, building your XV8's so the majority do not need ML's to up their BS means the markerlights are freed up to make the rest of the list more efficient.

I use my ML's to help my railguns hit (BS5 railguns are a good thing), to lower or remove cover saves (especially on transports) or to launch seekers (if you take them).
    My XV8 builds and usage are different from most of the other lists you see out there but if you actually take the time to look and understand how it works you will see it is very efficient, highly accurate (very little wastage of shots) and when they do hit the target is destroyed more often because it handles cover saves and has high strength weaponry. it can also handle a large range of target types from vehicles to Marines to Nids.

Oh and the Helios (plasma, Fusion, Multi and TL) is a fantastic build and with the masses of fast mech Marine lists being thrown at us now it really has a place again. I am actually considering taking my Els as Helios again because they quite simply are the best answer to tough MEQ units.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, with the large number of infantry cover saves and fast moving skimmers these days i seem to find all my marker lights used to reduce cover rather than to improve my BS

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

Not a fan of this loadout because of the close range in which you must operate. If you're that close to the enemy, it's literally make or break time. Either you completely wipe out the enemy, or you're doomed in an assault.
    No, it's not. If I shoot from 10", then jump back 6" to land just behind a wall of kroot spaced 20mm apart, even if you can (which isn't that terribly common, but it does exist) charge 16" or more, you're going to hit the wall of kroot at about 14".

I prefer keeping my distance.
    Me, too. A distance of approximately 11" in my shooting phase, and 17" at the start of the enemy turn. Of course, it only matters for about the first two turns of the game. By turn three, I'll have retreated to where you started, and we'll both be at knife-fighting range with a determined enemy and little room to run.

You could save yourself some points if you reduce your Shas'o down to a Shas'el and move the bodyguard models to the Elites section. You have the slot open!
    Excellent advice!

/edit/

I don't want to give the impression that I field helios teams. Actually, my teams consist of one fireknife, one helios, and one PR/MP/FB suit (two of them are shas'els, one is a team leader), for a total of three teams that can each function as 2x fireknife and 1x helios, 2x helios and 1x fireknife, or 1 each of helios, fireknife, and fireforge, as the situation dictates. My prefered operating range is that of helios, but with ultimate flexibility in terms of always having the right tool for the job. Against MEQs/TEQs, I fire as 2x helios and 1x fireknife, against transports inside 12" as 1 each of helios, fireknife, and fireforge, and against GEQs or vehicles outside of 12", as 2x fireknife and 1x helios. Fireknife is the most flexible suit, but pure firknife is not the most flexible team. In larger games, I'd add in the two team leaders to the teams that are led by 'els and have two three-weapon suits in each of those two teams, but sub-2k, nine suits is actually a lot. I'm even taking a SMT in lieu of the non-'el crisis team in friendly play (for a mere six crisis suits in the list!)
    Last edited by Marnepup; March 23rd, 2011 at 22:03.
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

+ Reply to Thread