Dark Eldar My Style - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dark Eldar My Style

here is my 1850 point DE list

HQ: Archon(shadowfield. Combat Drugs agonizer splinter pistol)
    Incubi retinue(5)Blasterx2
    Incubi Master
    Raider

Troops: Raider Squad(10 man, Splinter Cannon , Blaster ) sybarite(agonizer, splinter pistol)(this unit x5)(each raider with disentigrator)
    Warrior Squad 10 man 2 dark Lances, 2 blaster

Fast Attack: Reaver Jetbike squad(3)2xblaster

Heavy: 3x Ravager 3Xdisetigrator

there it is, completely undefeated in 15 games. I have beat Iron warriors, Nids, Black Templars, Blood Angels, and Vanilla Orks.

its a solid army and one I am happy playing

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x4)

Re: Dark Eldar My Style

It's a very good list, but IMHO you lack in anti tank punch, and one or two squads of wyches would also perform very well

here is my 1850 point DE list

HQ: Archon(shadowfield. Combat Drugs agonizer splinter pistol)
    Incubi retinue(5)Blasterx2
    Incubi Master
    Raider
    Cut the blasters, they're usually not worth the points in a retinue, incubi should always have their punishers.
    The master is also a waste of points. Use five normal incubi, they're perfectly balanced to fight against most opponents - they don't annihilate them with the charge but you finish them off in the opponent's assault phase. That's optimal.
    Change the agonizer+splinter pistol to punisher and t-helm, with a retinue of expensive incubi your HQ isn't supposed to fight wraithlords and such - and against the opponents which you mentioned you won't face much T5+. Use S+1 and rerolls as drug effects, it's of course more effective against T3 and still slightly better (!) against T4.

Troops: Raider Squad(10 man, Splinter Cannon , Blaster ) sybarite(agonizer, splinter pistol)(this unit x5)(each raider with disentigrator)
    Warrior Squad 10 man 2 dark Lances, 2 blaster
    These are fine, but i'd change some disintegrators to lances (and spend the 5 points on horrorfices). You also can reduce one or two squads to 5 warriors w/o sybarithe, in order to get some points for wyches and the reaver improvements

Fast Attack: Reaver Jetbike squad(3)2xblaster
    These are now dedicated tank hunters, and they played an important role, but if you have some more lances in your army then you can use them otherwise, and IMHO better. Boost the squad size to 6, including a succubus with power weapon (!), t-helm and haywires. They are a decent close combat squad, good against devastor squads and such things. You don't need an agonizer on the suc because she already is S4 and you'd waste a S+1 drug roll. They also aren't supposed to fight things like wraithlords.
    With a squad size of six you can take 3 casualties before being below 50%, and you have exactly three meat shields!

Heavy: 3x Ravager 3Xdisetigrator
    <evil grin>

As mentioned, it's already a very good list, but quite shooty. With the changed that i suggested you can make it a versatile list, which won't have lost much shootiness, just a few splinter rifles.

jwu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I appreciate the advice,
    I have tinkered with the idea of wyches and I dont believe thats the way I want my army to go. I mean I am very very shooty and I like it that way and the wyches just dont fit that and they tend to die very very easily if you cant get them in cc right off the bat.

also with having that many disentegrators they do double duty of troop killing in hoard and Space marine armies. Dark Lances are good but they dont have the mass removal aspect I wanted to go with. It hurts with DE not having a ordinance of any kind. also the blasters take the place of Dark Lances, they just as effective at close range. The disentegrator also easily takes down rhinos and the like, i have had no issues with using so many so far.

The blasters in the retinue are simply a experiment, I havent figured out if they are worth theyre costs or not. I have noticed if my HQ leaves their raider I dont win by a lot of points, if they stay in the raider and bounce around hitting and running , i usually win by a big margin.

My sybarites are absolutely essential, if a raider goes down , that unit just became either fire support or a assualt squad. More often than not I use them to tangle up a unit for a few turns, although I have had a sybarite blow up a dreadnought(has happened twice), blow up a rhino, kill the emporers chump(happens all the time) and they kill marines fairly consistently. which is what i metagamed this army for btw.

I get flak all the time for not using a talos and not using witches but my no loss record I believe speaks for itself.

I do appreciate input and suggestions, it keeps me thinking from different angles in respect to how my army is played.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ive got:
    Custom converted archon (like the dude with the cloak in the codex colour pages) with shadow field, agonsier, splinter pistol and combat drugs
    7 incubi
    1 master with combat drugs
    All run around in a raider

9 scratch built mandrkes

6 wyches and a sybarite, who has combat drugs and agonsier

5 warp beasts and beastmaster

5 squads of 10 warriors, each with 2 splinter cannons, and a sybarite with agoniser, pistol and combat drugs

8 jetbikes, 1 shredder, 1 blaster, 1 succubus with combat drugs and agoniser

7 scourges, 2 splinter cannons, 2 dark lances, 2 rifles, one is a sybarite with drugs and agoniser

2 ravagers (1 is an asdrubael vect model, we dont normally use special characters) usually with 1 dark lance and 2 disintigrators on each
    and a talos

Normally i forego the 2nd ravager for the talos

I always pick plus 1 attact and reroll misses for the drugs.

Occasionally i pick strike first as a 3rd option for my archon when hes in it deep.

Standard opponents:
    2 2000pt khorne armies at the same time (roughly even win loss ratio)
    1000 pt eldar force (easy fight)
    2500 pt eldar force (not that easy, but still a destructive fight)
    various <1500pt armies including tau, ultramarines, dark angels, orks

Fav tactic....
    Holding back the raider and jetbikes till the 2nd turn then using jetbik eboosters and raider moving with bikes in a phalanx around the raider. 3rd turn unloading the command squad on any unlucky or dangerous unit.

By this point id have fleet of footed up warriors and the wyches to cover the flanks, and all chaos breaks loose. mandrakes and talos are usually supporting the attack from the extreme flanks. If it works (and it mostly does, then the enemy army crumbles, otherwise you have massive casualties on both sides.

The agonisers in the warrior squads help here

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x4)

Aargh! I wrote a really long reply, but then my IE screwed up. But i'll write it once more, slightly shortened:

Ive got:
    Custom converted archon (like the dude with the cloak in the codex colour pages) with shadow field, agonsier, splinter pistol and combat drugs
    7 incubi
    1 master with combat drugs
    All run around in a raider
    7 incubi plus master are total overkill, they'll annihilate most targets with the charge, and then they're exposed to shooting. Better stretch the close combat and finish off the opponent in his own assault phase. A Lord plus five incubi are optimal for this.
    Additionally, a Lord with eight incubi are a real point sink, dangerous to use and they will have a hard time to get the points back.

9 scratch built mandrkes
    Personally i don't like mandrakes at all. But if you want to keep them, then add a tenth model and split them to two squads. This way you can confuse your opponent with six deployment markers instead of three.

6 wyches and a sybarite, who has combat drugs and agonsier
    These are dead meat. Always put wyches into a raider.
    Add wych weapons, and boost the squad size to 9 or 10. The succubus is well armed, but drop the combat drug dispenser. 4 or 6 of the random effects are useful, and the dispenser would replace the suc's random drug effect (the rest of the squad still uses the random drugs). So all you get for 25pts is the chance to choose a effect which already will be fine with a 4/6 chance, and using two drug options - the only way to get the dispenser's points back - is too dangerous, because you risk to kill the suc, but she is essential for the efficiency of your squad.
    Consider blasters.

5 warp beasts and beastmaster
    These are fine.

5 squads of 10 warriors, each with 2 splinter cannons, and a sybarite with agoniser, pistol and combat drugs
    Change them all to raider squads, armed with splinter cannon and blaster. Drop the sybarithe's drugs, they're not worth the points.
    Especially against the Khornate armies the increased mobility will be a great benefit, and generally raider squads are more useful than footslogging warriors. If you need some points to spend elsewhere, reduce one or two of the squads to 5 or 6 warriors, without sybarithe. Eventually change one of these squads to a second wych squad (in this case you cannot field two squads of mandrakes though).
    Arm all your raiders with either lance and horrorfex, or with a disintegrator. Never combine dis and horrorfex - when there is a tempting target for a horrorfex, then it's also nice for the disintegratior, and you'll probably prefer to liquify it. In this case you'll probably never use the 'fex.

8 jetbikes, 1 shredder, 1 blaster, 1 succubus with combat drugs and agoniser
    Reavers are one of my favourite units, i just learned to equip them slightly different:
    Change the shredder to a second blaster, it's way better against vehicles, cheaper, and more effective against armoured infantry. Things which you can kill with a shredder also can be killed with splinter fire or in close combat.
    Change the succubus' agonizer to a power weapon. She shouldn't have her own combat drug dispenser because of the same reasons as the wyches, and she already is S4. So a lucky random drug roll of S+1 would be wasted, because an agonizer never wounds better than 4+, and a S5 succubus should be able to do so. Reavers also never should fight super tough things, such as wraithlords, because they're too expensive per model to fight things which ignore armour saves - and most things against which they would need an agonizer do so. You have tons of lances or the wyches with their invulnerable saves in order to fight these.
    Add a t-helm, for an extra attack, and haywires, in order to finish off tanks which eventually survived the blaster shots.
    A squad size of 8 is fine, but six would be fine too - three meat shields, and they can take exactly three casualties before being below 50%.

7 scourges, 2 splinter cannons, 2 dark lances, 2 rifles, one is a sybarite with drugs and agoniser
    These are crap!
    Scourges should never be armed with lances - if you want footslogging lances, use "sniper squads", 10 warriors with two lances. In average, they'll cost only a few points more per lance, but they gift you with cheap meat shields which also are armed with splinter rifles. They still can move 9.5" in average, compared to 12" of the scourges, these 2.5" are their only disadvantage.
    Splinter cannon scourges pack a lot of shootiness against poorly armoured and not shooty troops such as tyranids or orks, but there are other things in the DE range which can do this too, and often better.
    With a point cost similar to terminators per model but with T3 5+, they shouldn't face situations in which they take hits, especially close combat should be avoided at all cost. Therefore you don't need a sybarithe either.
    I don't use scourges at all, and i don't miss them.

2 ravagers (1 is an asdrubael vect model, we dont normally use special characters) usually with 1 dark lance and 2 disintigrators on each
    and a talos
    Change the armament to three disintegrators. With tons of lances and blasters in the troop and elite choices, you won't have a problem to destroy vehicles, but you lack in shootiness against heavy infantry. A ravager with three disintegrators can annihilate a whole tac squad with a single volley, remember the clarified rules for multiple blast weapons:
    You place a single marker and count the models which were hit by it. Then you multiple this number with the number of disintegrators which hit the target (all shot by the same ravager). So if you can manage it to hit three models with a blast marker, then three disintegrators can score nine hits. That's a nightmare for every marine player.
    If you drop the scourges, then you can afford fielding both ravagers and the talos - i'd do it. A talos is slooooow though, but fun.

jwu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for your suggestions, but i should point out several things which may or may not help you.

1. The command squad - As my most common army opponent is a khornate pair, ive learnt the hard way that splinter rifles simply cannot kill the truly dangerous chaos command squad (loard, aspiring champs, full wargear, etc)

Situations which reqire heavy shock troops, with good wargear, in a close combat army to be removed require such a large incubi squad. They can kill most in the first round, and as most of these guys dont break they stay in combat until one side or the other is gone. At this point a sweeping advance into the rest of the rmy helps, as they are all in a line if they are a decent close combat army. This way you avoid much of the shooting, and cause maximum confusion for the enemy.

2. Sybarite drugs - these warriors can save you, try it out. I know it costs about the price of 3 warriors to equip the sybarites, but you have a sqaud which can pack a punch! When chargin the sybarite gets 1 attack, + 1 for 2 cc weapons, + 1 for comabt drugs, while rerolling misses. Then you need a 4+ to kill, which is very good. Normally they would get at least 2 people dead, and against opponents like space marines or necrons, which are mopre resilient then granite castles, it helps.

Also, if your advanicng your army steadily or fleeting around (or in raiders, as the case may be) you have a good firing force which can deploy and assault almost any unit and get away with it.

I remember once that a bunch of rampaging possessed shattered my command squad, and charged my last warrior squad. the sybarite held them off for 2 turns while killing 5 ofthem with the squads help (the chosen had invulnerable saves and +1 strength and something else). Your opponenet doesnt suspect a 'shooty' squad to possess such punch, so try it out.

3. Scourges! - I completely disagree with you here. Their potential to massacre any troop squad is massive, and they do well against light vehicles as well. Theyre manevourability helps so they can shift positon while shooting the cannons, and they cans stay far away form the fight because they are a small squad.

Hope you take some of these into consideration in your next game

Amadeus

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x4)

I'm sorry if i sound like a smart alec, but i already tried all these things, and they don't work for me.

In order to kill a command squad, you have tons of lances and disintegrators. These should make a bloody mess of them.

For the points of the combat drugs of the sybarithes and the succubus, you can easily afford another wych squad, another reaver squad or even a small second HQ - IMHO a specialized extra squad which can be used in exactly where you need it is better than an expensive upgrade which will work only in rare cases, and which is also dangerous to use. If you want to protect your warrior squads (which isn't a darkeldarish tactic at all ), then just keep this extra squad close to them, and concentrate its punch against the enemy who attacks the warriors, instead of having it spread through all the squads. A wych squad in a raider will be sufficiently mobile to accomplish this.

The scourges....what can they do what other squads can't do at least equal efficient?
    For the same point cost you can have two raider squads, who then provide you with two lances which can shoot on the move, two mobile blasters, two splinter cannons and 6 splinter rifles. You also get the option to move 24", and to operate with the raiders independently from the warriors.
    These two raider squads have a lot more firepower than your scourges, they are more mobile, less fragile and more versatile.

jwu

Closed Thread