Killakaz Grotzooka or big rokkit? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Killakaz Grotzooka or big rokkit?

I can't find any threads on this so here goes:
    Grotzooka or big rokkit?

I was thinking that grotzooka was an obvious choice but since the scatter dice only lands a hit 1/3rd of the time, the BS3 seems wasted. Even if you count scatter in, its only -3" which I imagine to help with scatter totals of 2,3,4 and 5.

Also, since rockets have longer range, you could be shooting in turn 1. Are rokkits just bad for anti-tank now?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Grotzookas are heavy 2; you get two pokes per kan. If you're shooting six, you're likely to get two solid hits plus one more short scatter, and lucky dice can mean a LOT of S6 hits. Sure, they're not all that armor-piercing, but what Ork gun is?

(It's not a "big rokkit", just a regular one.)

Grotzookas are a nice option against infantry, with enough shots that it's not crazy to shoot at transports. Rokkits will give you a better chance against tanks, but are -terrible- against infantry. The kans aren't actually that great at anti-infantry work, with low WS and not all that many attacks (though they're dangerous against big hitters because, after all, each hit is a DCCW!) But tanks really don't want to get into charge range against a unit of kans anyway. The only tanks that don't fear a S10 punch in the butt are the next best thing to immune to your rokkits anyway.

That doesn't mean you should never take rokkits - there's no better platform for them in the Ork army, after all. And orks aren't usually slouches against horde infantry to start with. But even armed with rokkits, the DCCW is the real anti-tank threat.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oooooh i see, I could've sworn i thought grotzooka was heavy 1. Ok for heavy 2 I'll take it. Also, do kans ever get into CC? if you're shooting every turn and footslogging, they dont seem to be able to get anywhere.
    My first army was CSM and I remember how much of a pita it was to run a CSM dread across the board. A DCCW on every kan sounds nice for vehicle cracking but for some reason I have serious doubts that I can even make it into CC.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

Rokkit's are useful on kan's (due to the bs of 3), but if you're looking for rokkit duty, a buggy costs less, and is TL'd at BS of 2, making it roughly the same chance to hit.

Kan's do get into combat sometime...mainly because the grotzooka range is 18, so you're already usually just a turn or two away from assault at that point. They aren't the best at CC, but they have a lot of attacks (9 (on the charge) with a full group), so you're bound to hit with some. (And all the attacks are DCCW, so str 10, no armor save).

Grotzooka's IMO, are one of the best ork weapons, besides shoota's and deff rollas. The amount of wounds you can deliver to targets is staggering. I once unloaded 6 grot kan's on a mob of eldar scouts and space marines in cover. They had to take 44 saves. FORTY FOUR SAVES.

Needless to say they were wiped clean off the map, even with 2+ cover, and 3+ armor saves.

They are also decent at light/medium anti tank. It's a str 6 hit on the top armor, which uses the side armor...which generally on most marine vehicles is 11. Just be careful. You can blow up yourself due to awful scatter .
    Last edited by greggles; April 11th, 2011 at 16:33.

m4b
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so in a squad of 3 kanz what do people take ? mix of rockets , KMB , grot zooka or just stick to one type and keep it more anti tank or anti infantry?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Only barrage weapons have that rule, greggles (with a couple of exceptions, but grotzookas aren't one). Normal blasts resolve on the armor side that's facing you.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

192 (x4)

Oh snap! I did not know that. Thanks Avatar! The things you learn everyday!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

192 (x4)

All the same. Otherwise you end up with kan's engaging tanks with flamers, and other kan's shooting rokkit's at ork boyz.

Of the kan choices, your best are...

Grotzooka (by a long shot, cheap and effective, but short range)
    megablasters (IMO, just because they're hard to field in the codex without gets hot, or BS2)
    rokkit's (BS3 is nice).

Big shoota's, almost everything in the codex can take, and cheaper/better. TL BS buggies are great!
    Rokkit's, most of the codex can take as well, both buggies and deffchopta's are TL.
    Skorcha. You waste the BS of 3 here, since they auto hit.

I used to run rokkit's all the time. But 3 shots for the whole group @ 150 points is pretty expensive. You can run 3 TL rokkit buggies for 105. Same number of shots, twin linked (but hits on 5 instead of 4). Now I run the kan's as cheap as possible, which lets me use them more as disposable bubble wrap for the boyz...and because I care less about them, I use them much more aggressively, which usually results in them doing crazy amounts of damage.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah, I see, I hadn't considered warbuggies with rokkits. I'll keep that in mind for next month's conversion project.

But I had forgotten why I considered rokkits to be awesome and that was to pop transports. So many rhinos worth KPs. Also, the longer range. I figure I'll be shooting rokkits the whole game poping rhinos and chimeras so by the time my boyz get there, theres already something to assault.

Hmm... I think I'm going to run 2 x 3 kanz one with 3 rokkits and one with 3 grotzookas and see which one works better.

stupid 13$ per grotzooka....

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

192 (x4)

A grotzooka is just a simple tube attached to one of the kan arms. You can make one with spare kannons, or just some plastic tubing you find around the house. Also sometimes on ebay, they pop up as cheap as 4 bucks. Just gotta check now and again.

Here's an example of a modified non GW grotzooka.

I'd also highly recommend pinning, or magnetizing the kan arms. It's quite easy due to their ball and socket joints, and it makes it a great deal easier to swap between configurations. As a bonus, if you do ever sell them, they'll sell at a premium due to the magnetized arms.

I find that if you really like burna tactics, the kan's are basically range 18" str 6 template destroyers. With 6 blast templates in a group, you can end up hitting 18-24+ times, and wounding on a 2+, in a single firing round.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast