'Elite' tyranids... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    88 (x1)

'Elite' tyranids...

Good evening (completely dependent on location, but anyway...),

I have just got myself a copy of the Tyranid codex (after player DOW 2 retribution), no mini's yet, and am toying with the idea of a sort of 'elite' tyranid list.

By this I mean using mainly warriors as troop choices, along with the genestealers. Lots of big monsters, expensive elites, fast, heavy etc..

I know the above may well be incomprehensible, but I hope someone can get the gist of what I am trying to say.

My question to those with more experience than I (which narrows it down to every member of this forum )

-Can this list be competitive? (I know that is vague at best, cause any list in the hands of someone who knows there stuff can do well, but in the hands of a muppet like myself...)

-Is this type of build (i think that is the term used..) normal? Anybody else run such a setup?

-Am i barmy?

cheers,

Dwayne

CHK CHK BOOM!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

Yes, yes and no respectivly

What you're describing is commonly referd to as a "nid-zilla" build. Its a reasonably common list that did have a drop in performance come 5th edition. Under the old codex, nid-zilla was the only really viable build we had! Sadly you cant just rely on the big bugs to get the job done anymore, youll need quite a bit of shooting to back it up. This still comes from our medium/big bugs for the most part, so it still fits!

Ive yet to see one using warriors as troops though. Should be interesting, as it will basically make small arms fire redundant.

Units you'll probably want to include would be the likes of: Tyrants, Trygons, Tervigons (instrumental to one of the strongest lists we have currently), tyrannofexs, maybe the odd mawloc, harpy or carnifex. Best thing about that little lot is they're all useable given the right list So its basically a case of pick your bug, and youll find theres a list that uses it.

Youll need to back it up with some anti tank shooting though. Warriors and stealers will probably do as troops, but take a look at hive guard and zoanthropes. They could well come in handy if you dont want to dedicate your big bugs to anti tank work. Hive guard are great and still pretty "elite" and zoanthropes pack the heaviest gun in the game. Whats not to love? If you dont want too many of your big bugs to be anti tank based, then these are the units to look at.

Lastly heres a link to a great little project some of us put together. Sadly I dont contribute as much as Id like to, but thats mostly because by the time I get round to checking it, the best lists for the job have already been put forward. They're just that good

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...t-builder.html

Best of luck, and welcome to the bugs
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's barmy?
    Lets rage!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x1)

thinking about an army like this:
    == HQ ==
    Hive Tyrant (1) - Scything Talons, Scything Talons, AG, Wings, Paroxysm, Leech Essence, Old Adversary = 265 pts.
    Hive Tyrant Brood (345 pts.)
    Hive Tyrant (1) - Twin-Linked Devourer - Brainleech Worms, Twin-Linked Devourer - Brainleech Worms, Paroxysm, Leech Essence, Hive Commander = 225 pts.
    Tyrant Guard (2) - Scything Talons = 120 pts.

== Elites ==
    Hive Guard Brood (3) = 150 pts.
    Hive Guard Brood (3) = 150 pts.
    Ymgarl Genestealer Brood ( = 184 pts.

== Troops ==
    Tyranid Warrior Brood (180 pts.)
    Tyranid Warrior (4) - Deathspitter, Scything Talons = 140 pts.
    Tyranid Warrior (1) - Barbed Strangler, Scything Talons = 40 pts.
    Tyranid Warrior Brood (180 pts.)
    Tyranid Warrior (4) - Deathspitter, Scything Talons = 140 pts.
    Tyranid Warrior (1) - Barbed Strangler, Scything Talons = 40 pts.
    Tyranid Warrior Brood (295 pts.)
    Tyranid Warrior (6) - Pair Of Boneswords, Scything Talons = 240 pts.
    Mycetic Spore (1) - Barbed Strangler = 55 pts.

== Heavy Support ==
    Tyrannofex (1) - Rupture Cannon, Cluster Spines, Thorax Swarm - Desicctor Larvae = 265 pts.
    Trygon Prime (1) - Containment Spines, Synapse Creature, Shadow In The Warp = 240 pts.
    Trygon Prime (1) - Containment Spines, Synapse Creature, Shadow In The Warp = 240 pts.

== Total ==
    2494 pts.

what do you say folks? or should he needs to swap the warroirs for more stealers?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Thommi View Post
    What's barmy?
    HAHA :') That would be one of our crazy british words that nobody else seems to get... essentially it means crazy Or completly mad, something along those lines
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

+ Reply to Thread