More Destroyers or scarabs/wraiths? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More Destroyers or scarabs/wraiths?

Ok so say you have used up 2 of your fast attack slots with destroyers, either 2 units of 4 or 5. What should you get with your last slot? Is it safe to just get more destroyers, or get a unit of scarabs/wraiths, and if so which one?

I've never ran a destroyer lord with a group of wraiths or scarabs so I have no experience with that.

My typical lists include the deceiver riding behind a monolith. 2-3 groups of warriors with a orb lord behind the monolith and 10ish destroyers divided into 3 groups.

Should I jump to 15 destroyers? 10 destroyers with 3x wraiths? 10 destroyers with a unit of 10 scarabs?

I'm looking for some responses from people who have tried these different combinations and what was more fun, and how successful each was.

Lastly if you take 3 wraiths or 10 scarabs are they only successful if you run them with a DLord?

Any point value is fine so that's not much of a concern.

Things I already know:

I know wraiths kind of suck because they only have 1 wound each.
    I know Scarabs with D fields tear vehicles up or are otherwised used to tie up other units.

Any help on this situation would be very much appreciated!

~Thanks!~

Egyptian Crons
    (W/L/D)
    23/5/2

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x2)

I've tried all three of these out in the past (admittedly, I've only tried the Wraiths once) and was never really impressed with Wraiths. 10 Scarabs with D-Fields are very fun, I've ran them in a few games with some success, but most of the time they ended up just being a bit of a distraction, then hit with a template. I've found you can never go wrong with Destroyers, they're fast, tough and have a great gun with a great range.
    World Eaters: W-47 D-10 L-9
    Necrons: W-19 D-3 L-2
    Protectorate of Menoth: W-36 D-0 L-7

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So you pretty much you field 12-15 destroyers then build the rest of your list around that?
    Egyptian Crons
    (W/L/D)
    23/5/2

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

Having fielded all of the above here's the feedback:

1) 15 Destroyers = most competitive list Necrons can field. Period! Destroyers are basically ranged Wraiths, and imagine 45 S6 shots, 45! That's enough to even make Orks cry!

2) 10 Destroyers + 3 Wraiths are great in addition to a punch. My punch is my Deceiver! Imagine, Deceiver goes in with his 5 swings (because of assault bonus) and 12 more S6 swings added to that! Also the opponent now needs to pick his target (kill the wraiths, 3+ invul) or hit the Deceiver 4+ invul. They really help cover that lacking gap...yes they're not power weapons, but that's why you attach them to something that is. I've also recently started using a Dlord+Scythe AND the Deceiver AND the wraiths, I can cover both flanks now from impending assaults. Also since they can move 12" with ignoring terrain, they're great to hide behind the SLOW monolith, and when the Deceiver is finally in range POP forward for that 18" movement/assault.

3) Scarabs are too situational to be considered awsome. T3 means anything S6+ is insta killing them and that means 3 wounds LOST for combat res from one S6+ attack, grouping them with a lord is DUMB because you're likely to LOSE combat because they'll just kill scarabs and you'll sweep yourself or take tons of wounds from the scarabs being fearless. Also they don't tarpit much anymore, They might survive your turn, but in opponents turn more beatings come in. Also for destroyer vehicles...CRAP again, most vehicles trying to rush forward will move over 6" meaning you hit on 6's then PEN on 6's...you're better off shooting 45 destroyer shots and hitting on 3+'s hoping for those 6's do more. Best thing these guys do is turbo boost to get a 2+ cover save (small targets), then contest objectives towards the end...that's it.

For the record 15 destroyers is awsome, but not everyone can afford that. 10 destroyers + 3 wraiths is nice and balanced with some variety. Scarabs, make the baby jesus cry.
    Last edited by Dark Trainer; April 20th, 2011 at 00:30.
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Destroyers

darktrainer is spot on, being able to fire tons of S6 aspect warrior killing weapons is always good, most people make the mistake of taking a necron lord with res orb over a c'tan who if used right will wreck any unit.
    Epic Wheen!1!1!!1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well looks like I need to buy some more destroyers then. Thanks for the help. Hopefully our new code. Let's us bring more variety to our lists than deceiver, 15 destroyers, and a monolith..
    Egyptian Crons
    (W/L/D)
    23/5/2

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Fayt View Post
    Well looks like I need to buy some more destroyers then. Thanks for the help. Hopefully our new code. Let's us bring more variety to our lists than deceiver, 15 destroyers, and a monolith..
    By the way, this is why I only bought 10 (actually have an 11th somewhere). With the new codex looming, I'd hate for my 15 destroyers to set aside a bunch to gather dust. I figure they'll likely make something else sexy and figured 10 was a good balance. But yes, if you don't mind the cash for it, and possibility they will get replaced by something...go for it. They won't get nerfed and still be useful, but imagine if Heavy destroyers became Heavy 2, dual linked or something...
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

+ Reply to Thread