You got yourself a convert. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You got yourself a convert.

Hey guys, I'm a longtime CSM player who decided to see the war from mine enemy's eyes. That said, I've ended up here, in a land that is unfamiliar, but not alien to me. A friend put the idea in my head to see what it would be like. I got my hands (or claws, if you prefer) on the Codex, and I've been studying it for a few months. I feel prepared enough to build a small army. I think bringing the army-list here to you guys is a pretty good place to find my bearings. 1250 pts, here it goes:

1 HQ: Farseer with Singing Spear, Runes of Warding & Witnessing, Spirit Stones, and Guide & Doom

1 Elite(s): Striking Scorpions with an Exarch with a Scorpion's Claw, Stalker & Shadowstrike, and a total of 7 warriors

2 Troops: Dire Avengers with an Exarch with a Shimmershield, Defend & Bladestorm, and a total of 9 warriors

6 Pathfinders

Wave Serpent with EML

3 Heavy Support: Dark Reapers with an Exarch with a Tempest Launcher, Fast Shot, and a total of 3 warriors

Wraithlord with a Bright Lance & EML (plus 2 flamers)

War Walkers with 6 scatter lasers, 3 spirit stones, and a total of 3 Mechs.

Criticism/Support PLEASE!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cool

it actually seems like you got a pretty good handle on the codex.

farseer- good

scorpions- good

troops- we start to run into issues...

a) i dont know if your looking for a competitive list or what, so i'll just try and give you some solid tips. eldar, you will find, are expensive point wise and will be outnumbered by nearly everyone we play. coming from CSM you'll notice very quickly that dire avengers arent T4 3+ save space marines. dire avengers die when someone looks at them funny and because of that they need transports to make them reliable. the transport also makes them one of the best late game objective grabbers out there.

b) i know pathfinders are cool, but your gonna have to be trimming points to get another wave serpent and the pathfinder upgrade is the first place i'd start. rangers are just as reliable and can still hurt what they shoot. you should just take the min of 5 too.

c) all eldar tanks (wave serpents, fire prisms, falcons) need spirit stones. the spirit stones will keep them able to move and swoop in for that late game objective grab or to at least get away from danger

dark reapers- good i guess. with the prevalence of cover saves and mech, dark reapers kinda got screwed in 5th. the weakness of this unit is that at S5 and S4, with the tempest launcher, they cant hurt tanks. their AP3 is good, but a good player will try to keep their infantry in tanks or in cover greatly reducing the effectiveness of this unit.

wraithlord- good

war walkers- really good. except they dont need spirit stones because of squadron rules.

at the 1250 point level you should be abusing S6 shots (something eldar does well) with some strength 8 mixed in. you're off to a good start with the wraithlord and wave serpent load out. try this:

HQ
    145 Farseer: runes of warding, runes of witnessing, spirit stones, guide, and doom

Elites
    163 8xScorpions: exarch w/scorpion claw and shadow strike

Troops
    95 5xRangers
    120 10x Dire Avengers
    130 Wave Serpent: EML, spirit stones
    120 10x Dire Avengers
    130 Wave Serpent: EML, spirit stones

Heavy support
    155 Wraithlord: bright lance, EML, dual flamers
    180 War Walkers: 2xscatter lasers

Total:1238

i tried to use as many of the same units you had before... sadly, the dark reapers had to go. this list needs more light tank popping ability and the reapers werent really helping. i think this is a pretty solid eldar army to learn the ropes with. another note:
    - i dropped the dire avenger exachs because, again, in a meta of mech getting more strength 4 shots doest really mean that much. though, if you want, you could maybe fiddle with the unit sizes to still get the exarchs.

question: do you have an attachment to the units you chose for your list? is there a certain fluff army (saim hann, iyanded, beil tan) that you like?

one of the best things about an eldar army, that you can appreciate coming from CSM, is the speed of the units. you should consider jetbikes and other units to take advantage of this.
    Last edited by eldarkevin; May 5th, 2011 at 04:39.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm gonna respond in a similar fashion to keep the simplicity

A) I've noticed the price of Eldar. With the Aspect Warriors though, I feel like abusing everything they have to offer. I'm running them around with the Farseer, so I felt the power wep & shimmer shield combo would be nice here, and since the Farseer comes with a shuriken pistol, he benefits from bladestorm, and I figured defend would be good for the inevitable CC that I'm gonna run in to.

Pathfinders really caught my interest, but I get the point saving. I mean.. Super-scouts; what's not to love?

C) I am sad about the Dark Reapers.. But, I understand what you mean. 5th threw alot of chaff at plenty of units across the board.

Personally, I like the singing spear. Sure, the Farseer loses an attack, but wound on 2+ and S9 when thrown? It follows the condom rule: I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I can respect taking out Stalker.

Again, I'm iffy on not abusing everything the Dire Avengers have to offer. I understand the less significant loss of an extra S4 shot, but I feel as if they need a little boost in CC.

I'm glad I got the wraithlord right. I was hesitant on the arsenal. I've seen so many people put a sword on the big guy, and I kinda wanted to follow the crowd, but I needed some more anti-armor potential.

I actually have been planning out a backstory for a while, but it's not concrete. It's sort of a house divided thing. Part of the craftworld fell to darkness, the other is just trying to survive constant Chaos attacks and inner turmoil. The Exarchs are actually the leaders here since they are the longest "living" individuals. They coordinate with the Wraithlord and Wraithguard to keep the craftworld stable. I actually want to get my hands on one of the Dark Eldar "motorcycle" helmets to create a Rinzler/Tron character for the Dire Avengers. And the paint schemes are just going to be ridiculous..

I'm actually really excited to get into the larger point games with these guys just to see how well they work with speed. I'm really interested in Phoenix Lords, Shining Spears, and Howling Banshees the most right now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

like that you're thinking this stuff through.

you dont want your dire avengers to really ever get into close combat. when you get into bigger games you'll realize that if they get out of their transports it's really hard to keep them alive. (dire avengers have kinda become the 60point scoring upgrade to wave serpents and falcons).

the thing with most exarchs is, it's usually better to have more bodies or free up points for upgrades on other units than pay for the exarch... *sad face*... i also really like exarchs, but have come to realize it's just not worth having them on some aspects. the scorpions, however, need the exarch *happy face*

agree on the spear (i just skipped over it when i was reading and didnt put in on the farseer)

eldar dont need to kill stuff the way that CSM do. what eldar do need to do is reliably kill rhino/razor hulls. strength 4 cant kill tanks and it's kinda a waste to spend points on something that cant kill rhino/razors. you want strength 6 to do this, by the way, not strength 8 (you still need S8 just not as much as you need S6)

your off to a good start and it sounds like you're pretty competent. your list is actually a good starting point. you should start playing games so you can gain some table top insight into how some of these units perform. i think you'll come around on the dire avenger thing when you get them on the table

another good way to run dire avengers is a unit of 5 in a falcon:
    60 5xDire Avengers
    180/175 Falcon: EML/scatter laser, holo-fields, spirit stones

it's actually cheaper then your unit of ten in a wave serpent, it's way more difficult to kill, and gets more S6/S8 shots. though, it does take up a heavy support slot with the falcon. i think if you upgraded the close combat exarch to this squad it would have a cool small elite unit feel and it would be pretty useful:
    - pop tanks with the falcons guns
    - then move in shoot infantry with the falcon+dire avengers. then charge to clean up.
    - fits your exarch theme
    - guide is also really useful on a falcon

with farseer support this could work if you weaken the squad enough. i think again, you'll find that you just dont want to get the avengers out of the tank...

just some more stuff to play around with and to figure out what works for you
    Last edited by eldarkevin; May 5th, 2011 at 05:41.

+ Reply to Thread