Talos VS Cronos Pain Engine - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which one is more usefull

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Talos

23 71.88%
  • Cronos pain Engine

9 28.13%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talos VS Cronos Pain Engine

I have seen the newest DE models that GW made I admit that that they are amazing.
    Talos and Cronos are certainly they ones that caught my attention but I read their rules and they are two totally different units in terms of usage and battle style.
    But which one is the most usefull?

I would be happy to hear your opinions and your experiences

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    286 (x5)

Chronos is god as it can produce pain tokens easily and only needs to kill one model for this to happen. the Talos can't do this as effectively

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chronos seems better for the pain tokens, but i would probably want to take it with one or both of the upgrades. being able to shoot further with another gun allows for more kills and more tokens while the close combat weapon is not really that useful in theory, it makes your opponents re-think assaulting it. (assuming you were in template range in your turn)
    Victory points for the victory point God!!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

I'm not convinced by the Cronos yet, at first glance I was sold to the distributing PT idea but given the shorter range of it's weapon and it low attacks I don't expect much from it.
    The short range would mean that it will be difficult to target any infantry before turn 2. Most infantry is now in transports and to pop transports you typically use Dark Matter weapons. Those will be provided by Ravagers or Trueborn (at shorter range). You will lose 1 Ravager to the Cronos and will need to be short with your Trueborn, who will block LoS with their Venom that just transported them.
    Because of this I feel the Cronos doesn't add much to an Alfa strike army.

On the other hand the Large Blast and Template thread might encourage your opponent to spread his unit more out and give you a better range for other weaponry or Assault.

I feel they will both perform best in Coven lists with WWP because they lack speed a lot.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x6)

I have used both the Talos and Cronos in several games now and this is how I view them now.

Cronos, people freak out with this guy and will usually spend a ton of firepower to kill it. I used it mainly in wwp lists and on the turn it arrives I have gotten to generate pain tokens no problem. However, the Cronos rarely lives past the following turn so I wonder if you have to take more to really benefit from it. I think the best I have done with it was it surviving 3 turns. I do think you have to support the cronos and be sure to build a list with the cronos in mind, I do not think you can just throw it out there and expect it to deliver 3 tokens a turn - it ain't going to happen.

The Talos is a different beast in nature and now that it has shooting options it replaces the ravager even better than before. A talos coming out of a portal with a twin-linked liquifier and heat lance has made it an all-around contender and can do just about anything that isn't a terminator with storm shields and a hammer. It does survive a little longer than the Cronos but I think I get more production out of a talos (which I have been able to have a choice of targets for it to tackle once it emerges from the portal unlike the cronos).

Boil it down, the Cronos only does well with infantry to shoot at - can't do much against armor and since I play Urien and Wracks a lot I normally do not need tokens that bad to warrant a Cronos.

Just my opinion and playstyle.
    "On a hunch, I melted them down and inhaled the fumes and read the dark eldar codex again, AND FOUND A BUNCH OF NEW RULES HIDDEN BEHIND THE OTHER WORDS..." [Gardeth on modelling & interpreting the DE Codex]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KwiKwag
    I have used both the Talos and Cronos in several games now and this is how I view them now.

Boil it down, the Cronos only does well with infantry to shoot at - can't do much against armor and since I play Urien and Wracks a lot I normally do not need tokens that bad to warrant a Cronos.

Just my opinion and playstyle.
    Totally in agreement. I would love to use a Chronos - looks like a ton of fun on paper, and I really do like the new models.
    However (and maybe it's just because I have a penchant for themed lists...) running one with a Coven seems redundant with all the free PT's you get from Coven-specific units (Talos/ Ravagers would have infinitely more utility in that case and too many Fearless units can sometimes be a liability for DE). In a more standard Kabalite/Wych list they just get made irrelevant as they get left behind immediately and become cannon fodder for any long fang/devastator variant that may be on table.

It would appear that the best use tactically would be in a WWP list, but then again you run into the Coven redundancy issues, and would I really want to sacrifice a HS slot for a Chronos that could be another Talos in that situation?

If only there was a cheaper/less nasty variant that could be dropped in Elites like some of the Dread options in other army lists...

Until a major dynamic changes in either our list or the BRB, I don't think I will be using one unless someone here can convince me otherwise!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've used a Cronos to great effect in a Kabal army and whilst I loved it and it performed fantastically, it's main use is to distribute pain tokens which is rather redundant if you take a Coven army. In those cases I find 3 Talos work a lot better.

As for the figure, I think it looks a lot better than the Talos. But I'm just a sucker for tentacles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

I tend to agree with what's been said already. The Cronos has less overall utility, and doesn't work that well in a coven type armylist. However, I think that the Cronos will work very well in Wych and warrior-heavy lists, where the pain tokens are need to a much greater degree.

With the new Talos/Cronos model, I've gotten very interested in a Coven type army. I will probably run 2 Talos and 1 Ravager as my heavies, but I'll make sure to properly magnetize the Taloses so that i can easily turn them into Cronoses if needed.
    "I have seen you humans, trying to forge an Empire in the name of a corpse"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even though I voted for the Talos (from experience of having to fight against it in the previous Codex) I would want both the Talos and Cronos in my army list for 2 of 3 HS slots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x2)

Although I don`t play DE (yet) I have played a number of games against them and most of these games my opponent came at me with 2 Chronos and I have to say, it`s very unimpressive. I think at most out of say 7-8 games I`ve played against it, it`s maybe generated 3 pain tokens off of me, and always to little effect as the rest of the army is usually too far up the field. I have not played against a Talos since the last book, but just going off of what I`ve seen of the Cronos, I have to vote Talos.
    World Eaters: W-47 D-10 L-9
    Necrons: W-19 D-3 L-2
    Protectorate of Menoth: W-36 D-0 L-7

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast