Venom Unit choice advice. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    79 (x1)

Venom Unit choice advice.

I was originally intending to use an all infantry Web Way list, but as it has been pointed out to me this is largely impractical, and so I have decided to include a Venom to cart the portal.

Which squad do you think would be best employed inside? I'm going to use a heamy (for the price and extra pain token), and the venom will be entirely un-upgraded (I don't expect it to survive).

I was thinking Wracks or trueborn maybe? Incubi seem to pricey (even though they would be the most survivable option with fnp and 3+).

Opinions?

Inquistion force WIP. Pics on posts 17 and 23.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

Don't be put off by the nay-sayers. WWP can work just fine.
    Pat from the 11th Company interviewed Rob Madley who's one of the top UK players about his new Dark Eldar WWP list. It sounds great and if it works against the type of high level players he's playing against then it will work against anyone.

http://traffic.libsyn.com/the11thcom...sevenfinal.mp3
    Skip to 44:25 for the DE chat.
    Copy, Improve, Innovate

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x2)

It depends on the point level. At low points just run the haemy. At any rate never run it with anything that isn't a troops choice. Our elite options are way to valuable to risk/waste carting the portal. They have better things to do. The haemy by himself can hide completely behind the portal once it's up too. Then have him join one of the units coming out of the portal to give them the pain token.

My suggestion is to take two portals though. If you go second and one gets wasted, well, that's a long way to walk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    79 (x1)

It's for 1k points, and i was thinking either wracks in a venom, or as suggested in the link above, a 10 man harlequin squad deployed in a line with a WWP Heamy at each end. This would allow the portals to be set up 20" (12" deployment, 6" move, 2" from the model deploying) from my board edge and 10" apart (conga line) from each other.

I'm not sure on the feasability of 2 in 1k, though I would like too, it seems like a large point sink...
    Inquistion force WIP. Pics on posts 17 and 23.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

I agree that 490 is way too many points for a delivery mechanism at 1k. However, you could run a stripped down 5 man Harliequin squad.

Add the Haemonculai in and you have a 7 man squad. Remember coherency is 2 inches so you have a spacing of 12 inches (6x 2 inch spaces between the models) + ~7 inches (base size) which = ~19 inches between the portals. That's a tasty block in the middle of the board.

It'd cost 310 points if you keep the kisses on the Harlies. Nearly a third of your army before any real striking power is added. Still, it puts you practically to the centre of the board and is a great springboard for your assault elements.

For 1k I'd actually consider a single WWP. It's going to be hard to fully envelop a WWP at 1k points (if you take a bubble shaped portal like the limited edition GW one skimmers can't balance on top so they can't be used to block the portal like Rob was fearing).

edit: actually re-reading the rules, the Vendetta hull won't be within an inch of the WWP anyway, so just ignore that threat, it's a non-issue. The base only matters for assaults, contesting objectives and embarkation. A speeder or grav tank is more of a problem but with a curved portal you're safe from that too.

That cuts the delivery system down to 225 points which is totally affordable given the Harlies are hardly wasted.
    Last edited by Korona; May 16th, 2011 at 13:53.
    Copy, Improve, Innovate

+ Reply to Thread