Scourges vs Reavers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pirate Chaos Space Marine Mechatius's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    70 (x1)

Scourges vs Reavers

I'm currently looking into expanding my 500 pts DE force with some fast attack. The 500 point list is a succubus leading a squad of wyches in a raider, a warrior squad with blaster and cannon and finally a ravager with lances for AT.

What I consider is either a squad of 5 Scourges with 2 blasters or 6 Reavers with 2 blasters or heat lances. I intend to use them as mobile AT and general harassment. My thoughts so far:

Scourges:
    Cheaper
    Better armor save

Reavers:
    More wounds
    Higher toughness
    Blade vanes
    Turbo boost

What do you guys think?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    340 (x6)

Scourges look cooler and get haywire blasters which can stunlock nicely. Their shardcarbines are also pretty good against other targets. They seem like the cooler pick to me. Really though I think they can both fill the role you have in mind. I'd actually go for the one that you think looks the best.
    Copy, Improve, Innovate

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

74 (x2)

I like reavers. I hold 6 in reserve. Great for rolling over light infantry and/or contesting late game. 2 blasters destroy elite infantry or harm vehicles. And assault moves... shoot and hide. Win.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    286 (x5)

you would have to buy 2 boxes of Scourges for 2 of the same weapon (apart from the Shard Carbines! 5 of them in the box!). up to you though!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x6)

I usually take both but if I had to choose between my configurations for the squads:

5 Scourges - 2 heat lances
    6 Reavers - 2 heat lances

I would probably lean towards the scourges but there are other factors that influence that decision. For example, are you using a WWP? If so, then the bikes have more utility as they can bloodvane and acquire a 3+ cover or use the heat lances and at least have a 6" jump in the assault phase (and do not forget a small possibility of getting a pain token from drugs). Bikes off of a wwp can hit just about anything out there, however, starting the bikes on the table is tough - perhaps using blasters would increase their range.

Scourges on the other hand, can be declared to be deep striking and if there is a wwp you now get to choose which would help most. In a non-WWP list I have grown to like deep striking the scourges - a little suicidal but they have achieved to destroy their initial target 5 out of 6 times. The deepstriking is kind of a security blanket if the wwp isn't placed well or destroyed or blocked.

As for the list they would be in, the bikes have a better "duality" in changing roles between armor and infantry but the scourges are not terrible in that regard so the rest of the list has to be considered before making that choice.
    "On a hunch, I melted them down and inhaled the fumes and read the dark eldar codex again, AND FOUND A BUNCH OF NEW RULES HIDDEN BEHIND THE OTHER WORDS..." [Gardeth on modelling & interpreting the DE Codex]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x2)

I have been running 2 units of 5 with x2 splinter cannons each with great success. They stay behind my raiders for cover and can lay down a withering amount of anti-infantry fire.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

74 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Gardeth
    I have been running 2 units of 5 with x2 splinter cannons each with great success. They stay behind my raiders for cover and can lay down a withering amount of anti-infantry fire.
    This would be my use for scourges. I love trueborn sniper squads with lances or splinter cannons, but we have such a huge competition for elite slots that I can justify scourges carting them and hiding in cover the same way. A little pricy, but effective.

Pirate Chaos Space Marine Mechatius's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

70 (x1)

Thank you all for your answers. You've given me lots to think about. Perhaps I'll pick up both options and try them out. My conscern with the scourges are that at 1000pts, I don't think I'll be using a portal and I fear that being "mere" jump infantry I might have a hard time getting them into position if I start them on the board. I didn't consider the deep striking option though. Decisions, decisions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

On another note, which of the two units do you think would perform best in an assault? I'm liking the idea of having one of these units as a supporting attack unit, but which one do you think would work best?

Naturally, I don't want to throw them into CC as soon as I get the chance, but if the opportunity arises, I'd like to be able to capitalize on it.

I'm leaning towards reavers, as they have a higher T and drugs, but I think the Scourges are a bit nastier with their shooting, and could bring down the numbers of the charged unit a bit more before combat.

What are your thoughts?
    "I have seen you humans, trying to forge an Empire in the name of a corpse"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

74 (x2)

Neither of these units should ever try to assault anything. Ever. Low defense and high points cost make them... Bad.

That said, if you think it's unavoidable, whichever has a higher I value. And give them an agoniser. Agonisers kill marines.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast