WIP : Painting Dire Avengers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

WIP : Painting Dire Avengers

Hello! I have finally decided to stop playing an unpainted Eldar army! Hurray! I was blessed with a bit too much time on my hands recently as well, so all comes together for good.

Now since they are much differen color-wise from my inquisition armies, let me elaborate on the goal scheme. For default colors I plan to use grey with orange and sharp black separation lines, I think it will look good on amassed troops; each aspect will get their own color, but I want to use darker tones to make sure they dont jump out too much.

My first project, the workhorse of the Eldar infantry - Dire Avengers;

I really didnt like the GW's proposed black/yellow helm decoration, so I wanted to stick with light helmet (silver) and the "mohawks" should start as light blue and progress to armor color blue.

Gems/lenses - I wanted for something to stand out, and thought of a dark red, with some lighter highlights, I really hope that the contrast will add to the miniature and not distract from it.

Eyes - I am not too sure if they should be blue or red, I think blue will keep the helm together a little better.

Also I am not sure what to do with the towel they hang on their back, I sorta want to paint it white, but have no clue if it will do any good.

This is a rough painting so far, just trying to make sure that I like it, I would really appreciate your input and critique on this. (and maybe lively up the forum a little more since we dont get any more shiny toys from gw on a smurf-basis)

Avenger 1 test.jpg
    Overall pose view, sorta shows the progression of colour.
    Avenger 3 test.jpg
    Mohawk.
    Avenger 2 test.jpg
    Side view for the tabard and gems.

Thanks in advance for your input. Cheers!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRussian View Post
    Hello! I have finally decided to stop playing an unpainted Eldar army! Hurray! I was blessed with a bit too much time on my hands recently as well, so all comes together for good.

Now since they are much differen color-wise from my inquisition armies, let me elaborate on the goal scheme. For default colors I plan to use grey with orange and sharp black separation lines, I think it will look good on amassed troops; each aspect will get their own color, but I want to use darker tones to make sure they dont jump out too much.

My first project, the workhorse of the Eldar infantry - Dire Avengers;

I really didnt like the GW's proposed black/yellow helm decoration, so I wanted to stick with light helmet (silver) and the "mohawks" should start as light blue and progress to armor color blue.

Gems/lenses - I wanted for something to stand out, and thought of a dark red, with some lighter highlights, I really hope that the contrast will add to the miniature and not distract from it.

Eyes - I am not too sure if they should be blue or red, I think blue will keep the helm together a little better.

Also I am not sure what to do with the towel they hang on their back, I sorta want to paint it white, but have no clue if it will do any good.

This is a rough painting so far, just trying to make sure that I like it, I would really appreciate your input and critique on this. (and maybe lively up the forum a little more since we dont get any more shiny toys from gw on a smurf-basis)

Attachment 12634
    Overall pose view, sorta shows the progression of colour.
    Attachment 12635
    Mohawk.
    Attachment 12636
    Side view for the tabard and gems.

Thanks in advance for your input. Cheers!
    I think the silver is pretty sexy actually, not sure about the mohawks though, I feel they need a splash of colour somewhere but they do look pretty good as they are now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man! I just wish I could pint this good. Looks nice, and if you want more to paint let me know and I will buy some for you to paint for me =)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

Ok, thanks everyone for input,
    this is what I have now, I tried to make the model look a bit darker (and realized that I need a better lighting for the pictures)

I added a bit lighter colours to the mohawk, I am thinking of maybe making just a transition from white (near the helmet) to dark blue outwards, but it may be a bit too artsy for the look im going for.
    Should I keep it as is or maybe add white or super-light blue highlights to the model.
    Is the dirty towel in the back looks OK? I am not a fan of it but don't want to cut it off, they will look way too much like guardians without it.

Waiting for your comments.
    Cheers
    Attached Images

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x2)

Lookin' good man. Eldar minis demand to be well painted! If you take a wide variety of units and the army is fully painted, it looks very striking on the battlefield. I get a bit jealous of other people buying 4 pots of paint and then painting hteir whole army with them, when I can't even paint a squad up with 4 pots of paint, but the end result is totally worth it. Hell, it even extended into my guard army, where I've found myself using 9 different paint pots on freaking guardsmen. Eldar has ruined my ability to do a rush paintjob.

I've actually been meaning to post pics of my Eldar for a while now, I just need to figurre out how to make the pics do the minis justice. How have you been taking your pictures?
    The enemy's gate is down

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x1)

Thanks. I am really anticipating to have many aspect of their colour on the table, it should be something very spectacular.
    I have two lamps, that I cover with a sheet of paper so they are not projecting too much shadow; i think i need a third lamp and somehow allow more light onto the model.
    And I just have a white sheet background, I will make a picture of my construct tomorrow.
    The best army for 3 colour paint - black templars!

+ Reply to Thread