Is it just me that sees wyches as overpriced? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it just me that sees wyches as overpriced?

Ok, this isn't going to be a long post, I just want to know others thoughts on the matter, maybe it's that I'm missing something.

I feel that wyches seem to be overpriced, if I compare my kitted out kabalite squad that comes to 185 points (10 men, splinter racks, NS or FF, blaster, raider) to the differing wych squads,

1) fully kitted out uber wyches (9x wyches, wych weapon, heka + agoniser, haywires, heamy with liquified gun and venom blade, raider) that comes in at 273 points.. Wha???? I don't see this unit, as versatile and tough as it is, to be worth that much.

2) stripped FnP wyches (6/7 wyches, weapon, heka + agoniser, heamy, raider,) this squad is stripped down for efficiency, loosing a little bit of punch and the capability to hit tanks with grenades, but it comes out at 210 that's 63 points less than the above, I see this as one of the more playable versions, but I still look at what I'm getting for my points and wonder if it's really that effective, (in comparison my stripped down kabalite squad costs only 160 points, 50 less and though more vulnerable is much the same thing as it's more expensive counterpart)

3) standard full wyches (10x wyches, 2x weapon, heka + agoniser, hwg, raider) this one tops out at 230, which feels steep for the basic full squad of 6+ armour guys - I know the rules for 4++ in combat, I just find mine get shot to peices often

4) stripped down standard wyches (6-7 wyches, weapon, heka + agoniser, raider) this one comes out at 160/170 and seems to me to be the best value for your cash, but your still only getting 6 models and a raider..

I guess what I'm asking, is which of these set ups do you find most useful, and how does it compare to the rest of your army, what do you do with your wyches..

Another point I feel that goes against them is the fact that as combat troops they are not best positioned for objective games,

So, try and convince me why wyches are the new black, I do feel like I'm missing something

Will

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Will Falshaw View Post
    Ok, this isn't going to be a long post, I just want to know others thoughts on the matter, maybe it's that I'm missing something.

I feel that wyches seem to be overpriced, if I compare my kitted out kabalite squad that comes to 185 points (10 men, splinter racks, NS or FF, blaster, raider) to the differing wych squads,

1) fully kitted out uber wyches (9x wyches, wych weapon, heka + agoniser, haywires, heamy with liquified gun and venom blade, raider) that comes in at 273 points.. Wha???? I don't see this unit, as versatile and tough as it is, to be worth that much.

2) stripped FnP wyches (6/7 wyches, weapon, heka + agoniser, heamy, raider,) this squad is stripped down for efficiency, loosing a little bit of punch and the capability to hit tanks with grenades, but it comes out at 210 that's 63 points less than the above, I see this as one of the more playable versions, but I still look at what I'm getting for my points and wonder if it's really that effective, (in comparison my stripped down kabalite squad costs only 160 points, 50 less and though more vulnerable is much the same thing as it's more expensive counterpart)

3) standard full wyches (10x wyches, 2x weapon, heka + agoniser, hwg, raider) this one tops out at 230, which feels steep for the basic full squad of 6+ armour guys - I know the rules for 4++ in combat, I just find mine get shot to peices often

4) stripped down standard wyches (6-7 wyches, weapon, heka + agoniser, raider) this one comes out at 160/170 and seems to me to be the best value for your cash, but your still only getting 6 models and a raider..

I guess what I'm asking, is which of these set ups do you find most useful, and how does it compare to the rest of your army, what do you do with your wyches..

Another point I feel that goes against them is the fact that as combat troops they are not best positioned for objective games,

So, try and convince me why wyches are the new black, I do feel like I'm missing something

Will
    i find it's best to run without the heka and agonizer. So go with option 2 and i'll even add HWG if points allow.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x2)

8 wyches, shardnet and impaler, hekatrix, haywires, agoniser.

Against marines, it's a delivery system for the agoniser (yeah you'll get some lucky hits in but..) and the SandI cuts down on swings back. Against GEQ it's a complete CC beast. Against vehicles it has decent odds to do sone harm. Against walkers, still has a slim chance but it's not advisable.

Preferred use: transport to within 6 inches of the opponents troops. Disembark. Fire 8 splinter shots into the unit followed by 3 from the dissy on their raider (always run a dissy with wyches) then assault for 21 attacks and 4 agoniser attacks.

The real beauty of it is that they can engage anything with a chance of success. There is nothing in the 40k world that wyches can't harm.

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Wyches don't need to start with a haemonculus, you only do this if you are going the full distance with a wych cult (since they are your first, last and only battle formation) - at any other time they are best kept cheap and ran with 2 wych weapons of choice (i'm a fan of hydra gauntlets) and a hekatrix with agoniser or venom blade. I mention the venom blade even though the agoniser is the "defacto" weapon because until you hit 2+ saves and feel no pain the venom blade is more cost effective than an agoniser.

Plus - a fact that is heavily overlooked - wyches are only a medium level assault unit, comparable to assault marines. They simply aren't powerful enough to flatten things on their own inherently, but are durable enough to win combats by being more durable than T3 should be. Them being troops merely means you can get more of them, them being scoring is kinda meh outside of a wych cult.

If you just want to use wyches as an assault unit then go the ful distances and their Bloodbrydes - you'll get a proper umber of attacks and a magical 3 wych weapons at 9 strong, leaving plenty of space in a raider for an IC to tag along. A bloodbryde unit with 3 wych weapons and agoniser syren is 177 points before raider - an absolute steal.

----

I have noticed that a lot of what makes wyches good has been lost on newer players - older players take them as troops simply because thats hwere they should've been all along or they go for bloodbrydes, what old wyches should've been when occupying that elite slot.

A lot of people declare bloodbrydes crap for silly reasons but at the end of the day they are a self contained fairly heavy duty assault unit that will stop some very, very nasty assault units cold.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x2)

Double post.
    Last edited by Attemptedm; June 1st, 2011 at 02:23.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10 wyches, 2 shardnets, haywires, hekatrix, agoniser and raider 230 points and probably our best tar pit unit. storm shield termines, howling banshees, paladins, wraithlords basicly any nasty combat unit is stopped by sharnets and a 4++, especially fun against furioso dreads with blood talons.

As for the 6+ save against shooting, how many weapons are actually ap6? pretty much everything that'll ignore the wyches armour save will ignore the warrior's as well, unless u make a habbit of getting shot by lasguns out of cover

+ Reply to Thread