How to devour Orkz - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

How to devour Orkz

So my friend and I are going to have a 2k battle and I ask you for assistance! My friend usually plays nidz but we're switching it up and I'm going to play nidz and he'll play orks who we've never faced before. What are somethings to think about when making a list against the orkz?

Eternity Guard (SM) W-15/L-5/D-3
    Lizardmen w16/ L1/ d2 :On hiatus since new rules... =/

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

Theres two different types of ork build and theyre vastly different beasts. You build to combat one and the other will stomp you flat. So you really need to know is he playing mech orks or foot orks?

Things that work -

hormaguants with toxin sacs - faster than orks, with bucketload of effective attacks. Will be killed in return though if your not careful. Dont throw them against nobz squads.

Biovores - orks dislike S4 large blasts that ignore their armour.

Devourer guants - lots of S4 shooting, again, no fun for orks.

Venomthropes - difficult and dangerous terrain, slow them down AND kill them on the way in. Lovley.

Hive guard - the perfect counter to any kind of nobz. Ignores the armour, inflicts instant death, ignores Fnp which most nobz mobs have.... lots of fun. Also ork armour (barring battlewagons) is effectivly some tissues held together with ork snot and prayer, so hive guard will do a number on that.

No retreat - ork mobz are fearless a lot of the time, which can be turned to your advantage. If you win combat by a good margin, a lot of those orks will die. Use that against them, if you assault, go big or go home.

Things to watch out for -

Power klaws. Theyre EVERYWHERE. Nobz mobz are full of them, boyz nobs ALWAYS should be led by a PK nob, warbosses have them... its not fun. So be careful with your MC's. Go into a fight against a large squad and chances are you lose a lot of wounds in the process, and theres a good chance you might get killed!

Kustom Force Feilds - a 5+ cover save to infantry and a 4+ to tanks. Mech orks will ALWAYS have one of these. If they bring battlewagons, your in trouble. AV14 with a 4+ cover save is hard to crack open.

Nobz - a very nasty unit, chock full of power klaws, and can take bikes. Possibly their best asset is the wound allocation shenanigans you can play with them. Long story short, charging an MC against them is suidicidal. Shoot them to death if you can, dont assault if you can avoid it. If theyve got bikes, they get a 4+ cover, T5 and generably become horrible.

Anyway the main thing we need to know is wether the opponent will be taking foot or mech orks. Tactics are easier to establish from there.
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Heirodule View Post
    Anyway the main thing we need to know is wether the opponent will be taking foot or mech orks. Tactics are easier to establish from there.
    Well the problem is neither of us has ever faced orkz, so neither of us know much of there style. So my friend is in the same boat as me, thus I have absolutely no idea on which, if either, he'll take. But your info is very helpful, now I know for somethings to look out for, good and bad. I was also thinking of taking some venoms for the exact same reasons you gave.

Shire can't handle me Warlord Vrrmik's Avatar
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2085 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Heirodule View Post
    Theres two different types of ork build and theyre vastly different beasts. You build to combat one and the other will stomp you flat. So you really need to know is he playing mech orks or foot orks?

Things that work -

hormaguants with toxin sacs - faster than orks, with bucketload of effective attacks. Will be killed in return though if your not careful. Dont throw them against nobz squads.

Biovores - orks dislike S4 large blasts that ignore their armour.

Devourer guants - lots of S4 shooting, again, no fun for orks.

Venomthropes - difficult and dangerous terrain, slow them down AND kill them on the way in. Lovley.

Hive guard - the perfect counter to any kind of nobz. Ignores the armour, inflicts instant death, ignores Fnp which most nobz mobs have.... lots of fun. Also ork armour (barring battlewagons) is effectivly some tissues held together with ork snot and prayer, so hive guard will do a number on that.

No retreat - ork mobz are fearless a lot of the time, which can be turned to your advantage. If you win combat by a good margin, a lot of those orks will die. Use that against them, if you assault, go big or go home.

Things to watch out for -

Power klaws. Theyre EVERYWHERE. Nobz mobz are full of them, boyz nobs ALWAYS should be led by a PK nob, warbosses have them... its not fun. So be careful with your MC's. Go into a fight against a large squad and chances are you lose a lot of wounds in the process, and theres a good chance you might get killed!

Kustom Force Feilds - a 5+ cover save to infantry and a 4+ to tanks. Mech orks will ALWAYS have one of these. If they bring battlewagons, your in trouble. AV14 with a 4+ cover save is hard to crack open.

Nobz - a very nasty unit, chock full of power klaws, and can take bikes. Possibly their best asset is the wound allocation shenanigans you can play with them. Long story short, charging an MC against them is suidicidal. Shoot them to death if you can, dont assault if you can avoid it. If theyve got bikes, they get a 4+ cover, T5 and generably become horrible.

That's funny, cos I just had a game against Orks, and I took exactly those units and he took those, along with 9 Bonesword Warriors and a Swarmlord with 3 Tyrant Guard and other various goodies, I forced the opponent to concede by turn 3. Probably the best units you could field against Orks.

Once you can their wagons and trucks it's just a matter of not letting them get the charge and you have the game well within your grasp.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x1)

I play vs orks a lot, and my list never fails for 2k:

== HQ ==
    Tyranid Prime (1) - Deathspitter, Pair Of Boneswords, Regeneration = 105 pts.
    Tyranid Prime (1) - Deathspitter, Pair Of Boneswords, Regeneration = 105 pts.

== Elites ==
    Hive Guard Brood (3) = 150 pts.
    Hive Guard Brood (3) = 150 pts.

== Troops ==
    Termagant Brood (20) - Devourer = 200 pts.
    Tyranid Warrior Brood (145 pts.)
    Tyranid Warrior (3) - Deathspitter, Scything Talons = 105 pts.
    Tyranid Warrior (1) - Barbed Strangler, Scything Talons = 40 pts.
    Tyranid Warrior Brood (145 pts.)
    Tyranid Warrior (3) - Deathspitter, Scything Talons = 105 pts.
    Tyranid Warrior (1) - Barbed Strangler, Scything Talons = 40 pts.

== Heavy Support ==
    Trygon (1) - Instinctive Behaviour - Feed = 200 pts.
    Trygon (1) - Instinctive Behaviour - Feed = 200 pts.

== Total ==
    2000 pts.

too much firepower to handle, trygon pop to blow the wagons from behind. have fun Shoot'em'up. every model in your army can destroy the trukks! and you got 2 barbed to pie-plate them^^

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

So it's better to shoot with termagants than close in with hormagaunts against orkz?

Thanks for the help everyone. Rep all around.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Emysk View Post
    So it's better to shoot with termagants than close in with hormagaunts against orkz?
    Not nesecarily. Heres some maths for 20 devourer guants versus 20 toxin sac and adrenal gland guants. They'll be fighting a mob of 20 boyz, and both units cost 200 points

Devourers - 60 shots, 30 hits, 15 wounds, 13 dead.

Hormaguants - 60 attacks, 35 hits, 26 wounds. All dead (without toxins you kill 15)

Essentially provided you get the charge, hormaguants slaughter orks pretty badly. Devourer guants will kill a few, but wont take them all.
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Genestealers with toxin sacs backed by a FNP tervigon is also very effective against orks. Make sure to keep them in cover and watch out for shooty orks (shoota boys and lootas).
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

+ Reply to Thread