Tyranid Resin: How does it rate? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shire can't handle me Warlord Vrrmik's Avatar
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2085 (x8)

Tyranid Resin: How does it rate?

... that's the question.

Is it better than the metal? Do the positives outweigh the negatives?

The Warlord

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

My new Tyrant has been a joy. It glues in about the same time as plastic glue, was nice and easy to paint and doesnt explode when dropped.

2 small issues, the upper torso doesnt line up perfectly, leaving a bit of a gap. I had that problem with the metal model though too, so i think thats not really the fault of the plastic. The other issue was the tail, which was easily bent round in warm water.

In all, i love it. The price, whilst hideous, is pretty good. Im hoping i wont have to deal with the melting though.....
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought the Finecraft Hive Tyrant and it's been pretty great. I've had problems with the mold, but mostly just stuff that was there in the metal version too. So far this guy has been great to convert, I just wish they would have given him the twin-linked devourers his kit seriously needs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

I've had a bit more trouble with my hiveguard than the above two people. My problem though isn't so much the few bubbles, but its the fact that the resin isn't as tough as plastic or metal. This is rather a pain when you get the clippers and scalpel in to try and clean the bits out because instead of parts giving resistance they bend away. This is of course, not a problem for arms or more solid parts, but is a right pain for spikes, tongues and other far more delicate parts.

Overall I like the shift, but it does prove harder to clean than metal or plastic (which gives a more resistant base to work to).
    member of LO JCHAT
    Legion Of Jaffa Consuming Hatters and Terribly Superfluous

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have 1 hive guard and 1 zoanthrope that are practically without any bubbles and where very easy to glue and clean Just don't put a lot of pressure on it and scrape things off worked for me.

Shire can't handle me Warlord Vrrmik's Avatar
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2085 (x8)

So mixed opinions then. I see that people are not used to the delicacy of resin (referring to its strength) and now seems to be the major problem. I see that bubbles are starting to appear less often?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    36 (x1)

The bubbles issue might just have been the result of GW pushing production speed, at the cost of quality, to allow a big re-release of the model lines in one go. Suffice to say most are considering the quality control problems to be short term and something that can - with better QC testing and manufacture refinements to be corrected in the long term.

The rigidity of the material itself though is, to me, a greater concern; because it reflects a longer term change and a worrying one in my eyes for finer details and parts on our models.
    member of LO JCHAT
    Legion Of Jaffa Consuming Hatters and Terribly Superfluous

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Actually, GW's claims about model details are pretty accurate. They really are quite crisp and clean. I'm more concerned about the poor casting consistency, where significant portions of the model are missing. I won't be buying much Finecast (right now all I have is a Kaldo Draigo model) until I am forced to or the quality of the casting is more consistent.

I hear that heat can really ruin the models quickly and easily, though, so don't leave them in the car on a sunny day!
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

The Business policy of Games Workshop seems to be that they are going to give you products made from a cheaper material and then charge you more.

I am literaly watching my ability to continue with this hobby go down the drain. My only positive note is that, for the most part i have no other Models that I really need to play the game.
    Army's used: Space Wolves, Tomb Kings, High Elves, Tyranids, Tau and Eldar.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    50 (x1)

actually, the resin they are using isn't cheaper, its expensive, and there is no connection between the resin and the price increase as all the products get they're price raised.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast