What to do about Grotesques? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

What to do about Grotesques?

Ok, so I have a slight issue with grotesques as a newcomer to the Dark Eldar.

The new finecast models are a double whammy of being both ugly and far too pricey.

Anyways I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas for making grot's out of other models? I was thinking about maybe converting some out of tyranid warriors or something.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

A good base model are the rat ogres from the island of blood kit with a greenstuff mask. It is a simple conversion for pretty good results.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

My idea is to actually take models from my opponents and make something out of them. perhaps I kill off space marine librarian in a game, and so I buy a librarian, add loads of greenstuff to create a large grotesque out of it. That's what I'm planning on doing, but i still may have to base it off of something more. Perhaps chaos spawns might be a good place to start. Combine the chaos spawn, librarian and a large dose of green stuff, I'm sure it'll turn out interesting.
    "I have seen you humans, trying to forge an Empire in the name of a corpse"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x2)

I was thinking of doing something similar. I was considering wagering a model at the start of the game. Nothing crazy, just a basic marine or a gaunt or a wych. Painted of course. That way you can add them to your bases or whatever for trophies or use them as pain tokens.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

I've just finished a squad of four grotesques - two rat-ogres, one ogryn and one obliterator, with plenty of greenstuff and tyranid and chaos bitz.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

172 (x7)

Thanks for the tips everyone

I really like the look of rat ogres as grotesques, thanks for that The_Outsider.

Senior Member Power Hungry Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

146 (x2)

I've gone for the spawn as a base model personally. There are enough arms and spikes on the kits to make up some really nice stuff. If you're getting a Talos/Cronos the you can use the spare helmets for Grot masks (you get about 5 extra helmets in the Talos kit). There are also heaps of extra weapons and vials/injectors to add to the backs of the Grots and the spare tentacles off the Cronos can be caut down to make the external spines. Thers even holes on the spawn backs so its really easy to place vials and spines.

The hard part about the spawn bodies is that the legs are really bent up and the models are very hunched and low to the ground. I've had to cut and pin a lot with the legs and then I'll have to GS up all the gaps. For feet I've used the shoes off ogres but thats just coz I had them lying round from before. You can look at rat ogres, minotaures, or even keep the spawn feet if you like em.

Its sounds like a lot of work but trust me the end resault is good

PHM
    Hobby help? Ask on Themed Armies - Brain for Hire
    WIP Iron Wolves, grrr
    Ia Cthulhu fhtagn! Join the Cult

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Necrontyr View Post
    My idea is to actually take models from my opponents and make something out of them. perhaps I kill off space marine librarian in a game, and so I buy a librarian, add loads of greenstuff to create a large grotesque out of it. That's what I'm planning on doing, but i still may have to base it off of something more. Perhaps chaos spawns might be a good place to start. Combine the chaos spawn, librarian and a large dose of green stuff, I'm sure it'll turn out interesting.
    Okay now that's an awesome idea. I might have to steal it..........
    BATTLESHEEP

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    286 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Necrontyr View Post
    if you carry on this way, Rakarth won't have any more to experiment on! good luck with the idea though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by McFace View Post
    Okay now that's an awesome idea. I might have to steal it..........
    Feel free to use it! it's actually not my idea to begin with, though I can't seem to remember where I heard it in the first place. It's a great concept though, it really awakens your inner Haemonculus.
    I will most likely go with this, and I'll be sure to post some images of the finished models whenever I actually finish one
    "I have seen you humans, trying to forge an Empire in the name of a corpse"

+ Reply to Thread