Mandrake possibility? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    No Rest For the Righteous Ebon Hand's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x3)

Mandrake possibility?

I know Mandrakes are generally a hard to use unit, but I was looking at them and an idea popped into my head as an unothodox way to use them.

Suppose you put 10 Mandrakes in cover with a Haemonculus, automatically giving them baleblast. They can now put out a load of s4 ap4 shots on the move while staying in cover to give them a 3+ save.

You could even throw some Wracks or Grotesques in front of them to make sure they get the cover. Or you could pick them up with a Raider, then move up, unleash all that fire, and then follow it up with an assault.

Has anyone tried this yet? Perhaps it isn't the most efficient or competitive choice, but 3+ save with 4+ feel no pain and 20 s4 ap4 assault pinning shots seems like it might at least have some potential!

"Courage is not the absence of fear, it is the conquest of it." -Anon

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

The biggest drawback with this tactic is that you have to forgo one of the Mandrakes best abilities - infiltrate. Their infiltration is one of the biggest reason to field them IMO, and the fact that they don't start out with a paintoken, that they really need, is very crippling.

Though I suppose this tactic could work out. They can still advance towards the enemy in cover and keep shooting as they do it. I kind of like this idea actually. But the biggest question is, what else could you do with that elite slots and those 160-ish points?
    "I have seen you humans, trying to forge an Empire in the name of a corpse"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Necrontyr View Post
    The biggest drawback with this tactic is that you have to forgo one of the Mandrakes best abilities - infiltrate. Their infiltration is one of the biggest reason to field them IMO, and the fact that they don't start out with a paintoken, that they really need, is very crippling.

Though I suppose this tactic could work out. They can still advance towards the enemy in cover and keep shooting as they do it. I kind of like this idea actually. But the biggest question is, what else could you do with that elite slots and those 160-ish points?
    Yes. That is the question. I really love the Mandrake models. If they're painted well, they're just one of those awesome uints.
    However, 160-200 points can buy me quite the Trueborn squad. Is it worth it?

IMHO, no. I love me some Trueborn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputation
    29 (x2)

It really is a damn shame that the unit isn't a slight bit better. There are only two things that have kept me from buying them, poor rules and metal models. Now only the poor rules is keeping me from getting some. I'm really liking the idea of 10 or maybe even 2 units of 10 mandrakes ganging up on the enemy from one flank via infiltrate. They generate quite a bit of attacks if both units charge the same target, and their chances of killing something goes up a lot if you take them in those numbers. I'm sure it wouldn't work in a competitive environment, but luckily, I'm not in a competitive environment.
    I have to give these guys some serious consideration, 'cause I think I really like how they work. If only they were 2-3 points cheaper...
    "I have seen you humans, trying to forge an Empire in the name of a corpse"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

i usually just infiltrate a squad of 5 into some cover in the middile of the field to give my raiders a sort of toe hold before assaulting my opponents deployment zone. they soak up alot of fire power if they are in cover (i put 5 in a bunker giving them a 2+ cover save vs tau, i held that objective all game for 75 points)

Mandrakes are just not a killy unit, but they can still make their points back if played tactically and if used as support for your other units. I wouldint bother giving them the Haemonculus, there are just better ways of getting shooting into your army.
    "Thank him who puts me loath to this revenge on you who wrong me not for him who wrongd"

+ Reply to Thread