In Appreciation of Maugan Ra - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In Appreciation of Maugan Ra

Unlike Asurman, who appears far too righteous; Jain Zar, who's model is so awful it offends (almost) everyone's eyes; Fuegan, who seems to disappear in to the webway far too often when it comes to the crunch - he's never going to make his points back that way(!); Karandras, the champion of hide-and-seek (no-one's looking for you); or Baharroth, the charming, sophisticated, handsome, sporty type too concerned with image and pulling women; Maugan Ra is the undisputed Phoenix Lord of the Eldar.

Why you may ask? For a start, there's this:

I mean, he just looks the absolute tits. There's pretty much no arguing with that model.

As if you needed anymore persuasion, whilst the other Phoenix Lords were pissing about making fancy, beautiful, Eldarian weapons of grace and majesty, Maugan Ra took inspiration from the Middle Ages, fashioning a close combat power weapon that fires 4 Strength 6 shots 36" and still leaves scope for assaulting.

It is this last note that is what makes Big Maug so great. As the Dirty Harry of the Eldar world, he has so little respect for his own aspect, that he is prepared to move, shoot, and get stuck in with cleaving enemies faces from their heads in an assault, leaving everyday followers of the Dark Reapers aspect stranded in some ruins (or other generic cover) looking bemused, but naturally, in absolute awe.

Having led an entire craftworld to safety out of the Eye of Terror (probably passing Fuegan popping in and out for groceries, or whatever he's doing, on the way) Big Maug seeks no appreciation for his efforts. Instead, he leaves the newly rehabilitated Eldar of the Altansar to live in a constant state of despair - as the other Eldar view them with suspicion and caution - whilst he struts off to steal some hot women from Baharroth, who has wasted his time putting in all the ground work.

In addition to his stunning work inside the Eye of Terror, we shouldn't forget the downright demolition of Tyranids. I couldn't have put it better than this so:
    Quote Originally Posted by Inian View Post
    You forgot the part about him stopping a Tyranid invasion on his own, that's one bad spanking to give the Hive Mind. And he didn't even break a sweat!
    In short, Big Maug deserves appreciation. He is both elegant in war, and an absolute bastard. But that's what makes him great - and it's also why the ladies love him. Is he worth his points, no. But if you slam him down on the table looking the absolute bomb you will gain instant respect from all in the room. And that, guys and dolls, is the absolute fact.

Last edited by Jackolas; July 4th, 2011 at 12:58.

2. Likekavanna1985 liked this post.
  3. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hehe, firstly, great post, i very much enjoyed reading it. Your Fuegan comments made me giggle like a schoolgirl.

Your totally right as well, hes easily my favourite of the lords, i even think that he can make his points back if your careful. Hes a monster at shooting and decent in CC and can tackle infantry or vehicles to boot.

Plus the model is very sweet it has to be said.

Fuzzy

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    131 (x4)

Yep. Heard many say the same. Best phoneix lord model by far - although you're the only person I've come across that has a problem with "the storm of silence".....most peeps I know seem to rank it a close second.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

You forgot the part about him stopping a Tyranid invasion on his own, that's one bad spanking to give the Hive Mind. And he didn't even break a sweat!

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

131 (x4)

Sorry but how can you not like this.......

Hope I haven't blinded you or anything
    Last edited by Fantasticmrfox; June 23rd, 2011 at 14:48.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Fantasticmrfox View Post
    Sorry but how can you not like this.......
    That is an exceptionally well done model....but it still kind of gets an *blech* response from me. That hobbiests time would have been much better spent on a different sculpt.

Anyway, thinking about it, given how much love he's gotten in various fluff sources I'm surprised the devs didn't show Maugan some in the codex. I mean Yreil and Eldrad aren't bad. The concept of making a special character you'd actually want at a tourney isn't beyond them.

Maybe the problem is the shooty part? The dev community doesn't seem to mind making special characters CC monsters. They'll go ahead and give them an upgraded version of a good CC weapon, power weapon at a minimum, and then a massive pile of extra attacks beyond a regular trooper.

But can Fuegan get an assault 4 melta weapon or Maugan get something that doesn't allow armor saves when he shoots? Nooooooo.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

131 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by sunnyside View Post
    That hobbiests time would have been much better spent on a different sculpt.

LOL! The hobbiest won gold with that at golden demon UK a few years back. And it was none other than the slayer sword winning Werner Klocke.

Oops!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Inian View Post
    Couldn't have put it better, so consider the post amended :p

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Jackolas View Post
    Jain Zar, who's model is so awful it offends (almost) everyone's eyes
    Bark that back lest thee have no more eyes to get offended!
    My beloved Eldar force, I'll judge your roster core. I appreciate your concern, You're gonna think and learn. Rep me... rep me, my friend.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dire View Post
    Bark that back lest thee have no more eyes to get offended!
    Never! I stand by my statement. I just think it's not that good. It's better than Asurman, but that's about it, I think :s

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast