How to deal with fast, assaulty armies? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    You Can't Kill the Metal Stabby_McGee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    222 (x3)

How to deal with fast, assaulty armies?

I got phased out by 2 Dark Eldar players and a Blood Angels player (consecutively). I'm trying to keep my PO number as high as I can but against assaults where I keep getting swept it seems impossible to win. Does anybody have any tips for dealing with assault-heavy armies? (Other than "stay out of combat"?)

Necrons ~4500pts / Orks ~2000pts / Thousand Sons ~750pts

HOW TO LIGHT A MONOLITH

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

The tactic is pretty much keep warriors as FAR back as you can. Never move forward to rapid fire the warriors (you just enter assault range), use the monolith for a blocking device on one side, spam destroyers (hurt them before they can close the gap), and I use my Deceiver as a counter charge unit. Also as a last line of defense...if you're ABOUT to be assaulted and can't avoid it...line one ONE squad up front chained out as a line and FODDER, keep their bases close enough he can't assault through and get the other 2 squads. This has bought me a turn or 2 in the past too! By the way, don't expect to beat Blood angels or Dark eldar right now. Our codex is VERY weak, and those 2 codexes are new and very strong by design even with just a moderately competitive list.

My list looks something like this:
    Deceiver
    Lord (Destroyer body, res orb, phase shifter, warscythe)
    10 Warriors
    10 Warriors
    10 Warriors
    5 Destroyers
    5 Destroyers
    3 Wraiths
    5 Flayed ones
    Monolith

Essentially my warriors deploy back as far as possible taking max range shots only if they won't be assaulted anytime soon. When he deploys, use Deceiver to redeploy if necessary. I usually end up with my warriors walking as far back into a corner as possible which usually allows me to avoid CC until turn 3 if blazing fast, turn 4 if walkers like Orks. During the early phases of the game the Monolith moves forward with wraiths behind it, Dlord is between wraiths and warriors to help ensure res orb. Deceiver walks forward to get into range (I usually run instead of trying to pin units, but a consideration based on leadership). When stuff gets in range my Deceiver would hit it first, and likely my wraiths might join that fight too because they just add additional hits (unless he can't wound the Deceiver's T8 ). My counter charge design is Dlord+3 wraiths, and Deceiver if too many get close and I have to split assaults. Don't forget to escape assault in HIS turn 2d6 any way you want, gives the Deceiver great mobility! Don't forget to whittle him down the entire time with 30 S6 shots from the Destroyers each turn, you CAN pen transports (other than guard) AV10 open topped Dark eldar explode like paper, and AV11 Razorback/Rhinos die too. Slowing him down is very important...unless they have something so bad you REALLY have to focus on it (like a land raider with terminators inside, at least immobilize it!!!) Other than that, pray...
    Last edited by Dark Trainer; June 23rd, 2011 at 17:29.
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Destroyers, Destroyers, Destroyers IMO. I know in pretty much every thread you have seen Destroyers and how they are always brought up. Its because they are AMAZING vs those type of armies because you can always move 12" and shoot with their long range. Always start behind cover so when its your turn you get the first shots. I'm also a very big fan of Heavy Destroys over monoliths because they use the same tactic as hide then pop out and fire and they can be used as snipers to instant death HQ's with the double strength and to take out those big vehicles and finally they are Necron! which helps your over all number for phase out.. Necrons Strength is shooting and the mobility. Utilize it as best as you can until the final turns to get ready to capture objectives if you have that mission. Keep your weakest units which is the warriors in the rear as Dark Trainer suggests. Not many assault army's can keep up the the Destroyers.

I'm a HUGE fan of the Deceiver as well for counter charging, his amazing abilities and the Attention he grabs from your opponents to help control the game in your favor. Some will say they just ignore him but make it so they can't. I also always declare him at the beginning for redeployment over all the squads unless you really need to redeploy another squad.

Anyways just my 2 cents.

Oh and the List I run that has seemed to do very well vs these types of army's is.

Deceiver
    Lord + Orb + Veil

10 Warriors
    10 Warriors

5 Destroyers
    5 Destroyers
    5 Destroyers

2 Heavy Destroyers
    2 Heavy Destroyers
    2 Heavy Destroyers

You still have a good amount of Necron to help the phase out. The lord stays with the warriors INCASE something does make it to them and can teleport at least one squad away.
    Last edited by rich2003d; June 25th, 2011 at 00:50.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x1)

Wait for a new codex. No, seriously. Lists like BA and Wych Cults are the bane of our existence right now. The best strategy I've seen, and its a terrible one, is to use Monoliths to wall off your warriors in the corner and then let the Deceiver and your Destroyers run around attacking things. That's about the best you can hope for.
    House Crocotta - Imperial Guard 4000
    Tomb World Sheol - Necron 2000

Imperial Guard Tactics - The Art of Big Scary Distractions: Part 1 Part 2

You Can't Kill the Metal Stabby_McGee's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    222 (x3)

I like the idea of maxing out my destroyers, but I only have 8 regular and 2 heavy right now, and I'm hesitant to buy any more Necron models until the next codex comes out (just in case). I'm playing in a league right now at 1850pts for the next 3 weeks... I figure if I'm going to lose, I may as well have fun doing it--and aggravate some people in the process >.
    I'm thinking of fielding one of these two:

Lord w/ Orb
    Lord w/ Orb

10x Warriors
    10x Warriors
    10x Warriors
    10x Warriors

9x Scarabs w/ DF

Monolith
    Monolith
    Monolith

--------------------

Deceiver
    Lord w/ Orb

13x Warriors
    13x Warriors
    13x Warriors

Monolith
    Monolith
    Monolith

--------------------

Thoughts?
    Necrons ~4500pts / Orks ~2000pts / Thousand Sons ~750pts

HOW TO LIGHT A MONOLITH

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

Spam wise, destroyers are far more devastating than scaring someone with 3 monoliths. Just gives them all the more reason to ignore 3 un-beatable tanks. But yes, you could cower in the corner with the warriors behind them (untouchable), lol.
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

One thing I've done with great success against drop pod marines, which I'd imagine would work against DSing BA's would be holding your whole army in reserve and DSing in from your mono's with your troops (with a sacrificial ring of warriors, as mentioned by Dark T) and lots of destroyers flying in from the furthest side of the board. let them endure a couple turns of destroyer fire before they get to grips with you.

Taking the 2nd turn is also nice and fairly easy, as many seem to like going first all the time, as if it's always better. I prefer going second as necrons b/c of the reactionary deployment and the ability to DS all on one flank and amass where it hurts my enemy the most, or use my Mono's to cut off LOS from those damn long range firebases, should they have any. The enemy might also make a mistake and spread out too much in deployment and with your destroyers coming in from your edge and your army DSing somewhere else, they're going to have some decisions to make. Do they chase your destroyers around, or go for the mono's + warriors. A lord with a Night Veil is also good at repositioning a couple of your units far away after luring them to a far corner.

+ Reply to Thread