Minimizing 'Glory Hogs' with Tank Bustas. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Minimizing 'Glory Hogs' with Tank Bustas.

Hi All!

I have never used Tank Bustas yet in a Mechanized List, so I wanted to bounce a few ideas I had off of you veteran players. My thoughts are that it shouldnt be toooo hard to curb the drawbacks to the Glory Hogs special rule. I also have an idea about outfitting the TB Squad... feel free to jump in with your experiences and feedback!

For a 1500p game, I am thinking of 2x Trukks, 2xBW's, a KFF, and a Looted Wagon with a TB Squad. Of course there are lots of other components but that is the core.

In order to maximize the KFF cover save, the Looted wagon would sit on the Left Center or Right in a vehicle formation that would allow cover saves for all vehicles, and also ensure that the LW with TankBustas can shoot at a vehicle each turn.

My thought is : (BW) (LW) (BW) in almost a sandwhich formation. As my LW is a Rhino and my two BW are much larger custom built models, it should be easy to keep the LW in the middle and its LOS minimized to targets I dont want to engage. Its almost liking using blinders for a horse, in that you only point the LW at targets you want to engage.

This brings me to a question. Can a TB Squad choose to shoot any vehicle in the Shooting Phase which it can see? When I read the Gloty Hog entry it did not specifically say I had to shoot the closest vehicle. So if my opponent throws a red herring at me with a low value target vehicle, can I ignore it for another target that the TB's can see?

In terms of Squad, I was going to get have a squad of 8-10 TB's with: Nob with BP and Tank Hammer, then a TB with Tank Hammer, three Squigs. Isnt a Tank Hammer better then a PowerKlaw since its S10 and can Insta Kill most characters? I know that it doesnt ignore armour because its not a power weapon, but most characters have Invul saves anyways. Thoughts?

Well that is all I have, please post some ideas and what has worked for you! Cheers

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

If the TB's don't have los to a vehicle, they don't have to shoot at it. Most people find the TB's work much better as an assault group anyway (vs a shooty group). The Tank hammers are amazing. The shooting by comparison is meh. You can get rokkit's cheaper in other places.

The big issue with tank busters is if they encounter a situation where there is a troop in front of them, but a vehicle behind them (common thing is drop pods). They HAVE to shoot and HAVE to assault the drop pod. They can NOT do anything to the higher threat unit in front of them. If there is a tank 48 inches away with LOS to tank busters, and a group of long fangs 5 inches in front of them, they can't assault them.

Tank hammer doesn't ignore armor, PK does. That is where the tank hammer becomes less useful then a PK.

Only issue with the looted wagon is if you roll a 1 on the don't press that roll...the vehicle moves cruising speed, and the TB's can't shoot of it that turn (unless they disembark).

Considering how expensive the TB's are, I'd put them in a BW. If someone pops the looted wagon and it explodes, you are going to lose ALOT of expensive tank busters.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Greggles would you recommend Nob with BP and PK, as well as two Tank Hammer TB's? What size of grouping would you use fpr a 1500 point game? I was thinking of bolstering the group with a Warboss to make it a farely good CC/ Assault unit in a Battle Wagon.

Quote Originally Posted by greggles View Post
    If the TB's don't have los to a vehicle, they don't have to shoot at it. Most people find the TB's work much better as an assault group anyway (vs a shooty group). The Tank hammers are amazing. The shooting by comparison is meh. You can get rokkit's cheaper in other places.

The big issue with tank busters is if they encounter a situation where there is a troop in front of them, but a vehicle behind them (common thing is drop pods). They HAVE to shoot and HAVE to assault the drop pod. They can NOT do anything to the higher threat unit in front of them. If there is a tank 48 inches away with LOS to tank busters, and a group of long fangs 5 inches in front of them, they can't assault them.

Tank hammer doesn't ignore armor, PK does. That is where the tank hammer becomes less useful then a PK.

Only issue with the looted wagon is if you roll a 1 on the don't press that roll...the vehicle moves cruising speed, and the TB's can't shoot of it that turn (unless they disembark).

Considering how expensive the TB's are, I'd put them in a BW. If someone pops the looted wagon and it explodes, you are going to lose ALOT of expensive tank busters.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

I've only ever used them somewhat successfully vs nids. They've failed me in every other type of game, so I can't really speak much on their actual effective use.

+ Reply to Thread