Ideas and Conversions for a Cost-Effective Hive Fleet - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x1)

Ideas and Conversions for a Cost-Effective Hive Fleet

The new price increases and unit nerfing has made Tyranid armies even more costly. Having played Nids using the old codex I was appalled when Carnifixes and Tyranid warriors were nerfed. I've had a fun time playing Tyranids in fourth ed. but I still just haven't had the time to reconfigure and create a competitive Tyranid army. With my Space Marine Project on the cusp of completion I've started patching up my Tyranids and modelling them to fit their new roles in my army.

I was hoping that this thread could be used by fellow Tyranid players to get ideas of how to save some biomass and rare earth metals and as well share their conversions.

Here are some of my cost effective conversions...

Tervigons
    also known as the female carnifix to me...

Doesn't look that pretty but it works, to note the extra carapace was already on their, I counted it as Hardened Carapace for that sweet 2+ armour save in 4th (those were the days). That egg sack is actually not made out of green stuff which is really expensve. It is actually made up of some old Sculpy lying around the house. The Sculpy is not baked but what I do is a cover it with a mixture of water and PVA glue to seal it to the model so it wont crumble or fall off as easily. This should not be a problem anyway because no one should be poking the Tervigon's belly when there is four talons in front of it.

Here is the finished product primed with watered down with chaos black (works just as well as primer for tabletop quality models).

What to do with those Tyranid Warriors?

I really see no place for my old Tyranid Warriors in my new army list except for a prime or two. However I've come up with a few ideas and conversions to save some money

Broodlord

WYSIWYG... I think I see a Broodlord. Its a really easy conversion and you can save a whole bunch of money using this conversion instead of buying the metal one.

Hive Guard

I'm in the process of turning all three of my tyrant guard into hive guard using some deathspitters, spiky bits and greenstuff. I did suck up and actually buy a real one but I made two using tyranid warrior bits, greenstuff and leftover carapace from my trygon.

I'm not going to win a modelling contest for this conversion but I'm sure going to save some money. Once I paint it I'll show you the completed model. For the arms I'm going to use warrior rending claws and venom and barbed stranglers slightly converted with spiky bits. I'll post the final product once I get around to painting these suckers.

Tyrant guard

Well I used all my tyrant guard for hive guard... who is going to protect my hive tyrant?

This guy, again with a little luck, patience, imagination, spare bits green stuff and cheap Sculpy as filler. I'm going to have surprising a pretty good tyrant guard to defend HT. Again Ill post the finishing pics once its done and based.

For now I hope these ideas help you all save some money. Please feel free to leave comments and add to this thread! The more tricks we share the more money and bio mass we can save!!! :p

To sign off I leave you with pics of my horrendouly modelled Tyranid Prime and a Bonesword

Reese's Space Marine and Tyranid WIP Thread: Warp Masters and Friends

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x1)

First Batch Finished

First batch is complete. Its amazing how much of a difference a little paint does

Tervigon 1

Tervigon 2

Tyrannofex

Broodlord

Even if the tervigon and the tyrannofex model is released, there is no way I'm buying them. I've already used enough bio mass and putty to convert my carnifixes Onto the warrior turned hive guard now!
    Reese's Space Marine and Tyranid WIP Thread: Warp Masters and Friends

+ Reply to Thread