Librarium Online Forums banner

Units of the Week: Old One Eye, Parasite of Mortrex, Deathleaper, Doom of Malan'tai

2K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Heirodule 
#1 ·
This week's units are all the unique ones!

This can include the Swarmlord if you wish, but I believe people covered that in my previous thread.

Do you include them? What do you use them for? Are they worth it? Those are the kinds of questions you need to be answering.

Post away.

The Warlord
:terror:

#2 ·
Ive converted a Deathleaper and I really want too use him in all my games from now on, to help lowering LD on all those annoying space wolf rune priest that I encounter >_< gerrr, and to chop up all those heavy weapon troopers hiding in cover (longfangs).
I think the Deathleaper would help us immensely all round, great abilities there, worth the points.

Old one Eye not worth it at all. tho I have the model all nicely painted up, never in a million years would I take him, unless I wanted to lose purposely.

Dont know much about the Parasite, I guess it would fit in nicely as a stronger flying warrior and join a brood of them, but I don't have any at the moment.

Ive been told and shown what the Doom of Malan'tai can do if given a spore, and MY GOD that's an OP unit totally worth its points, I want to convert one and use it in my games but I feel that its just plain too harsh on my opponent, maybe vs the wolves id use it, but friendly games id leave it at home.

#3 ·
I use the Swarmlord regularly (perhaps every third or fourth game) and he has done me wonders. Just look at his stat line and abilities - nothing more needs to be said.

I don't really use Old One Eye, mainly because of what people have said about him. I would like to try it some day.

Now the Doom of Malan'tai. It just, well, the best way to describe it is a 12" Aura of Death. It just kills everything. Full stop. Don't use this unit if you want friends though - only in tournaments and other competitive games.I mean seriously it is way overpowered especially seeing as it is 90 points. Put it in a Spore and bam in the middle of the battlefield he's sucking life out of everyone.

@ AJ Tyrant regarding the Parasite, it isn't an independent character so it can't join units. Plus it mainly revolves around Rippers, and the abilities sound nice but Rippers are just... wastes of biomass.

I have't used Deathleaper. I'd like to give him a go as well.

#4 ·
Yes I have converted a lovely Swarmlord too :D and I use him almost every game, Totally worth the points If you look at its abilities closely.
Swarm leader: basically if you know your Hormagaunts or whatever Tyranid you are using are going to benefit and use the furious charge, (or that lovely Preferred enemy rule) why not save points on not buying the biomorph, and instead pick and choose who needs it and when with this awesome power, for every time you put this ability out there, you are saving 40+ points depending on the size of your broods :D

The swarm lord is focused, its all melee. none of this "should I shoot my range weapons or run" nonsense, Its got all the important stats high enough to make it a pain, Its got a High enough ws meaning Ws 4 enemies hit on 5+ now. Its Initiative beats the other common Hq Initiative of 5, another wound over the normal Tyrant, its got a very nice Inv save in cc AND Instant Death + re-roll your successful inv save thank you very much, .
Give it two Tyrant guard and your set.
The ability to use two psychic powers a turn, add +1 to reserve and allow a re-roll for flanker and having a 18 inch Synapse rage the party dosn't stop
When the average normal Tyrant it around 240 points, I cant see its points cost (Swarlord) its been given in the codex a problem.

#7 ·
Doom is hit or miss. But his point costs are so low, there is no reason not to take him.

I've seen him blown up immediately after podding in...but last game I played him, he lasted 5 rounds...he was responsible for wiping out almost 1000 points of enemy units.

He single handedly killed...
15 loota's
12 daemon flamers
20 ork boyz.

The only thing that threatened him was the nob PK...and I kept making his saves. He was amazing.

Death leaper on the otherhand? His reduce LD skill is awesome...but his lack of multiple ranged attacks makes him rather pointless.

He drops in, he gets to shoot twice, then all holy hell unleashes on him and kills him.

#8 ·
The only unit I've tried using on this list is DOOM, and as people have commented, it's often hit-or-miss. If he drops in on Turn 2 before I've really blown up enemy transports, he is useless. Also since I play a lot of marines with 10 Leadership, it's a 50/50 chance that he will even hurt them.

That being said, when he does his job, it's simply amazing. In a recent game used him to wipe out a 10-man assault squad, Wreck a Razorback, then destroy a Walker after making his Invuln saves, all in a 1k point game. When he works, he's the MVP.

I've seen people run the Swarm Lord, but it's too slow to be useful. People either avoid it completely (not hard to do when it can't fly), or find a way to tarpit it. If he had wings, I would absolutely use him. But without, he's not worth the point. It's possible that he's more valuable in a larger game where there is less room to run away... but I've seen one do near nothing in 2k points. (similar problem with giant Eldar units, though I forget the name).

#10 ·
I've only used the doom. My results have not usually been great. As soon as he hits the field every squad with S8 weapons is taking shots at him. all he has to do is fail 1 invuln save. And he's not even a synapse creature.

Yes he can cause pure havoc when he works, but for me it's been about 1 in 3 games that he even makes 130 points back (him plus spore.)

Now in 500 point games... Ha.

#11 ·
I'm debating a 'Leaper/Shadows list to teach those GK players out there some manners. I know it's list tailoring, but he also tailored so I couldn't use my armies (grumble, grumble), giving a psyker potentially -3 Leadership and combining it with a 3D6 psychic test, whether from a Bonesword or Synapse Creature.

As for the Doom, he's often not going to earn his points back...and often not going to survive long out of his spore unless you can roll an inordinant amount of 3s, however he can cause that moment of panic that the rest of your army needs to break through what would otherwise suppress them.

#12 ·
i dont get why no one likes old one eye. he is beter than a regular fex. if you gave a fex the same wargear (including basic regeneration) they are only 50 points less and for those extra 50 points you are getting

+1 strength
+1 leadership
all friendlies within 12" benefit from his leadership
regenerates on a 5+ instead of a 6+
all succesfull rolls to hit generate bonus attacks

please explain why he is never used!

#13 ·
i dont get why no one likes old one eye. he is beter than a regular fex.
Which isnt saying much in the slightest. Regular fex's may aswell be made of fail and derp under the new rules, if its not a dakkafex in a spore or devourer + long range gun its not really worth taking.

The main point that makes OOE so massivly unusable is how slow and actually vulnerable he is! How many good armies do you actually know these days that cant knock out 4 T6 wounds in a single phase? Not many. Guard, DE, BA, GK, SW and even codex marines all have really easy ways to despose of him very quickly (Massed long range S8+ Ap2 fire for the first 3, force weapons in the GK and Long fangs in the SW) and even the older books can cause him problems.

Then we come to how effective he actually is. WS 3 sucks. Big time. And crushing claws means you go at I1 which doesnt help matters. If you actually check how effective he is, the results are pretty conclusive.

Lets say he fights some marines. If we assume he gets 3 extra attacks and charges, he gets 8 attacks. 4 of these will hit, so you get 4 bonus attacks. Of those you get another 2 hits, for a total of 6. So in all fairness thats most likley 6 kills, almost certainly 5. Impressive.

Except that theres another Heavy Support choice that costs less, is MORE survivable, hits and kills more, is less vulnerable to melee in return, actually comes with a gun, kills tanks better, is faster, more versatile due to being able to enter the battlefeild in a variety of ways and can even be synaptic (so theres no need for that leadership bonus. We're in an army thats fearless 99% of the time anyway!) The trygon.

Trygons outperform old one eye in exactly the same way they outperform fex's. Sadly they make him totally obsolete and thats why nobody takes him. For his cost, you get something so much better and change to boot.

#14 ·
Suppose, but its more a matter of how you use him. for example if you stick him out in the open, he will die. now add a trygon into the mix aswell as a hive tyrant and they will most likely focus fire on them, meaning that OEE can charge them, unhindered...now im not saying this would always work but its what i intend to do...maybe not put him in the open but you get the idea

#16 · (Edited)
Come on guys i dont want to rain on your parade but the Nid specials just like the codex are a Joke , if you compare them to another codex, second if you ad them to your list your lose some of your anti tank shooting.

Doom the only solid choice , he is a bit of a gamble with that T4 but the only special that's really worth his points. Upside your opponent has to react to him can't ignore him.
but the FAQ's nerved him a bit. yes you do get a cover safe if your hiding from him.

Next up swarmlord is a joke , yes he is deadly in hand to hand but try getting him there ! he strolls 6 +d6 across the battle field shouting look at me.
lascannons , battle cannons missle lancers they all hurt ...save? what save he has the wurst save in the game a 4+ in hand to hand combat great.

death-leaper, well we nerved the lictor lets make a defect lictor character. he has to roll a leadership-test every turn if he fails he cant do any thing. lets give him a T4 and a 5+ safe so you know
if he gets shot he is dead. yes your enemy get -3 LD great. could be a nice combo with doom but 2 specials in 1 army really makes your army defective.
there is 1 game you should always take this character and that is in a city fight of a jungle table with loads of terrain than this one really makes up for the points difference with a normal lictor.
Bah where is the nid heroic intervention (deepstrike + assault) ?

the parasite of mortex the expensive alpha warrior with wings , ripper bases are cool but are also a drag never multi assault your enemy will do all his attack's on the rippers leaving you with the combat result save's...
he has a nice rule about out flankers but is not even worth mentioning

old cold one for got about him he is a real nice fex, but just like lictors who uses them any more? k k in a fun game but not if your trying to play competitive.
plaed a game with 5 of them it was fun totaly lost ofcource because your to slow with fexes and the saves suc where is the 2+ save for the fexes?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.