Whats the best "take-on-all" commander load out? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whats the best "take-on-all" commander load out?

Putting together a new commander just wanted opinions on what people think is the best load out for a commander suit?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    421 (x8)

It depends what you want to do with him really, the best loadout is probably missile pod, plasma rifle and hard-wired multi tracker and just stick with the shas'el, the shas 'o' isn't really worth it.
    One shall stand, and one shall fall.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

really depends on what commander you are taking (assuming shas'el), and what you have in crisis suits teams already. the commander should compliment the loadout of the squad he is joining so he is at his most effective. though my personal opinion on the best all comer is plasma rifle + missle pod and a TA and a HW multi tracker. this loadout can be good against MCs, light vehicles such as Rhinos and razorbacks, elite infantry (terminator equiv.), able to stay in squad but split fire from rest of squad, and a good BS. If you have the points, 2 shield drones don't go wrong, able to move between squads to give invul and extra armour saves to your suit squads.
    My Dice keep me in check

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

uh.....magnetize. EVERYTHING! You'll want to change things around as you go along for fun if for nothing else. Spend $8 get magnets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

.....or yeah magnetise, that way you can try all the combinations without being stuck with just one.
    My Dice keep me in check

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    298 (x8)

~shrug~ If they weren't mandatory, I wouldn't take one...they cost extra points over an elite crisis suit...and you don't really get much for the points (not much that's worth the cost, anyway). In an army where points-efficiency is paramount, that's bad. So I actually take the commander in lieu of the team leader on one of my elite crisis teams...I suppose I could take him as a "fourth" crisis suit for that team, but points are just so tight...anyway, as others have said, equip him as generically as possible. You don't want any of the expensive sexy upgrades.

Personally, my teams have one helios suit, one fireknife suit, and a leader with MP+PR+FB+HWMT...and one team substitutes an 'el for the leader, so I have nine, not ten, suits.
    IG since 1999 __ DA since 2002 __ Tau since 2005 __ SoB since 2007
    Brets 1997-1999 __ TK since 2009 __ Empire since 2010

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A somewhat... unorthodox standard team there, marnepup, at least by my standards. I usually have him as a burning eye (TL plasma rifles and a targeting array) or Fireknife commander (missile pod, plasma rifle, targeting array, HW Multi tracker), but that's just me. Sometimes (since I magnetised) I give him TL fusions and a missile pod with a HW Multi tracker, or a single fusion and missile pod with a targeting array and a HW Multi tracker. Good when they have a lot of mid strength armour on the field, like deathwing vindicator spam (boy do AP2 mess those guys up)
    "Victory is sweet, blood is sweeter." - Aun'Vre

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

I usually run the same basic commander, Fireknife Shas'El with Plasma, MP, multi and targeting array. For 97pts it is reasonably cheap, offers accurate ranged fire with the MP and hits hard at close range with four shots (2 at STR7 and 2 at STR6 with AP2). I always take two because BS5 is at a premium in Tau lists and any Markerlights are better utilised elsewhere. Shas'O's are purely and simply a waste of points (especially with the game evolving as it is now). Don't like Fusions (used to swear by them) because purely and simply true line of sight makes it much to hard to hide the XV8 and the close range nature of the fusion means you will usually lose the XV8 next turn. I live by one rule with Tau, hit fast and accurately and the El's I use allow me to do that at decent cost which allows me to spend points elsewhere to achieve that rule with other units. Shas'O's or commanders with 3 weapons systems, fancy wargear just means you are taking points from elsewhere in the list that could utilise them better.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually run the same, but never 2. BS5 is a premium, but I run 2 full pathfinder squads at 2K. Go figure.
    "Victory is sweet, blood is sweeter." - Aun'Vre

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My current plan is to take a tooled up Shas'O, with a Multi-Tracker, Missile Pod and a Burst Cannon. Not very efficient points wise, but it's all for fluff- he'll be represented by a badass Kroot Shaper riding a Knarloc using looted imperial weapons. Firing five shots and tearing up small infantry units in combat, oh yeaaaahhhh.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast