Which is better, Veno or Raider? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which is better, Venom or Raider?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Venom

9 42.86%
  • Raider

12 57.14%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    286 (x5)

Which is better, Veno or Raider?

just out of curiosity, is the Venom a better transport, or is the Raider?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x2)

It's a fine line. Point for point I think you get more out of a venom. I'm going to assume that most people will buy the splinter cannon upgrade.

So 12 splinter shots, comes standard with flickerfield. It's easier to hide behind things.

If I had to pick based on the vehicles it would win.

But the raider can transport ten. 9 wyches and a haemy.

When I consider it from that perspective, I can still play my army competitively with no venoms at all. But it would fall apart without raiders.

I voted raider.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To me this seems like an apples and oranges question. The Venom and Raider both have different functions outside of being just a transport. As for which one is better it really depends on the needs and build of your army. The Raider gives you an extra anti-tank shot while getting your large squads to where they need to be while the Venom gives you several anti-infantry shots while getting small squads to where they need to be. In my opinion a well balanced and sized army should have both in their force.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

So I think the big difference is what they transport. If your transporting units that you want more than 5 dudes (typically troops) then you want a raider. Additionally I like the raider for transporting grotesques as 4 grots is just something nasty to go against. Plus DE need all the transport popping they can get in order to kill rhinos, chimeras, and transports that you see in so many competitive lists.

As far as the venom I think it's the perfect elite transport. Put in 5 incubi or put in trueborn and you have something with a smaller profile that you can hide behind cover. Then do what you need to do. I have also contemplated taking 6 venoms (w SC upgrade) with 5 warriors inside (1 w blaster). For relatively cheap you really get a considerable amount of shots that can fire 36 inches while providing high mobility. Sadly I do not own 6 venoms so I wonder how it would play out.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    286 (x5)

so people are saying that the Venom is for Elites and anyother unit should be in a raider?

makes` sense i suppose. thanks for the help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by Attemptedm View Post
    It's a fine line. Point for point I think you get more out of a venom. I'm going to assume that most people will buy the splinter cannon upgrade.

So 12 splinter shots, comes standard with flickerfield. It's easier to hide behind things.

If I had to pick based on the vehicles it would win.

But the raider can transport ten. 9 wyches and a haemy.

When I consider it from that perspective, I can still play my army competitively with no venoms at all. But it would fall apart without raiders.

I voted raider.
    I couldn't agree more. Well said.
    ------------------------------------
    Innovation suffuses this hobby like a tea bag in the boiling water of play.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    172 (x7)

I agree with omegabob. The two transports are mutually exclusive and serve different roles in both what they do and what they (usually) transport. It would be like comparing wyches to warriors, yes they are both troops and some players prefer one over the other, but in the end its complicated to compare two things that perform fundamentally different roles (outside of both of them being transports obviously).

My list has more raiders than venoms, and has been quite effective, but there are also venom spam lists that are very competitive as well.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

286 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by The Humanoid Typhoon View Post
    I agree with omegabob. The two transports are mutually exclusive and serve different roles in both what they do and what they (usually) transport. It would be like comparing wyches to warriors, yes they are both troops and some players prefer one over the other, but in the end its complicated to compare two things that perform fundamentally different roles (outside of both of them being transports obviously).

My list has more raiders than venoms, and has been quite effective, but there are also venom spam lists that are very competitive as well.
    thanks for that! :-P wondering, if i took 0 Raiders, and had DL's in Warrior Squads... could my army survive with Venoms flying about?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by goldenS View Post
    thanks for that! :-P wondering, if i took 0 Raiders, and had DL's in Warrior Squads... could my army survive with Venoms flying about?
    My only reservation about that is that the Dark Lance has the heavy profile and if being fired by a Warrior would require the whole squad (and any vehicle they are in) to remain stationary for the turn it is being fired. In my opinion, stationary is not a good thing for the Dark Eldar. Even if you put the Warrior squad in cover, most armies have something that ignores cover and it won't take them too long to get that in range to take out the Dark Lance.
    What you could do instead is put 5 Warriors with a Blaster on a Venom. The Blaster has the assault profile (if I remember correctly...don't have my codex handy at the moment) and the same strength and AP as the Dark Lance...as well as the Lance ability. The Blaster does have half the range of the Dark Lance but if you are on the move that shouldn't be too much of an issue. If you move the Venom over 6 inches the squad will have to jump out to be able to shoot (which makes no sense to me but that is the way the rules are written). Another option you could do to use the Venom is put 4 Trueborn in it with 4 Blasters. With all your Venoms I would recommend getting the second Splinter Cannon, Since the vehicle is relentless and the Splinter Cannons are defensive weapons the Venom can move 12 inches and still fire both Splinter Cannons in heavy mode while the squad inside hops out to shoot at something else. Or the squad with the blaster(s) shoots and pops a transport then the Venom poisons up the now exposed enemy passengers.
    Just some food for thought.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by goldenS

I think it can be done. The only problem is that you can only take a lance with 10 warriors. So they are not going in the venom. So you are playing a footslogging list with our least survivable codex choice. And you have venoms flying about.

Granted, you could probably do it but I wouldn't put lances on warriors. 3 ravagers and 2 trueborn blaster squads at 1500 points would be enough darklight weaponry.

The problem is troops. Walking gets DE slaughtered. And 5-man squads aren't enough to do much if they are all you have. One or two in support of other full squads aren't bad, and a single large squad of warriors to hold a rear objective is also not bad.

I don't think it would work well, but post a list and then I'll comment further.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast