Dark Eldar Choices - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have played dark eldar before but never with anything more than the basic selection of 1 HQ choice, and 2 Troop choices. I know that it is slightly more difficult to play correctly, but I think that I would like to play them (except for the lack of fluff :hmm: ).

If I start playing them seriously, I want to base my army on hit and run tactics (one of my favorites). If I want to make an army based on these tactics, what should I start with and eventually work my way up to. I won't have alot of money to spend in the beggining but I already have a lord, if that helps any...

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x5)

Well basicly the entire amry is built for hit and run.I'd say you're pretty much good with anything.the only thing I'd suggest yuou stay away from are homonculus (or hemonculie..what's the plural for that word?) and stuff like that.My brother fields a wych kult army and they're rediculously fast.Lots of wyches,jet bikes,beast packs,stuff like that would be really good from what I've seen.

And whats' the deal with everyone saying the DE lack fluff? They have tons of it! They have just as much as the regular Eldar...maybe even more considering they're far more active and don;t just idly float around in craft worlds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate to say it but if you want hit and run then you got to get raiders ((they transport troops))
    Dark Eldar: The Kabal Of the Black Heart: Bloody Claw division.
    Black Legion: Division 666
    Vampire Counts Von Castein Bloodline: w/l/t
    4/0/1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

alright dude I have a solution for ya. THe best hth retinue in the game. GEt 4-8 incubi with a pumped up lord on a raider. Make sure you get that. Then, buy some jetbikes.. you can run the raider with bikes and it'll be hell against your opponent. TRust me.
    Incubis are amazing for points and with a lord its deadly.

incubi
    "There is no middle ground. Strike Hard, strike fast and strike first."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by The Incubi@Oct 16 2004, 14:22
    alright dude I have a solution for ya. THe best hth retinue in the game. GEt 4-8 incubi with a pumped up lord on a raider. Make sure you get that. Then, buy some jetbikes.. you can run the raider with bikes and it'll be hell against your opponent. TRust me.
    Incubis are amazing for points and with a lord its deadly.

incubi
    [snapback]230993[/snapback]

8 incubi? in my opinion, definately not. 25 points each and they die easier than your average marine? must be joking. Yea in close combat they own, but there only really worth it against armoured opponents. Take a lord, and 4 incubi at maximum in my opinion, then mount them on a raider. Send them into any marines and watch them slice through power armour like butter
    -Gibb
    Legendary Dark Eldar Site

"To play the blues, all you need is barbwire strung to a wooden pulp, an aching heart, and a babe who done left you"

Win/Loss- Who Cares?

"The only thing thats good to lose is your virginity"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An Archon/Drachon + 5 Incubi is just about the magic retinue. A full 6 - 9 Incubi will shred through any power armored unit, which is a bad thing incidentally. A Drachon + 5 Incubi will cripple a normal Tac squad and allow you to stay in assault with them until you finish them off in their assault phase, therby protecting your retinue from shooting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just some advice, that is based on my opinions, heres some units i would definaltey try to take, and those to avoid.

Take:

A talos,

Reason? For a start, it will draw alot of firepower and scare most players no matter who they are. As it draws firepower your other units survival chance goes up and up, and if/when it gets into combat, it has nice armour penetration and a maximum of 6 attaks ( 7 if charge)

Ravager,

I personaly dont own one of these, mainly as i was terrified of its crappy armour ratings, but it can pack half a punch, owns marines, and has some upgrades to help it live, so from what i hear, go for it.

Lord

Im sure you have heard nice things about what these fellas can take down, chuck him the usual lovely wargear, a FEW incubi, a raider, and watch the show!

Warrior Squads,

For 8 points each these guys are a steal, chuck on darklances at a mere 10 extra points each, then go tank busting!

Wyches,

Chuck these near naked women in a raider, send them against almost anything of the same (ish) points value and they will take them down.

Reavers,

Fast, annoying, nuisance, and dangerous- an enemy description of reavers. I have 10 of these in my army and they have rarely let me down.

Right, And some units/ things to avoid.

Warp Beasts

Reason? Send them against your average marine squad, watch them kill like one, maybe 2, then lose almost their entire unit, flee, and be destroyed. Utter crap in my view. Considering they themselves are an elites choice for us, yet chaos hounds are better and mere wargear! bah.

Too many Incubi

Yes they are awesome, but they die quicker than a marine and cost 25 points each, if they dont get into combat they suck aswel, and although this applies to many above^ remember the price of these fellas.

Mandrakes

To be honest these should be in both lists in a way, They can be useful, use there mandrake set up, and get them into combat with a nasty devastor unit to hold them up a few rounds so ure raiders can live OR, you could view them like so many do, and call them a guardsman with an extra attack and fancy cover save

Right well theres an insight on some of my views and opinions, im sure some of them will be slated by other members but nvm

-Gibb
    Legendary Dark Eldar Site

"To play the blues, all you need is barbwire strung to a wooden pulp, an aching heart, and a babe who done left you"

Win/Loss- Who Cares?

"The only thing thats good to lose is your virginity"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yea I realize that incubi die quickly, as they are a prime target, thats why I said 4-8... depends on what he wants. 4 if you want a cheaper, 8 if you are hq heavy, not always great, but you gotta get those badboys in hth before they die.

Reavers. GET them. I just played a game and reavers ended up being a big concern for your opponent. They seem like such destructive things, people target it and we got our invulnerable save off a boost. IT works like a talos in a way to draw firepower.

ravager. MUst get. Yes, crappy armour, but it can blow a whole squad of marines to bits before they strike back. If you give it dark lances it hunts tanks like madness, and with disintegrators it can wipe out any troop or elite squad with EASE. The key is to strike before they do, cuz a ravager can wipe anything. Get one, these are awesome

dark eldar have some awesome skimmers.

incubi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for a 1000pts games, i think incubi is a waste of points. i never take incubi for under 1000 pts. my archon always go on a bike, and with a squad of jetbike. only at a 1500 pts, i take a dracon with about 4-5 incubi.

the jetbike is my main killing unit. it speed allows it to encircle enemy forces. and with a lord... you know the rest.

at least one squad of wyches. they held down me friends blood angels honour guard with terminator honours and power weapons for the whole game.

i usually take one warrior squad with 2 dark lance, and the rest is raider squads.

ravangers are a must. always try to upgrade the weapons to disintergrator. either upgrade all the weapons or none. it is no good ungrading only some weapons.

talos is a fire magnet losing it but getting all your forces onto your enemy in one piece is better then losing the rest of your army but your talos.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yea pretty much wat warsmith said... The game I played yesterday I used:

WYche Archite:
    Bike
    drugs
    agonizer
    hell mask
    other stuff

elites:
    wychex9
    succubus-agonizer
    raider

fast:
    4 jetbikes
    2 blasters

troops:
    warrior squad of 10 with 2 dark lances x2

heavy support:
    2 ravagers, 1 with dissintegrators, 1 with dl
    talos.

this was a 1k battle, and I wiped a sm army. He was using 2 vindicators and 2 dreads, they are dam tough to take down. I needed more dark lances, but in the end, MY archite on bike was stalling 2 vindicators and took down a dread by himself. My heavy support had gone down by this time, and my dark lance troops were untouched. JUst my 2 dl squads and my archon was left. My troops were on one side of an area just waiting for the vindicator to come out of the alley and it was then blown to bits by 4 dark lances.

BAsically, the board was like 2 big areas on each side, and it narrowed into an alley on one side, so thats where all the action took place. My wyches did a good job before it was blasted by ordanance and the ravager took down a marine squad and scout squad in 2 turns total. I ended up using a lot of haywire grenades with the archon and took down the vindicator. My lord NEVER died. IT was crazy. The jetbikes and my talos took a lot of fire before they went down. THe bikes never did that much damage. The 2 blasters couldn't get near enough to tanks to take them down. In the end, it was sm vind-dread against 2 dl squads(which didnt have los of tanks) and my archon. I won pretty well.

incubi

A little luck

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast