Help against Nids - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help against Nids

Hey,
    I've recently started a Dark Eldar army and have been playing a few first games against my friend who has a Nid army. I've lost every game so far and so I could use some of your advice for DE vs. Nids games.
    My opponent's been using two lots of 9 warriors with Death Spitters and Bone Swords which give none of my units FnP when they get into close combat. I've been using a variety of Wyches, Wracks, and Grotesques but none of them have worked against the Nids so far.
    Advice would be much appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Shoot the Warriors with darklight weapons (blasters, dark lances). S8 makes a mockery of their three wounds in one fell swoop (especially since Synapse no longer gives Eternal Warrior) and the best he can get against that is a cover save. In other words... Grab three Ravagers, some Raiders and maybe some Blaster Trueborn in double-SC Venoms and just laugh your butt off when he feebly tries to chase your far more mobile skimmers around whilst you keep instagibbing his Warriors.

Seriously, Dark Eldar is just about THE Hard Counter to Tyranids. All that delicious poison against an army with no vehicles whatsoever... Mmm-mm, I like!
    Last edited by Ridell; September 1st, 2011 at 17:33.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x2)

The problem is your trying to take him in combat, DE are good in combat, nids however are better.
    the advise before me is sound, what you really want to do is gunboat him with night shields on them, he has low range weapons, so you can sit back with warriors on raiders and venoms and poison him to death.
    You are trying to take him on where his army strenghts are, unfortunately our CC isn't that great against nids due to their high toughness of his MC's and other squads, even his geneastealers will make a mockery of everything we have bar wyches.
    those large squads of warriors are nasty, just sit back and shoot them down first then engage if need be, DE is a steep learning curve as its a fragile army.
    Splinter and Darklight weaponry is what you really need here.

I will point this out, nids are probably our easiest opponents, you are just matching your army wrong against them.

by the way, first post, welcome to LO
    Last edited by dizzie; September 1st, 2011 at 17:57.
    If you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you...you won't be able to walk.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers for the advice
    I like the idea of three Ravagers and having some Venoms with trueborn in them. I guess being mobile would help me survive a lot better. But last game he used some Shrikes which are just warriors but with wings and a lot of gargoyles and they had me at turn 2 and just ripped my entire frontline to pieces, and i dont thin that the Gun boats would survive all of that
    I'll just try it out the next time im playing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers for the advice
    I like the idea of three Ravagers and having some Venoms with trueborn in them. I guess being mobile would help me survive a lot better. But last game he used some Shrikes which are just warriors but with wings and a lot of gargoyles and they had me at turn 2 and just ripped my entire frontline to pieces, and i dont thin that the Gun boats would survive all of that
    I'll just try it out the next time im playing

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x2)

well you have the range dude and your faster, he needs 4+ to hit your vehicles in hth moving 6" or under, anything over that is 6+ to hit, so you can realistically, shoot and zoom about. just remove his anti-tank weapons first which shouldn't be hard.
    you can move 6" and shoot from the vehicle.
    anything up over 6" and upto 12" only your vehicles can shoot. but the embraked unit can jump out and shoot
    if you find yourself in trouble move the 12 - 24" flatout, you gain a 4+ cover save for flat out on skimmers, pick a new spot and start firing next turn again

I would bring ravagers with dissintegrators truthfully, with 9 shots a piece at str 5, it will tear apart T5 and under, then poison the big Monsterous creatures.
    so with 3 you would have 27shots at str5 ap3. his guys are rarely over T6 and these weapons are not too shabby against these either. This of course is only one aspect of the army, if you team it with warriors,trueborn and some wyches to tarpit his units you should really smack face with him.

Its gonna take him alot to bring your skimmers down especially with nightshields attached, you are basically playing to your strs and his weaknesses choosing this type of army.
    If you write an army with what you have available we can critque it in the army section, tweak it and explain how the army works.
    Last edited by dizzie; September 1st, 2011 at 19:33.
    If you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you...you won't be able to walk.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    452 (x8)

The thing about ravager lances v dissies is that the lances can instant death those tyranid warriors/shrikes he was having trouble with and are useful against vehicles that any of his other opponents may use.

But a fairly standard DE army, (squads in raiders, lance ravagers or razorwings) should do fine against nids, a min/max venom spam army should utterly crush them in every game barring extreme luck of difference in player skill.
    IG Best Gen 1st overall of 10 DE 4th overall of 6
    Eldar 3rd Overall/Best General of 26--2nd Overall/Best General of 7--1st Overall/Best General of 11

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x2)

well i did a little comparison, per one ravager with dizzies you cause 4 wounds, and the DL's get 1.6 kills, mathammer.
    honestly i would choose the lances everytime, except on horde armies, which i think his opponent plays, from what he's telling us, more information needed though.
    now that you mention razorwings, that choice would be very evil on nids, i never get the chance to fight nids, our local player refuses to play against DE with them, as he says its a turkey shoot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of his army is based around his warriors and a lot of gaunts and genestealers but sometimes uses a fex or two or trygon/Malow,
    I can get rid of his monstrous Creatures but its just the swarm that gets to me and kills me.
    I need some blast weapons against the swarm dont I? But DE lack on blast weapons which is a shame.
    Ive never used a razorwing so i dont know how well it would do, it does look very nice on paper with all its missiles but its only a 10 overall.
    And do you guys think that maybe a pain engine or parasite would do well against nids? I just haven't tried those things out yet so i was just wondering what people advice on those guys are.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x2)

I doubt he would have range to razorwing first turn, basically you keep the missiles it has and unload all 4 at a squad first turn, upgrade the lances to dissies and the SC, basically a squad goes splat. Its a one trick pony, but worth it, the following turns it can still shoot its other weapons so its not too shabby, its av 10 all round because the missles hurt, in consecutive turns its still a nuisance.

you do have shredders a str6 blast, pretty cheap and really good against nids, one of the setups i like is the 5 trueborn in a venom 4x SC, 2 in squad and 2 on venom with 3 shredders. your normal squads can have shredders too, you can still take a unit or two of wracks for horde control. just ensure you have plenty of darklight and splinter weaponry too.
    Last edited by dizzie; September 1st, 2011 at 23:16.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast