Librarium Online Forums banner

UOTW: Termagants

2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  Warlord Vrrmik 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Sorry about the delay. Here's the next thread!
Talk about all the usual stuff.

Post away,

The Warlord
:terror:

#3 ·
I like the UOTW posts, because it has showed a lot of different strategies for units. Good job with them.

On the subject of termagants though, I dont really use them for much than camping on objectives. I usually place mine in a piece of cover so even if they fail their instinctive behavior, they do what I want them to do anyway. They are also good as a psychological weapon if my tervigon is running well and spitting out 12+ per turn. Other than that they might take down a couple models with fleshborer fire, but I never really count on them to do much.

#6 ·
I like my gaunts expensive. Usually unit of 20 with Devourers. The increased range and higher rof means they're actually useful, and paired with a shooty warror squad for synapse and Deathspitter threat make an interesting choice for opponents. I'm going to try podding the squad in for guaranteed 60 shot unleashing on the turn they arrive - enough to ruin most units' days.

#7 ·
I find I routinely undervalue Termagants. I find myself underestimating their capabilities in tieing up enemy units so that I can move in for the kill. As I build lists I forget about how the Tervigon buffs will make them effective killing machines IF I WOULD ONLY be more aggressive with the Tervigon and get them all into the mix quicker. And of course I never think about how even the remnants of chopped up broods make effective screens to keep an enemy unit at bay for just one more turn so I can rush that objective or get my Hive Guard into a more defendable position. Without them so many builds would simply fall part. Put Devourers in the hands of a large emough brood and they are doing some serious infantry mangling (as my more experienced peers have pointed out).

#8 ·
I have been off the board for a while, but I really enjoy this UOTW idea.

I try to keep my termies cheap, about 5 points a piece. Yeah, they're not the most useful in the world in terms of individual shooting abilities, but enough of them and you can still kill some people dead. :) Besides, I would rather use those extra points that could have been used buffing termies to instead get someone who can do some real damage.

They do also make great meat shields!

G
#10 ·
I'm torn between 30 in a single pack just to soak up crap, or 2 lots of 16 for pretty much the same purpose, if they get ignored then it will be at the prey's peril, for given toxin sacks they can be pretty painful.

I tend to try and use most of my nid army as 'here I am shoot me, that's it good prey, kill me' while my stealers in broods of 20 sneak in from the side and butcher their troops choices. Once troops are dead it's all over bar the shouting.

#12 ·
The lowly gaunt is in my opinion the most devastating unit in the Tyranid's arsenal. The reason, no opponent will give a second though to the threat of a 5 point model that is little better then a guardsmen.

I use my guants as infantry killers. I use the usual units for tanks but if it is everything from Ork mobs to terminator squads my unit of choice is the Guant. The key that i have found is to create the superguant from all the other units that give their bonus to them. Not only are those Tervigons great for poison and furious charge, but Hive Tyrants and Venomthropes also give advantages to guants that make even dedicated close combat unites think twice about attacking them. It also creates a conundrum for opponents use to fighting mech armies. They rarely have the anti-infantry capabilities to deal with all the guants that you can make and the supporting monstrous creatures. The Guant is a staple to the Tyranids. Ignoring their potental is the greatest mistake for other Tyranid players and non-Tyranid players.

You mentality when using the Guant should be "I don't care how awesome your unit is, I'm still going to drown you in bodies."

PS. Fear Annihilation missions. You have units that make easy kill points.

#13 ·
I've had mixed results with the Termagants, which is probably just because I like to employ different techniques, and I suffer from my own devices.

- Devourer gants: Even running as few as 10 of these gave me impressive results at smaller-point games. Sure, I had the Tervigon with them, but it wasn't even necessary. I will likely try to run up to 20 of these and see what happens. The only problem I face is that my Meta is transport heavy, and need to crack open the crunch shell to get to the creamy filling. Also not worth paying the points if they get stuck in assault.

- Basic gants: Without the Tervigon (AG and TS), I haven't found these useful. They jump into combat, take more wounds than my opponent, suffer a ton more Fearless wounds, and end up wiping themselves out in 2 rounds of combat. Maybe I'm just not taking enough? I don't know.... But I've had 25 all attacking one lowly Black Templar HQ choice, and lost the combat after a few rounds. Not really worth my time or the points, especially since it was an Objective game where my own troop choices were unusable.

- Tervigon gants: Huge. This has led me to the most successes so far. With Furious Charge and Poison, they are able to hit Marines (or anything else) with a ton of wounds in the first strike. The goal is, of course, to wipe out as many as possible in that first strike, because you lose most of the bonuses in the 2nd round of attacks. The difficulty is keeping the Tervigon within 6" for the bonuses, as well as keeping Termigants alive long enough to reach battle. My tactic for this has been to not produce until the round you plan to assault (assuming your Tervigon will survive a round or two of shooting). So far, so good on that.

What I have not done is run the Termigants without the Tervigon, while still paying for Adrenal Glands and Poison. Let's pretend you run a squad of 20, and that's an extra 100 points? For the low-low cost of ~100 more, you get a Tervigon. Is a Tervigon worth ~100 points? Yes.

#14 ·
regleant said:
I've had mixed results with the Termagants, which is probably just because I like to employ different techniques, and I suffer from my own devices.

- Devourer gants: Even running as few as 10 of these gave me impressive results at smaller-point games. Sure, I had the Tervigon with them, but it wasn't even necessary. I will likely try to run up to 20 of these and see what happens. The only problem I face is that my Meta is transport heavy, and need to crack open the crunch shell to get to the creamy filling. Also not worth paying the points if they get stuck in assault.

- Basic gants: Without the Tervigon (AG and TS), I haven't found these useful. They jump into combat, take more wounds than my opponent, suffer a ton more Fearless wounds, and end up wiping themselves out in 2 rounds of combat. Maybe I'm just not taking enough? I don't know.... But I've had 25 all attacking one lowly Black Templar HQ choice, and lost the combat after a few rounds. Not really worth my time or the points, especially since it was an Objective game where my own troop choices were unusable.

- Tervigon gants: Huge. This has led me to the most successes so far. With Furious Charge and Poison, they are able to hit Marines (or anything else) with a ton of wounds in the first strike. The goal is, of course, to wipe out as many as possible in that first strike, because you lose most of the bonuses in the 2nd round of attacks. The difficulty is keeping the Tervigon within 6" for the bonuses, as well as keeping Termigants alive long enough to reach battle. My tactic for this has been to not produce until the round you plan to assault (assuming your Tervigon will survive a round or two of shooting). So far, so good on that.

What I have not done is run the Termigants without the Tervigon, while still paying for Adrenal Glands and Poison. Let's pretend you run a squad of 20, and that's an extra 100 points? For the low-low cost of ~100 more, you get a Tervigon. Is a Tervigon worth ~100 points? Yes.
I thought you could only produce in/ before movement phase?

#15 ·
Please reread what I wrote. I "don't produce until the round" I plan to assault. That means I don't spawn anything on turn 1, because my Tervigon could potentially roll doubles, and gives the opponent time to shoot them all before they reach combat.

Turn 1: Move 6", run.
Turn 2: Spawn 6", Move 6", Assault w/ Termigants and run with Tervigon

Not many armies can take down a T6 W6 creature in the first round of shooting. Though I may change my mind if my opponent gets to go first and scored a lot of wounds.

#18 ·
Oh, and Warlord, I meant to post before that yes, I have found these threads helpful, especially being fairly new to Tyranids (and competitive play) myself. (My other armies are Tau and CSM). It's a good strategy discussion, and interesting to see a break-down of units, how people use them, and what kinds of success they've had. I can't contribute to them all because I haven't used probably half of what Nids have to offer... having played only maybe 15 games with my Tyranids so far, where most were non-competitive 'for fun' armies.

Another interesting discussion as an extension of this is calling out benefits of categories of units. e.g. which do you take for anti-mech support (hive guard vs. t-Fex), what goes best with a Winged Tyrant vs. no wings, would a 5-Tervigon list work, etc. It's the framework for designing a competitive list, without saying "you must build XYZ or lose". After all, simply taking all of our units in a vacuum to define the 'best' ones and throwing them together doesn't work; you need to find where the best synergies are.

But to your point, not sure how much interest / contribution there would be, or if simply reading the Army List threads would suffice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.