Oddest thing I've seen - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Oddest thing I've seen

Played a game a few weeks ago. 2 vs. 2 2k per player. Two tau players against Some space marines and Orks.
    My partner, who assures me plays tau and knows how to win, had the oddest list I have seen yet. Especially from an experienced player.
    Hard to remember, but it was basically as follows.
    -HQ
    Shas'el with 2 bodyguards. All with Missile pod, flamer, and sheild.
    -Elite
    (1) XV-9 with fusion cascade (I think it's the name)
    Heavy
    (2) Broadsides with shields
    That's it for suits. Seriously, that's it. The XV-9 and HQ didn't even come into play until round 3 and 4 respectively.
    (2) Railheads
    Fast Attack
    (2) Piranahs
    (1) unit of pathfinders
    Troops
    (2) 12 FW squads.
    (2) 20 Kroot squads with shaper and armor.

Long story short, we lost. It was kill points and he loved deploying his drones from the vehicles. Even charged them into combat. Kept telling me how great their initiative was.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x3)

I wouldn't play with him again, he clearly has no understanding of how to play the game.
    Tau: 6K - W17-D3-L4, Orks: 4K - W9-D0-L2, SM: 7K - W7-D3-L4,CSM: 4K W5-D1-L1, Nids: 3.2K W3-D0-L2
    Apoc games (mixture of armies used): W5-D0-L1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x2)

/Apology for possibly threadjacking.

Alright Tau commanders, here is your challenge:

After a very difficult, but ultimately successful battle, the enemy has brought in here-to-before unknown reinforcements. You have a small window of warning in which to organize and prepare for this fresh assault, but you have not yet received any reinforcements of your own. Currently, you are able to scrounge together the following:

-HQ
    Shas'el with 2 bodyguards. All with Missile pod, flamer, and sheild.
    -Elite
    (1) XV-9 with fusion cascade (I think it's the name)
    Heavy
    (2) Broadsides with shields
    That's it for suits. Seriously, that's it.
    (2) Railheads
    Fast Attack
    (2) Piranahs
    (1) unit of pathfinders
    Troops
    (2) 12 FW squads.
    (2) 20 Kroot squads with shaper and armor.

The enemy are a sizable force of those blasted Space Marines. How do you utilize your forces to the fullest and overcome this threat?

(Basically, given the list presented, how would you go about fighting a 'balanced' Space Marine army?)
    Gareth is the person I try to impress when I convert and paint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Running away?

Just kidding. Using the troops to line up infront of tue hammerheads and broadsides. Piranhas up the side flank to block incoming rhinos/razorbacks. Deepstriking all suits, hoping to get some decent hits in the rear armor. Having Kroot come in from the sides, hoping to get some marines in rapid fire range.

Just hoping to keep them bogged down while trying to get the wound by volume to kill off troops.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    92 (x2)

Pathfinders on a hill or in a building within deployment zone, one hammerhead on the left flank and the other on the right, broadsides either in a building with a nice view or on a hill, kroot outflanking, both FW squads in buildings, piranahs on left and right flank alongside the hammerheads, deepstrike the cascade, commander with bodyguard in the middle advancing forwards. Other than that i can't say anything else as you haven't described the board as well as mission type/deployment.

On a side note for 1500pts i only have 3 crisis suits, commander and two bodyguards. For 2000pts then id add at least two 3 man crisis suit teams, perhaps a 1-3 man broadside team.

EDIT:

What did the vehicles have for equipment?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

I don't know how to comment since Forgeworld units are apparently allowed. XV-9s aren't even that good, which is also hurting your cause.

If you could guarantee that all games would be free of any Forgeworld rules, you could at least build a tried-and-true XV8-centric build with a lot of plasma and missiles and know you've got something decent.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

+ Reply to Thread