Forge World - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forge World

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forge World

Does anyone here own any of the awsome models that forge world build for tau, i find the tau have some of the nicest models in the FW range. Im ordering Commander R'myr, i think he fits nicely into my play style. Im really interested to get feedback on this, i have a feeling that FW have a lot of things that our codex is missing.....>wink wink 5th ed codex.........<, thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

I've seen the XV-9 a while ago. The one with the fusion cascade guns if I remember right. The models do look incredible and the XV-9's do pack a bit of a punch with them. They're stronger, and harder hitting than our normal suits but a bit limited on options. I would advise against R'myr, he just has somewhat outdated rules for a special character last time I checked. The XV-9 commander has a bit more punch with his special munitions.

Forgeworld does give us quite a bit of options, though most are just not worth it. The list of things to get would be The XV-9's and the XV-9 commander, Barracuda, Remoras, and maybe the Piranha upgrades.
    I'll try to find the review I found a while ago, but it gives a run down on the value of the other products. The Tigershark, Orca, and Manta are just too damn expensive. But I'm also really tempted to get the Tigershark.
    The Knarlocs (Sp?) are just not hard hitting enough and I believe take a HS slot if you're using the FOC, The suit varients are just outdated and don't provide anything worth while, the Hammerhead upgrades are just appaling that they are still for sale. They give you NOTHING worth it. The Sentry turrets are a waste and only have armor 10 and I think are removed on a glancing hit of 4+. Heavy gun drones are just drones with burst cannons, so nothing special there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im pretty sold on R'myr, having a 4++ from shooting without drones, 3++ in CC, and hit and run, gives survivablity that i can see, especially since my wife has a thing for terminators......and being fearless will help too. Maybe out-dated but the model is really nice and if he does end up sucking balls, ill still have a comander that looks cool with a twin linked PR, and SG.
    The Remoras i see being very helpful, having seekers, markerlights and heavy BC's, plus they are fast.....
    I do agree that the turret options are, for the lack of a better word S***, i would still love to see my oppenents face though when i have TL'd Fusion cannons....
    i was looking at Ralai first but i think ill go with R'myr...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Nothing wrong with R'myr. I just prefer the custom builds for the generic commanders. To each his own though.
    I'm still working on getting the standard army maxed out first. After I get 5 more suits, 2 more broadsides, one more piranha, and another skyray. Wow that's a lot more than when it was just in my head.
    I was going to get the Baracuda when "Summer of Flyers" was still buzzing around. I'm trying to hold off getting the XV-9's because rumor has it last that they were going to be in the new 'dex with more options. Sadly nothing new has come out for quite some time and the last rumor was basically "When are Tau getting updated? What's a Tau? Oh! We still make those?!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, im thinking that alot of the FW stuff will most likely be in the new dex, i think the tau are a great army with sooo much potential to be more. When my wife saw that we have about 20 options for units she was shocked, being new to the game and starting with marines she has a thousand unit option\wargear\playstyles adn weapons, we have a very limited book. Admitadley our book isnt bad, but there is a lot of room for improvement. If i didnt have to donate a kidney to be able to afford FW i would get a lot more stuff from them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x3)

I have a greater Knarloc that i bought 2 years ago. Love the model but have never fielded it as it takes a HQ slot.
    I got R'ay's this games day and think he looks nice. Im looking forward to painting him.
    He is good but i can have my fireknife HQ for 80ish points less which is another battlesuit

Also note that things tend to take a while from FW and In 1/2 the things i have bought i have found something missing etc.
    Bad, but the good thing is that they have a great customer survive team so just give them a phone will the packaging at hand.
    One of my friends bought a IG turret and because the gun was completely screwed up he phoned them for a replacement part. For some reason (usually because its easier to send the parts its model with) he ended up with almost a whole turret again lol
    Last edited by Rafici; October 7th, 2011 at 17:49.
    Tau: 6K - W17-D3-L4, Orks: 4K - W9-D0-L2, SM: 7K - W7-D3-L4,CSM: 4K W5-D1-L1, Nids: 3.2K W3-D0-L2
    Apoc games (mixture of armies used): W5-D0-L1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've used the TL-Fusion Cannons on the Hammerhead, and it's a nice alternative to the monotony of Railguns and Ion Cannons. I was a bit disapointed to see they didn't make the list of 40k approved FW units for Tau. But the 42 Upgrade for Pirahnas is veeeery interesting. Pirahnas have also been somewhat pidgeonholed into doing distraction roles, blocking, maybe the occasional tank zap, but more an annoyer than anything.

Being able to put some more fast firepower into Tau, especially in FA where it is sorely needed, is a huge plus.
    Stab it, slash it, bite, tank shock and smash it. If that fails, shoot it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

I didn't really see the point to the FW Piranha upgrades. I don't see a problem with the set up they have now. They're fragile but still mobile with a melta gun and great for blocking. It actually kinda bothered me to see them making "up-grades" for piranhas and hammerheads. The units are fine the way they are, and they could have done a devilfish variant instead.

Also I don't see the appeal of the TL-Fusion Cannon. It just doesn't have the same appeal as the Railgun to me. And yeah, everybody takes the Railgun, but that's because it's a good weapon.

Though I may end up buying a few of those turrets eventually while trying to make a titan scale suit in the future.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And that's exactly why I enjoy the FW options. The railgun is a very good weapon. Problem is, it's the only good one for a Hammerhead. The Ion Cannon has it's merits, and no shortage of supporters, but when you are a shooting army that can only think of 2 weapons to put on your main battle tank it gets old. The FW turrets are not that great, to be honest. Only the TL Fusion Cannons are any good as far as I see. The TL Fusion Cannon helps against terminators and other super hard targets, i really don't mind the 24 inch range, since i use SMS most of the time anyway. The Melta range being 12 is a little risky, but like i said, it helps to give a viable 3rd option that falls between the pew pew of Ion Cannons and the bang boom of Railguns.

As for the 42... well our beloved Piranahs suffer from a number of issues. Being undergunned would be one of them, IMO. The community has figured out that Piranahs make excellence screeners, blockers, seeker missile carriers, drone deliverers, objective contesters, etc etc... but where it really lacks is in actual hitting power. I think it's great that Tau discussion groups have figured out how to make them work, but honestly I see it as coming up with our best lemonade recipe.

So having the option to up gun my Piranahs is very good to me. I can use my speed to move around the flanks, then use some ranged weapons to actually inflict some damage while keeping at range. Tau somestimes run the danger of being too bunched up or moving in a monolithic manner, as alot of J-S-J movements tend to bring battlesuits closer to the main formation rather than moving forward or around the enemy (your use may vary). All in all FW kits represent options, which is something Tau seriously lack in comparison to other armies. Even within the choices we do have there isn't much in the way of flexibility, so Tau builds are stagnating in the process of just trying to fight on the modern battlefield. FW injects some new options, new tactics and new uses for the same-old same-old.
    Stab it, slash it, bite, tank shock and smash it. If that fails, shoot it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

I have 3 of the forge world broadsides and a couple of the heavy gun drones. I like some of the new Forgeworld game approved stuff. hoping the new crisis suits they have make it to our fast attack slot in the codex ... whenever that makes an appearance.
    - Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast