How are you using Reavers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How are you using Reavers

Reavers have caught my eye recently. Even though DE Fast Attack is sooo sweet for so many reasons, i find myself lured by the multitude of possibilities of the Reaver jetbike.

What does puzzle me is the effectiveness of Blade Vanes. It is cool that the damage is resolved in the movement phase, and that with some fun manuevering the Reavers can hit a unit and get into cover in the same turn, and get their Turbo Boost save. But, it just doesn't seem all that effective to me. I'm not so sure i wouldn't prefer to use my splinter rifles and charge in. True, Reavers are soft and squishy, but they have Combat Drugs, Close Combat Weapons and Splinter Pistols. Plus, for all the fun of Blade Vanes it doesn't actually lock an opponent in combat like CC.

How are you using Reavers? They seem like they can be very good shooters and maybe decent assault tack ons with another unit.

Stab it, slash it, bite, tank shock and smash it. If that fails, shoot it.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x2)

Reavers are pretty awesome. The trick is learning how not to use them. Do you want to turbo-boost turn one and be all alone in the opposite deployment zone? Not usually. That just results in getting singled out and killed.

You don't necessarily want to use your assault move to be in cover either since you can't turbo out of it next turn.

I like to hold mine in reserve, or keep them back from the fight for a turn or two while the rest of my army takes the fight to the enemy. Usually the opponent will commit something to taking objectives in my DZ or try to get my lance snipers. That's where reavers really shine. They can cover all of that area quickly and inflict casualties while doing so.

I also break mine down into as many fast attack slots as I have left. If I have 9 reavers it's 3 units of 3. That way I can't lose the all to one units shooting.

They do get absolutely murdered by hydras though.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    286 (x5)

use them to pick on depleted squads. reason is, is that they can't survive a retaliatory attack back.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x2)

Reavers are a quirky unit, they are like a jack of all trades.
    They excel at tank hunting, i arm mine with 2 heat lances as standard in a group of 6, heat lances are not to be ignored, str 6 with an extra 2d6 at 9" is fantastic, then you get to jump 6" into cover, lets not forget AP1. So what does this mean, well providing you hit, the laws of averages(math hammer)says you will imobilise a vehicle. How did i come to this decision? well str 6 and half of 12 is 12, cause its a lance all armour value over 12 is 12, so its a glancing hit, then if we take half of 6 on the vehicle damage chart which is 3(weapon destroyed) which moves to 4 (imobilised) because of AP1.

They excel at killing infantry?
    not really, but wait hear me out, reavers are armed with blade vanes, blade vanes which automatically hit. So lets say we have a 6 man squad and we roll our hits, average says 9 hits, so you will force on average 5 wounds rounding up, this is just their annoyance factor, they can pretty much do this, draw some fire, be hugely annoying and be pretty protected at the same time.

However i would like to argue a point.
    Give the arena champion a VB, PW or agoniser, just something that helps a little at winning against smaller squads, points to spare of course, It helps them to hold their own for a bit if they get charged. Reavers are quite Tough in HTH its shooting that they suck against(unless turbo-ing), the drugs really boost them. I like to use them like this, wither a squad down and charge, providing said squad is 5 or 6 men or under, you get 2 HL shots, and 8 poison shots(relentless, rapidfire), your shooting will kill on average 1.99 marines, so thats 2. Following this charge with the men and a venom blade.

Men / VB
    drug roll 1= 0.83/0.55
    drug roll 2= 1.11/0.74
    drug roll 3= 1.27/0.66
    drug roll 4= 1.38/0.66
    drug roll 5= 1.11/0.74
    drug roll 6= 0.83/0.55

Wrote out results to ensure it was betwen 3 and 4 as i originally thought.
    So as we can see we expect to kill 3-4 marines in that turn, getting 1 on roll sucks and at least if you get a 6 your protected a lot more.

So anywaz how i play them is like this, if i have cover from a squad roughly 18" away i'll shoot and duck in until its at a manageable size for follow up shoot and charge, or if a squad close to me becomes a threat, turbo over them and find another spot, or if ya have a close by tank have a pot shot, but DO NOT leave them out in the open. So before i start rambling about all types of scenarios, reavers need to be played in a certain way, you need to protect them until you see openings, their strenght is not really what they can do, although they are quite good at what they do, its about making your enemy react to them and keeping them safe so your enemy cannot reach them.

So for example, there's a juicy tank beside me, i want to HL it, but after i'll get shot to bits, What should i do? don't do it. I don't care how much the unit costs and the weigh up points wise, find another spot and make the tank move which will reduce it to one shot, hopefully getting the units attention 2 making both the unit and tank react.
    next turn turbo away if need be but you essentially pull squads and tanks out of the fight by using reavers right, their speed helps alot in this. Reavers are like the buttler out of Mr deeds, "you underestimate the sneakiness sir!" They can get good positions and make your opponent react letting you piecemeal other parts of your opponents army. then at oportune moments strike when there's no retaliation.

on another note i must start shortening my posts
    Last edited by dizzie; October 7th, 2011 at 21:51.
    If you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you...you won't be able to walk.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

I fell out of love with them when I reread the turbo-boosters rule - no moving through difficult terrain. It took all the joy out of bladevanes. :-(

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

54 (x2)

umm maybe i'm mistaken, but we have jetpacks, we can fly over terrian, ok so we can't go into it, which limits some capability, though i can live with that, never realised we couldn't go into terrain, always took the rule for granted.
    If you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you...you won't be able to walk.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x2)

can someone tell me the page where that rule is on the " cant turbo boost out or in terrain". i know vehicles can do it so why not jetbikes. also there is no rule that limits us from turbo boosting over terrain at least so i think but then again i dont have the rulebook with me so i cant double check. ill be back with answers tho.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x2)

ok i checked it and the turbo boosting section says that models that use turbo boost may not move through terrain. however in the jetbike section it says that jetbikes may move through all terrain freely. bit of a contradiction.

The Dvl in Pale Moonlight danceman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    121 (x3)

Keeping them small and annoying. 3 with a heat lance. Great fun to appear behind or at the side as now your opponent have to worry about AT from different angles. Barely cost anything and even if they don't make they've already done their job, taking one for the team, that is.
    ""What's the matter? Don't ya like clowns? Don't we make ya laugh?" - Captain Spaulding.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by nigelboyette View Post
    ok i checked it and the turbo boosting section says that models that use turbo boost may not move through terrain. however in the jetbike section it says that jetbikes may move through all terrain freely. bit of a contradiction.
    I agree there's some wiggle room, but to me it seemed that because the jetbike rule on p53 is the general statement of their movement, and they get turbo-boost through adding a special rule (p76), the special rule's restrictions would override the general statement. Jetbikes moving normally use the guideline on p53 and can move through difficult terrain, but when they turbo-boost they follow the turbo-boost restrictions.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast