v.s Imperial Guard - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    623 (x8)

v.s Imperial Guard

What would be a good 2000pt list v.s Guard, it will most probably be a mix of infantry & vehicles? (conscripts & artillery), & should i start off in reserve first, deepstrike or try & use Webway Portal?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Oh No! Not Him Again! Non Marine Player's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    94 (x2)

It depends on the artillery taken. If you mean Basilisks and the like, raider/venom rush him. Basilisks have a minimum range of 36" so are very limited in regular games, plus depending on the special weapons he runs on his infantry you should be able to survive via turbo-saves. Then you can choose whether you go Wych cult or Kabal, either of which can break Guard. Wyches would want hydra gauntlets and haywires, Kabalites want blasters and splinter cannons, basic stuff tbh. Ravagers would be nice for breaking tanks, blah de blah. Just remember to close range and go for the throat, staying in reserve is not helpful as it just means we have to go a turn without damaging the opponent. If he's lost the things that can danger you (hydras, russes etc), then Raider/Venom armys will destroy Guard. Gimme a list to look at and I'll see what you can do =)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    54 (x2)

depends really on what the guard player is using, if its tank heavy or not.
    Basically a good all rounder army against guard if tank heavy would include:
    ravagers x 3
    wyches x 3 with heamy and haywires(+ other upgrades, agoniser and hydras) on a raider
    scourges x 3 with 2 HWL
    3x 3trueborn with 3 blasters on venoms(may waish to take raiders instead for more anti tank)

This army will basically bring you at about 2000pts.
    If you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you...you won't be able to walk.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x2)

I think a good mech IG army is by far our toughest opponent. Because our armor values are so low they can potentially bring enough S6-S10 to ground us in one good turn of shooting.

Your worst enemy is the hydra. If he has one it hits anything on the table and ignores cover. You will lose one vehicle per turn it exists, or several reaver jet bikes. You can count this an acceptable loss or take it out early.

If you go first deploy everything as foreword as you can. Move as far as you can, and take out every vehicle you can (even if it means using haywire grenades and getting assaulted next turn. Wyches will still murder guardsmen. Just make sure you have cover from shooting.) bring in reavers or a razorwing from reserve to clean up infantry.

If he steals the initiative pick up your models and go home. You're in for a rough day.

If you go second, have duke sliscus and deepstrike everything. Drop down next to a vehicle and lance the crap out of it. Then absorb shooting and move on as best you can. Start at one end of the table and work your way down.

In kill points, guard bleeds KP even faster then we do. Go for the easy ones. Leave that 40 guardsmen blob alone for now.

In objectives wait as long as you can to grab them. Stationary DE is dead DE. Don't ever think about the objectives until turn 3 at least. We're mobile enough that we can grab stuff late game. They are much less so.

Also remember that it doesn't take much to break a guard squad. If he has a lot of infantry units focus less on wiping them out and more at putting them over the 25% line. Some will run, and if he's playing close to the edge like guard like to do they die.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Very Solid Advice so far.
    i just want to add that you want to have 4 Blasters Trueborn and that you need 5 Scourges at least for 2 special weapons. I wouldn't use Scourges vs IG because they bring too many template weapons which eat through them.

I have tried an alternative list (WWP and Talos with Wyches) but found that you should stick to mass Dark Light weapons and methodically take out their tanks. Try to hit their biggest threats to you and if you have still some shots left try to pop transports. Then let the SC rip up any unit on foot and hope you make a lot of FF and Cover saves.

As said before IG can be build to be our worst match up: too many tanks and flamers to cook everything in cover. So I could advice to stick to your vehicle but vs IG this isn't always the best because your transport will explode al lot. Rather offer them too many targets and hope you are more lucky than him and may begin the shooting (so Baron is a must!)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    623 (x8)

Thanx for the advice guys

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've found that CC and cover are my best friends. True, a crafty IG player can bring hellhounds and Hydras if they know you are going to play them, but most just end up bringing the more "reliable" Leman Russ, LR varients, Basillisks and tons of veteran transporting Chimeras. That being said, i've found that beastmasters i my favorite units, followed by Razorwings. Beastmasters can charge multiple units, either holding them down in CC, or more likely, killing a bunch of IG infantry and making the rest flee.

Now you consolidate into a screening pattern and let the IG either shoot your beasts or allow all your inf behind them a 4+ cover save, which is not the worst thing in the world.

But whatever you do it's going to be ugly. My only real advice is to keep at it, you're going to get mowed down at certain points. But IG break very easily, through a combination of weak CC ability, general inability to sustain damage, and the fact that their shooting relies on massed numbers of average BS. While IG tanks are nasty, i've found that once that infantry line had been chewed up IG are on their backheels.
    Stab it, slash it, bite, tank shock and smash it. If that fails, shoot it.

+ Reply to Thread