Termagants and their use - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Termagants and their use

Okay, does anyone like these guys? Are they a bit worthless as shooting troops? Do they not fit well into a troop type compared to Hormagaunts?

I like using them in decent sized broods (12-16) with few modifications. I prefer the increased save and initiative to keep em cheap but one with a hive node is always standard.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

in the words of Astroth :wink:

termaguants are useless, use sythe guants instead

i beleive sythe guants are just a basic guant with sything talons.

you get more of them, they cost less, they're still effective and their way better then termaguants. (5pts each i think)

the only problem i find with this is that you only get 8 sything talons in the boxed set and not many people are willing to give them up for flesh borers.

i'll let astroth cover where he gets them from though..........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, that gets me thinking. For 6 points you get a gaunt with scything claws, almost equivalent to a normal hormagaunt. The the horma gets a WS of 4 and leaping (which I find incredibly effective) for 10 points. If you were to match the weapon skill the termagaunt would now be 7 points. A 3 point difference is not too much.

Still, BOTH are mutatable species using the same base profile and points to upgrade. I guess the real argument is: Is it worth having basic troops be able to shoot, or should you just concentrate on tooling them up for HTH.

I ended up with more specialized units. My termagaunts for some added firepower and my hormagaunts for quick, decent HTH units (backed up by stealers of course).

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x4)

Termagaunts have a certain, very limited use: Against DE raiders. With their S4 guns they can harm these. Otherwise prefer scythegaunts, and use these i combination with some hormies (or better gargoyles).
    I did the math, the basic scythegaunt is by far the most efficient version, 100pts of these beat 125pts of basic marines in close combat, with in average 40pts of surviving gaunts - even if the marines are considered as fearless.

Especially with the new assault rules the shooting ability before your reach close combat is useless against troops. Additionally you lose the ability to FoC, and you risk that a smart opponent removes his casualties in a way that you're no longer in charge range.

jwu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x2)

termies?

well, I for one like to include swarms of termagants for a couple of reasons. cheap screens (I mean someone in your army has to die, I'd rather it'd be the cheap termies in front of my hormas, which can then leap into HTH whence the termies are wiped out [shouldn't take too long ] ).
    scondly, does it all have to be about points, WS, kickass good troops?
    I feel there's _way_ too much focus on that, and not the RPG'ish aspect of it. I mean, come on, what would the frightening stories about them be without the hordes of termagants?

I think they look good as minis too, so they are a nice touch to the whole look n' feel of my army.

I build for looks, then for efficiency, as I'd rather loose with an army that me and my opponents think is cool, and believable, than win with an army made of of 3 superduer tyrants and 6 hormagaunts

my 2 cents anyways...

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x4)

Actually, you cannot screen hormagaunts with termagaunts, because of "Shoot the Big Ones" - 'nids cannot screen at all.

jwu

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, you cannot screen hormagaunts with termagaunts, because of "Shoot the Big Ones" - 'nids cannot screen at all.

jwu
    not true. its shoot the BIG ones. Horm & termagants are the same size / species. shoot the big ones refers to monstrous creatures.

you mean to tell me someone can shoot through a teeming mass of slimy, scaly hormagaunts, while they're bounding and leaping, and hit a termagant / genestealer etc?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you mean to tell me someone can shoot through a teeming mass of slimy, scaly hormagaunts, while they're bounding and leaping, and hit a termagant / genestealer etc?
    Yes. In fact the only time a unit of Tyranid models block line of sight is when it is engaged in HTH combat. Otherwise the enemy can freely pick which unit to fire on.

LO Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting view you have here...

I just know that none of my friends which are playing tyranids use termagaunts... or AFAIK*

*= As far as I know

But I never knew that, if I have got it right, that one can shoot at any squad in the tyranid army. Ok I knew that big targets can't bve screened by small ones, but that not anyone can screen anything... now that's something new!

Where did you find this stuff? On the internet or in a book or something?

Kasutta!
    check out my blog: DRAGONSLAYERO

HEY!
    I WAS IN THE IMPERIAL (Norwegian) GUARD!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where did you find this stuff? On the internet or in a book or something?
    It is in the codex, plainly stated. I am never amazed at the number of people I have come across that play this game on a regular basis and never read ALL the rules. When you play your buddies, make sure they have their codex and if something pops up ask them to SHOW you the rules. Most of the time they are right, but I still find people that just skim through the books and assume a rule works a certain way without checking into it.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast