Heirodule goes to the Throne of Skulls - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

Heirodule goes to the Throne of Skulls

Hello everyone

Some of you may be aware that its the second Autumn throne of skulls in Nottingham this weekend and Ill be taking my Nids up to compete. Its mainly a taster to get used to the new format, so I dont expect to win the thing, but Id certainly hope to place highly overall for Nids. If I can place well generally then that'll be a great bonus

Sadly I can't run my ideal list due to an unfortunate accident that happened on Tuesday. A family member accidentally knocked my T-fex and zoanthrope models onto the floor, where they then went missing. After a frantic hunt the T-fex turned up in the bed of the family Dachshund.... and in the water bowl.... and in the food bowl. The damn thing thought it was a toy and decimated it The zoanthropes were sadly also broken and Ive only been able to repair one in time, which im using as the doom. So at the last minute I've scrambled what I could and come up with this:

Hive Tyrant
    / 2 Twin Linked Devourers, Hive commander

Tyrant Guard

3 Hive Guard

3 Hive Guard

The Doom of Malanthi In a mycetic spore

20 Hormaguants with toxin sacs

20 Hormaguants with toxin sacs

10 Genestealers with toxin sacs and broodlord

Trygon Prime

Trygon Prime

Hopefully Ill find time to post a pic of the full army at some point too, but thats what im running with. Its very very similar to the list I took second with at the 40k Online tournament a while back, so I know what im doing with it. Last time around I had Zoanthropes though and their land raider busting prowess is greatly missed here. However with the amount of psychic defence going about (damn you space wolves), I think Doom might be the better option for reliable results. Regardless, its my only option so im sticking with it.

Anyway I thought it might be nice to post up a little summary of the games Ill play over the weekend and post some thoughts on the current state of Nids in general, tactics I used and so on. Here's hoping for a good result!

- Heirodule

Last edited by Heirodule; October 20th, 2011 at 19:44.
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x1)

Good luck! And sorry for your losses. Tyrannofex just can't compete in assaults against Dachshunds.
    Hive Fleet Papillon Inventory Profile

Ad majorem Dei gloriam

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

Good luck! Do the tyranid players proud! And of course it cant survive in assault, dachshunds count as gargantuan creatures

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey man sorry about the models and good luck with the tournament just remember its not about who wins its about HOW MUCH BIOMASS YOU COLLECT FOR THE SWARM =) so go collect some biomass my pretty... MUHAHAHAHAHA!!... but in all seriousness the list looks solid just remember to keep those hive guard in some synapse.... forgot to do that in my last match..... very bad time for my nids =P
    Hive Fleet Kraken - Inventory Profile

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Hmmm....interesting list. I'm surprised there's no tervigons in there.

Good luck bro. Do us nid players proud.
    Record: Win - Loss - Draw: Hive Fleet Pandora (New) 32-6-6 Space Wolf 7th Co. 52-11-6
    Blood Angels 12-4-2 Daemonhunters 20-8-3
    Imperial Guards 12-5-2 Daemons 8-3-2

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    344 (x8)

Right bit of an obscure way of doing things, but im doing the second day first due to the laptop being a pain in the arse and not letting me access the reports i typed up down in nottingham. When all's said and done I finished the tournament with 2 wins, 2 draws and a loss and got second best Nid player overall. Unfortunatly I got drawn against 2 GK armies, a space wolf AND and a mech IG, so I didnt have the easiest of rides.

Anyway so the first game of day 2 and it panned out something like this:

Game 4 - Annihilation with Dawn of war setup against Space wolves

This didn't look good at all, 3 long fang packs with 4 missiles in each, 3 5 man grey hunter packs with melta/fist wolf guard in las-plas razorbacks, a single 9 man with rune priest in a rhino, some scouts, a lone wolf and 4 thunderwolves kitted for allocation shenanigans. Lots and lots of MC killing firepower.

The terrain was reasonable, a large ruin slightly left of centre and on my side of the board, a smaller one in the top right corner, with some rocks top left and bottom right. I deployed my tyrant in the middle ruin, with the intention of running the Hive guard up behind, deepstrike the Trygons and outflank a unit of hormaguants and the stealer's as distractions. Doom would be the killing blow, those units of long fangs had nowhere to hide in cover and should be easy meat.

Things started slowly, the Hive guard trundled on and took up positions in cover, the tyrant made sure he had a cover save and continued riding up the board. The space wolves moved on the minimal amount, and from left to right had a lonewolf in front of a razorback, some long fangs, the rhino, some long fangs, a razorback, the final unit of long fangs and the final razorback being screened by the thunderwolves.

Turn 2 both trygons came in, one on the left close to his lines, the other on the right about half way down the board. The Hive guard on the right stunned and immobilised the razorback, whilst the left managed to remove the gun from the rhino, immobilising it in the process. The trygons managed to kill 2 missile fangs on the left and the Sargent on the right. The tyrant also knocks out the sarge and 2 missles from the centre fang pack.

In retaliation the MC's eat a lot of fire. Both trygons are put down to 2 wounds, though the lone wolf rolls badly for terrain and is unable to assault the trygon on the left. The thunderwolves barrel into the right hand trygon, and despite its best efforts, none die, though all take a wound. Unsurprisingly, the trygon is killed, leaving the Hive guard on the right out of synapse. However this does mean its burrow hole is exposed. The wolf player does his best to stop the gaunts coming through by wrapping his thunderwolves around the marker. However the trick fails, as the gaunts are simply placed within 6", they dont walk on. After a quick check the chief ref sides with me, leaving the thunderwolves badly out of possition.

Turn 3 and everything bar doom shows up. The hormaguants come on and surround the poor thunderwolves in a giant ring. The other hormaguants come on from the left intending to charge the long fangs over there whils the stealers came on top right and got into cover sharpish. Skirting round the lone wolf the wounded trygon slams into the razorback, whilst the tryant shuffles to maintain synapse on the right flank. The stealers push on towards a las-plas razorback on the right, and the long fangs situated just next to it. Shooting is good, the central laz-plas is destroyed and the far right shaken again. The tyrant thins out the newly emerged squad, killing a melta and one standard marine. The squad is also pinned. The trygon assaults, killing the far left razorback and the guants are just out of range to see the long fangs assaulted. The other brood however slams into the thunderwolves and crushes them completely.

In retaliation, the ten man squad gets out of its rhino and the 6 man squad lines up on the trygon that just wrecked their transport. The lone wolf starts heading for the left most Hive guard, whilst the squad of 6 inside the immobilised razorback on the right jump out and charge towards the triumphant gaunts. Missiles see the Trygon killed and bolters wipe out the outflanking guants. Cover saves the tyrant from a missile and a good roll prevents jaws from killing him. The squad of 6 cracks off their banner and charges into the guants. Though 3 die they take a total of 12 down after no retreat.

Turn 4 and things look grim. The stealers are slowly making their way through terrain, the left flank is gone, hormaguants are locked in assault and im down by at least 4 kill points. There's a lot of easy kills on the table though and joy of joys, doom shows up. He drops centrally, in range of the pinned squad and the central squad of long fangs, now down to 3 models. The tyrant shuffles right for a shot at the left most long fangs, and drags the Hive guard with him. Shooting is good, the rhino is finally taken out, and the immobilised razorback stunned again and loses the plasma. Doom is brutal. The central long fangs are killed, as are the pinned squad. Catalysm goes off, and whilst originally aimed at the squad of 9 with the rune priest, scatter see's it hit the squad of 6. All bar the wolf guard are blown away. The tyrant wipes out the left most fang pack, but the stealers are still too far away to make it into assault! The hormaguants kill a marine, but are down to just 5 models.

Things look a lot better now, all 3 razorbacks are dead or on their way out, 2 of the 3 long fangs are gone, there's an easy kill point in the one model wolf guard and Doom is on 10 wounds. However the wolf scouts show up and everything converges on doom to try and kill it, barring the lone wolf, who after running round a rock for the last few turns chasing the trygon starts heading towards the tyrant. Sadly the first melta shot gets through, and doom goes from hero to pasted in an instant. This leaves everyone else free to concentrate on the tyrant, which is slain. The pod is dropped down a hole by jaws. Another marine dies leaving just the wolf guard, but I lose a gaunt too.

Top of turn 5 and I've got 2 broods of Hive guard and the stealers left. The Hive guard both lurk though, the left set firing on the lone wolf to no effect whilst the right knock out the other weapon on the razorback. Still the stealers are out of range, but only just.

The space wolf is unable to do much either, with all his mobility gone the 10 man squad is way way out of position and the lone survivor of the blast from doom hops into some cover for safety. The lone wolf is still wandering around heading towards the Hive guard, whilst a missile attack see's one Hive guard on the left killed. Both the guant and Wolf guard miss in their personal duel.

The dice is rolled to continue the game and its a 3, so turn 6 is played.

Finally the genestealers get their act together and surge forwards. The Hive guard are again forced to shoot the lone wolf to no effect, whilst the right unit tries an ambitious shot for the lone wolf guard. They're about an inch short though.

Assault is quick and brutal, the poisoned stealers carving through the scouts and razorback. Toxin sacs make them phenomenal fighters. In guant is finally crushed by the fist of the wolf guard, who heads over towards the unit of 2 Hive guard.

His turn 6 see's the lone wolf finally get some action, as he and the wolf guard charge the Hive guard. Everything else tries to whittle down the genestealers, after living lightning, bolter fire and 4 krak missles, only the broodlord is left standing. The Hive guard are quickly despatched and unable to kill the wolf guard.

Turn 7 is rolled for and once again comes up. This leaves me with a problem. I have 3 Hive guard and a broodlord left. The broodlord can assault the remaining 3 long fangs but if they all die he's dead for sure. The Hive guard will do everything they can but stand a very good chance of fleeing the table if assaulted by the lone wolf. If the broodlord can lock himself in combat for the space wolf turn and then survive, I wont be tabled. If the broodlord kills the long fangs I may well win on kill points, but be tabled and lose anyway. I could run back to the cover and go to ground and try and survive, but its risky, T5 and a 3+ cover save will only go so far.

Eventually I take a gamble the broodlord wont be THAT good and charge him in. The Hive guard shoot the nearby wolf guard with everything they have but his armour holds. Feeling ive got to go for it, the Hive guard charge the powerfist wielding wolf guard. Oddly enough thats the first time they've charged anything, ever. They manage to kill it in assault, and try to consolidate as far away from the table edge as they can.

At the other end of the table the broodlord assaults the 3 Long fangs. The attacks are rolled and scores 2 rends and a save! The lone Long fang rolls.... and saves! The broodlord takes a wound in reply, but is still locked in combat for now. The leadership check is then taken, and is passed by the narrowest of margins on an 8. Thank god for long fangs being LD9.

In an attempt to grab a last kill point, the lone wolf assaults the Hive guard. Unsurprisingly they get slaughtered and flee the board. The broodlord just has to survive and although he wiffs his attacks the Long fang is unable to kill him off. The broodlord is literally the only model I have left, triumphant on 2 wounds.

We count up the kill points, and I score 10 from the 3 razorbacks, the rhino, 2 long fang packs, 2 Grey hunter packs, the thunderwolves and the scouts. My opponent also scores 10 points from the 2 Trygons, The tyrant, the tyrant Guard, the 2 broods of Hive guard, both hormagaunt broods plus doom and his spore. However the Lone wolf is still alive, scoring him minus 1 and handing me the game!!

A very very close game and very enjoyable too all in all. Standout unit has to go to the genestealers. They were versatile and very very deadly with re-rolls to wound. The broodlord makes them ridiculously hard to finish off and always poses a threat too. Credit does have to go to doom and the tyrant who both picked up killpoints when they needed to though.

Anyway more to come later once my laptop sorts itself out, hope you all enjoyed reading for now.
    Your friendly neighbourhood gargantuan creature

+ Reply to Thread