Librarium Online Forums banner

I Need Help Choosing Additional Units

734 views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Wizard 
#1 ·
Well, even though I have lots of painting to do on my 1,500 pt Tau list, I'm thinking of starting another force. My friend has a small Necron army and might sell it to me for $10 or $15!!!
This army would start me off with about 22 warriors, 1 lord, 6 scarab swarms, and the codex!!!

Now my question is, what should I get to expand this? I already have a pretty good warrior base, maybe i should get 1 more box of them. What I would like to have though are Wraiths and some Tomb Spiders incorporated into the army, would these be wise choices? Just need some input. Thx.

#2 ·
Originally posted by Goldfire@Oct 18 2004, 16:16
Well, even though I have lots of painting to do on my 1,500 pt Tau list, I'm thinking of starting another force. My friend has a small Necron army might sell it to me for $10 or $15!!!
This army would start me off with about 22 warriors, 1 lord, 6 scarab swarms, and the codex!!!

Now my question is, what should I get to expand this? I already have a pretty good warrior base, maybe i should get 1 more box of them. What I would like to have though are Wraiths and some Tomb Spiders incorporated into the army, would these be wise choices? Just need some input. Thx.
[snapback]232622[/snapback]​
Wraiths and Tomb Spyders are always worth it, I would get about 3 wraiths for a 1500 pint list. Tomb Syders are always good, I would use atleast one, and when you get your full army done (2000ish) I would get 3.

You should also get some Flayed Ones, their always worth their points. So are Destroyers :rofl:

#3 ·
I would suggest buying one box of troops at least, that way you have a good solid troop base (in 1000 points you'll want around 25-30 18 pt. necrons) and almost a full squad of scarabs. Then start looking towards fast attack and elite choices. The cheapest choice would be either flayed ones or wraiths (45 dollars american for a full squad) or possibly a tomb spyder. If money isn't a problem then I would suggest getting the battle box for 80 dollars (20 warriors, 5 scarabs and 3 destroyers) and 10 immortals/flayed ones.

#6 ·
Honestly it is best to try to pick up at least a squad of everything. That way when you feel like trying out different combos in your Army list you can. It makes it a lot more fun.

Still I would go with one more box of warriors next then some Wraiths and Destroyers. Also, concider picking up a Destroyer Lord. After that pick up a Tomb Spyder and a Heavy Destroyer. Then go with a Monolith, Flayed Ones, Immortals, and Pariah. Finally pick up the C'Tan. They are just cool Models.

#7 ·
Originally posted by Dreachon@Oct 19 2004, 02:49
I would definetly invest in a 5 man strong unit of destroyer, they will add a lot of mobility and firepower to your army
[snapback]232890[/snapback]​
Hello all, I'm new to the board,but at this point I consider myself a veteren necron player.

4th. ed isn't all that forgiving to certian necron units that we all loved in 3rd ed. My advise to you Goldfire is that while tombspyders are great for helping with WBB rolls, they are completely hopeless in most other reguards. Majority toughness and always being able to pick out MCs kills them. Any opponet that knows what he is doing is going to destoy these round one.

Also, destoyers were everyting in 3rd. but now they are just way to expensive for what they're doing since they can't be screened. They same points of Immortals does same job for the most part and is more resistant.

Immortals, swarms, wraiths(maybee), flayed ones, and of course wariors are the way to go.

#8 ·
Originally posted by McCommander@Oct 19 2004, 13:21
Hello all, I'm new to the board,but at this point I consider myself a veteren necron player.

4th. ed isn't all that forgiving to certian necron units that we all loved in 3rd ed. My advise to you Goldfire is that while tombspyders are great for helping with WBB rolls, they are completely hopeless in most other reguards. Majority toughness and always being able to pick out MCs kills them. Any opponet that knows what he is doing is going to destoy these round one.

Also, destoyers were everyting in 3rd. but now they are just way to expensive for what they're doing since they can't be screened. They same points of Immortals does same job for the most part and is more resistant.

Immortals, swarms, wraiths(maybee), flayed ones, and of course wariors are the way to go.
[snapback]233323[/snapback]​

Yes, 4th edition changed Necrons a bit.

Tomb Spyders do get hurt when making scarabs so don't make them, but they are good enough to take one. Just leave it out of site until you need the hth support.

Immortals do not do the job that destroyers do though. Immortals have a nice weapon and are cheaper, but Destroyers and heavies are the only thing that can shoot 36". That makes them worth taking. Yes, you can't screen them but you can use the terrain on the board to make very few units (usually only what you are shooting at) be able to have los to you. Also, moving 12" or boosting 24" makes them very good at grabbing table quarters or objectives. I always take 3, but rarely take more than that anymore.

#9 ·
Originally posted by havok735@Oct 19 2004, 15:53

Tomb Spyders do get hurt when making scarabs so don't make them, but they are good enough to take one. Just leave it out of site until you need the hth support.

Immortals do not do the job that destroyers do though. Immortals have a nice weapon and are cheaper, but Destroyers and heavies are the only thing that can shoot 36". That makes them worth taking. Yes, you can't screen them but you can use the terrain on the board to make very few units (usually only what you are shooting at) be able to have los to you. Also, moving 12" or boosting 24" makes them very good at grabbing table quarters or objectives. I always take 3, but rarely take more than that anymore.
[snapback]233349[/snapback]​
Of course 3 destoryers are fine, that's what I use. Most people in 3rd ed. were used to fielding 9-15 of them. The 36' inch range isn't all that big of a deal when when you consider that imortals fire 24' after moving for 6'. With VoD and a monolith, range just isn't a big issue for necrons since you have the ability to be almost anywhere you need to be.

Tombspyders, have taken on a very (Tau Ertheral) kind of job, Find a place behind cover where your ablities are useful, but your completely out of the action. As far as a counter assult hth unit. They are just not strong anymore especially now with the new space marine codex coming out so that you can have two PF in every sqaud if you so wish. Flayed ones counter assult so much better.

#10 ·
Actually, TS don't fall under the majority T rule, according to the rules help line at GW. Since they are MCs, they can be picked out of the squad of scarabs and fired on individually. All hits against the unit as a whole would all go to the scarabs first. Once all their wounds were finished, then remaining hits would go against the TS, and they would be figured at T6, so no instant kills.

#11 ·
Originally posted by Gojiratoho@Oct 19 2004, 16:20
Actually, TS don't fall under the majority T rule, according to the rules help line at GW. Since they are MCs, they can be picked out of the squad of scarabs and fired on individually. All hits against the unit as a whole would all go to the scarabs first. Once all their wounds were finished, then remaining hits would go against the TS, and they would be figured at T6, so no instant kills.
[snapback]233367[/snapback]​
Rulzboyz arn't the most reliable source of information. That's mostly right. If you fire two las cannons at a squad of TS and one swarm, they are both instant kills.

#12 ·
Thx again guys. I forgot to mention that my friend also has 2 flayed ones so even though that's hardly anything, it's a start to the squad. I'll look into more flayed ones (especially since they're cheaper than the immortals, pariahs, etc). I'll also get another squad of warriors which will bring my warrior count to 34 and scarab count up to 9. My question is though, how do the scarabs work and what do they do? I checked the codex but it doesn't really say anything about how they work. In the future I will also look at wraiths.

#13 ·
Originally posted by havok735@Oct 19 2004, 13:53

[snapback]233349[/snapback]​
Some aspects of what you said were right, others were wrong. Most Necron players use Destroyers for two things, #1 being to destroy tanks that can take out the lith. Warriors do not have the range to do this fast enough (unless you get a lucky warp). #2 being to destroy tanks that drop big pie plates on your warriors befor they do to much damage. Again Warriors don't have the range to do this fast enough. After they do this, I could care less if they died.

Tomb Spyders did lose some thunder, but I would still use them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.