Venomthropes in a pod... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x1)

Venomthropes in a pod...

Can they be anything more than a gimmick? The only reason I could see to do it is to protect shooty elements that pod into enemy territory, and maybe keep them from being assaulted, or at least punish the attackers in the attempt. Though of course, the venoms would be subject to the same unpredictability of reserves rolls and deep strike drifts, so it's not really a reliable strategy. Plus, you know, elites slot. :T

Hive Fleet Papillon Inventory Profile

Ad majorem Dei gloriam

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't see a use for it myself, surely the entire point of thropes is to set them up with your army so that you can get a nice cover save as you advance. Drop podding them seems to defeat the point of that as they'll appear randomly and not do great against anything.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you want to trust reserve rolls, they could be used to provide cover for an outflanking unit.

For example, if you have a unit that is going to claim an objective, the thropes can give them cover/defensive grenades.

but yeah...highly circumstancial

Shire can't handle me Warlord Vrrmik's Avatar
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2085 (x8)

Putting Venomthropes in a Mycetic Spore is like a broken pencil - pointless.

What a waste of an Elite slot. I'd rather Hive Guard any day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x1)

That's pretty much what I figured. I tried to come up with a list that could conceivably use them, and found that I had to sacrifice dependable shooting AND the assault phase to buoid a list around a unit that will MAYBE go where you want it to, MAYBE when you want it to. That said, what would happen if the parameters were extended? Like, podding Venoms is clearly unworkable in any normal list, but what if you were DSing a significant amount of your army in an Apoc list?
    Hive Fleet Papillon Inventory Profile

Ad majorem Dei gloriam

Shire can't handle me Warlord Vrrmik's Avatar
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    2085 (x8)

Perhaps. I'm still not swayed, but I won't say anything because I have no experience with Apoc lists.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

venomthropes would be kind of a null point in apoc. Since apoc is most often (though not necessarily) ruled by titans and str D weapons, cover won't mean much.

That's right, str D ignores all cover saves....so str D large blast on a unit that has just deep striked is begging to die

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x1)

I think you could get some laughs out of a squad of venomthropes in a pod. It would be like throwing a smoke bomb on the table except figuratively.
    Reese's Space Marine and Tyranid WIP Thread: Warp Masters and Friends

+ Reply to Thread